Pellet gun loads for 450-400 3 inch?

Rell

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have some of those, mostly useless, shot shells for my 44 Mag revolver ….

Anyone ever load up brass rifle case with a pellet lode? To shoot blue duiker and stuff?

I might be able to get .41 plastic shells that they use for the 41 mag?

That would be a helluva snake load

You will find that if it engages the rifling at all your pattern will be thin and vast very quickly out of the muzzle. I once shot a high brass #6 out of a 12 ga. rifled slug gun. At ten yards the pattern was something like 12 feet in diameter and sparse.

I have a new to me gun that sort is supposed to be able to do that in reverse. I just haven't had time to play with it yet. A12 bore Paradox. Only the last 3 to 4 inches of the barrels are rifled. And that is sort of slanted so it should not engage shot. However it is supposed to put enough spin on a 730 grain lead bullet to stabilize it enough to be accurate to 100 yards. Not going to shoot an elephant like one would be able to with a 450/400NE. But I'm going to be dearly tempted to shoot a buffalo with it one day;)

I have a new to me gun that sort is supposed to be able to do that in reverse. I just haven't had time to play with it yet. A12 bore Paradox. Only the last 3 to 4 inches of the barrels are rifled. And that is sort of slanted so it should not engage shot. However it is supposed to put enough spin on a 730 grain lead bullet to stabilize it enough to be accurate to 100 yards. Not going to shoot an elephant like one would be able to with a 450/400NE. But I'm going to be dearly tempted to shoot a buffalo with it one day;)
Got one as well. Mine is a William Evans - who built yours?

Thanks to Ross Seyfried, his loads shoot four 740 gr bullets into sub three-inches at 100 yards (LxR/LxR). Tony Makris (Under Wild Skies) has taken several buffalo with his Paradox guns and Ross's loads. The H&H factory load does the same thing at 60 yards or so.

Haven't tried a duiker loading (No. 4 shot?), but it shoots lovely light mod patterns with 1 1/8 ounce no. 6 and smaller loads. As I have mentioned elsewhere here, at a waterhole in Namibia it rolled two warthog for leopard bait and created a mound of sand grouse in the last two hours before dusk. Incredible century + old technology.

William Evans Paradox 12 bore

By the way, you can order a brand new one from Holland & Holland for a base price of only 130,000 pounds sterling (that is 177,710 USD). :oops: Did I mention I love my 110 year old Evans.

Last edited:
Got one as well. Mine is a William Evans - who built yours?

Thanks to Ross Seyfried, his loads shoot four 740 gr bullets into sub three-inches at 100 yards (LxR/LxR). Tony Makris (Under Wild Skies) has taken several buffalo with his Paradox guns and Ross's loads. The H&H factory load does the same thing at 60 yards or so.

Haven't tried a duiker loading (No. 4 shot?), but it shoots lovely light mod patterns with 1 1/8 ounce no. 6 and smaller loads. As I have mentioned elsewhere here, at a waterhole in Namibia it rolled two warthog for leopard bait and created a mound of sand grouse in the last two hours before dusk. Incredible century + old technology.

William Evans Paradox 12 bore

By the way, you can order a brand new one from Holland & Holland for a base price of only 130,000 pounds sterling (that is 177,710 USD). :oops: Did I mention I love my 110 year old Evans.
Joe mine is a Holland & Holland Royal made in 1900. It was re proofed in London in 2004 to 850 bar with 3" chambers. And re-stocked by Reto Buehler. 7 groove 3" ratchet rifling Paradox choked.

Last edited:
Joe mine is a Holland & Holland Royal made in 1900. It was re proofed in London on 2004 to 850 bar with 3" chambers. And re-stocked by Reto Buehler. 7 grooce 3" ratchet rifling Paradox choked.
Dude. That is a magnificent thing. And 3" chambers as well. You will likely have to special load it to get it to regulate, but I would certainly try the H&H factory loads. What an incredible find.

Dude. That is a magnificent thing. And 3" chambers as well. You will likely have to special load it to get it to regulate, but I would certainly try the H&H factory loads. What an incredible find.
I have some 2 3/4" loads that look promising;)

May not be buffalo loads but might try to shoot a deer or hog :)
20210919_223726.jpg
20210919_224032.jpg
20210919_224024.jpg
20210919_224048.jpg

Excellent! I am shooting essentially the same load with the same construction (ring crimp) but a 740 gr bullet. It is absolutely lethal on pigs on any continent.

I really would like to see a picture of the gun. :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyone has ever patterned a shot load shot through a rifled barrel using plastic shot cups. so that the shot never comes into contact with the rifling. Back in 1971, soon after I had taken delivery of my Krieghoff Teck three barrel set (.458 WM, .375 H&H and 20 gauge 3" magnum), I used to take it to the skeet range and shoot skeet with the 20 gauge barrels. Occasionally, I would use the .458 barrels with .410 shot shells and plastic shot cups. The shot cups were primarily to prevent leading the bore, but since I was able to hit targets with the shells, I wonder what effect they had on the pattern. (Shooting skeet international style with a scoped rifle is a hoot, but it certainly has a positive effect on one's target acquisition skills. The scope in question is a 2 1/2X Lyman All American with a post and crosshair reticle.) (The .410 fired shells had to be discarded as un-useable.)

I wonder if anyone has ever patterned a shot load shot through a rifled barrel using plastic shot cups. so that the shot never comes into contact with the rifling. Back in 1971, soon after I had taken delivery of my Krieghoff Teck three barrel set (.458 WM, .375 H&H and 20 gauge 3" magnum), I used to take it to the skeet range and shoot skeet with the 20 gauge barrels. Occasionally, I would use the .458 barrels with .410 shot shells and plastic shot cups. The shot cups were primarily to prevent leading the bore, but since I was able to hit targets with the shells, I wonder what effect they had on the pattern. (Shooting skeet international style with a scoped rifle is a hoot, but it certainly has a positive effect on one's target acquisition skills. The scope in question is a 2 1/2X Lyman All American with a post and crosshair reticle.) (The .410 fired shells had to be discarded as un-useable.)
I have fired shot in shot cups through a twelve gauge slug gun that was fully rifled. The pattern was explosive in the spread. My vision was to change to a shot shell if a turkey appeared while deer hunting. The vision evaporated when a piece of plywood at ten yards didn't look all that affected after three shots. Ymmv.

You shot international skeet with .410 shells in scoped .458 barrels? :unsure: I would like to see that. I would have to believe the shot cup almost certainly would accentuate the spin imparted to the shot. I don't believe you would have a "pattern" at twenty feet much less 20 yards. I shoot the occasional rattler around the place with a S&W 6" 686 and shot loads. The muzzle has to be very nearly in striking range of the snake to do any damage. The .38 carries 2/10's of an ounce of shot. Standard .410 skeet load is 1/2 ounce. That extra 3/10 of an ounce isn't going to make much difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danpowder

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you