Peregrine or TTSX - Lightweight 30-06

Hello Edge
The Peregrine VRG3 165 grain bullet is deadly in the 30-06! I used them last year and gave them to a PH friend of mine.

The performance was brilliant in every animal from duiker to eland at ranges between 65 to 230 meters. Muzzle velocity was 2780 FPS.

I hunted an ostrich at a measured 240 meters and that ‘ballistically challenged’ bullet went exactly where aimed!

I recommend them 100%!!!!

Regards,

BrokenArrow

I personally prefer the Peregrine, for my 30-06 i have the 165gr bushmasters loaded. great performance and have taken down up to an Eland with this combination.

And yes you are correct when it comes to Peregrine, you use a slightly lighter point then what you would use on your lead core bullets. But the 165gr seems to work well from the 30-06

Good to see more real world reports! Shouldn't be be much difference between the bushmaster and plainsmaster in terminal performance, I hope!

Received a shipping notification after placing the order last night last night, good service!

Will start with H4350 as that has worked very well for me in the past shooting 165gr Nosler Partitions. Will have to see how the case capacity vs powder volume vs velocity works out with the long 165gr. I have plenty of other powder choices on hand.

Edge

I would prefer the Peregrine bushmaster over the Barnes TTSX.

I used the TTSX in 2016 on PG in Namibia and didn't like that it shed pedals on zebra. I much prefer the older TSX for its durability on very large game.

another thing to note is that the Peregrine bullets leave MUCH LESS FOULING then the Barnes bullets in my rifles. the only reason I use Barnes in my 416 over peregrine is the 300gr TSX seems to shoot better then the 300gr Peregrine in that rifle. however in my 505 Gibbs the most accurate bullet I ever found was the 600gr Peregrine Bushmaster/solid combination!

-matt

Good to see more real world reports! Shouldn't be be much difference between the bushmaster and plainsmaster in terminal performance, I hope!

Received a shipping notification after placing the order last night last night, good service!

Will start with H4350 as that has worked very well for me in the past shooting 165gr Nosler Partitions. Will have to see how the case capacity vs powder volume vs velocity works out with the long 165gr. I have plenty of other powder choices on hand.

Edge

Definitely start lower by at least 5%. The Peregrines will be longer than a Partition and thus less case space. If you jump to your Partition load, you may very well be way over a safe pressure.

Definitely start lower by at least 5%. The Peregrines will be longer than a Partition and thus less case space. If you jump to your Partition load, you may very well be way over a safe pressure.

Only meant that H4350 would be my initial powder choice. I'll start with the initial Barnes TTSX 165/8 loads and work up from there.

Edge

Only meant that H4350 would be my initial powder choice. I'll start with the initial Barnes TTSX 165/8 loads and work up from there.

Edge

Good deal. Sorry I didn't mean to be condescending. I made the mistake of over stuffing a case with a TSX in front for a .300RUM I had about 8 years ago. What's the old saying of God looking out for those who are stupid? It wasn't pretty, but fortunately no one was hurt. It was a load with a normal lead bullet was safe.

Good deal. Sorry I didn't mean to be condescending. I made the mistake of over stuffing a case with a TSX in front for a .300RUM I had about 8 years ago. What's the old saying of God looking out for those who are stupid? It wasn't pretty, but fortunately no one was hurt. It was a load with a normal lead bullet was safe.

I didn't take it as condescending Phil and a good point to make if someone inexperienced swapped bullets with the same powder charge.

I need to do a better job communicating!

Edge

@Edge, Nikita used factory .30-06 TTSX loads quite successfully when we shared camp with you and Michelle. I would have no hesitation both from performance and recoil perspective with this. On the other hand, I know that playing with new equipment and ammo ideas is part of the fun of planning and helps pass the endless time before the hunt.

Don't underestimate the 30/06. Jack O'Connor's wife, Eleanor took elephant with it.
Zebra or Wildebeest are no problem - provided they're hit properly with a premium bullet.
I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful trip.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Phil, they produce excellent bullets. I currently only use their solids in my 500NE, but had a hunter use their VRG-3 bullet, which I think is the name of their soft bullet, on a Cape Buffalo hunt with me. Their " softs" is a full copper bullet with a brass plunger to assist with opening among impact. We recovered two of the bullets from the buff and their performance was flawless. The only reason I have not moved to any of their other calibers is because I'm a don't fix if it ain't broke kind of guy. This does not mean I wont start using them in the future.
@cmnhunt , any chance you could post a photo of that bullet we recovered from your buff?

Ed, if you can get a hold of them, the 165's in your 30-06 will take anything that might cross your path, even Eland.
mortar.jpg
Sure Marius

Just kidding. I can't find the bullet. Just go to the supermarket, find a whole mushroom, and imagine it copper. You'll have a perfect image then.

Been awhile since I’ve posted any additional info. Work, kids, life etc has been way too busy the past couple of months. I was able to sneak away to the range the other morning to verify actual drops for the 165gr Peregrine load. 1.5” group at 300 yards was a pleasant surprise, using a rest but was in prone position.

1.5 inches high at 100 puts me 9-9.5 inches low at 300, basically dead on at 175 - 200 yards. PH says longest shot will be 200 meters, I’m not touching it after adjusting a bit from the right orange target to the black target. Next post with the peregrines will hopefully be of a fully expanded bullet dug out of an African critter of some type in late July!
C5950338-CA7A-4B24-A0C1-EEAB4DEE8EFB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That should do the trick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg