Pellet gun loads for 450-400 3 inch?

Rell

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have some of those, mostly useless, shot shells for my 44 Mag revolver ….

Anyone ever load up brass rifle case with a pellet lode? To shoot blue duiker and stuff?

I might be able to get .41 plastic shells that they use for the 41 mag?

That would be a helluva snake load

You will find that if it engages the rifling at all your pattern will be thin and vast very quickly out of the muzzle. I once shot a high brass #6 out of a 12 ga. rifled slug gun. At ten yards the pattern was something like 12 feet in diameter and sparse.

I have a new to me gun that sort is supposed to be able to do that in reverse. I just haven't had time to play with it yet. A12 bore Paradox. Only the last 3 to 4 inches of the barrels are rifled. And that is sort of slanted so it should not engage shot. However it is supposed to put enough spin on a 730 grain lead bullet to stabilize it enough to be accurate to 100 yards. Not going to shoot an elephant like one would be able to with a 450/400NE. But I'm going to be dearly tempted to shoot a buffalo with it one day;)

I have a new to me gun that sort is supposed to be able to do that in reverse. I just haven't had time to play with it yet. A12 bore Paradox. Only the last 3 to 4 inches of the barrels are rifled. And that is sort of slanted so it should not engage shot. However it is supposed to put enough spin on a 730 grain lead bullet to stabilize it enough to be accurate to 100 yards. Not going to shoot an elephant like one would be able to with a 450/400NE. But I'm going to be dearly tempted to shoot a buffalo with it one day;)
Got one as well. Mine is a William Evans - who built yours?

Thanks to Ross Seyfried, his loads shoot four 740 gr bullets into sub three-inches at 100 yards (LxR/LxR). Tony Makris (Under Wild Skies) has taken several buffalo with his Paradox guns and Ross's loads. The H&H factory load does the same thing at 60 yards or so.

Haven't tried a duiker loading (No. 4 shot?), but it shoots lovely light mod patterns with 1 1/8 ounce no. 6 and smaller loads. As I have mentioned elsewhere here, at a waterhole in Namibia it rolled two warthog for leopard bait and created a mound of sand grouse in the last two hours before dusk. Incredible century + old technology.

William Evans Paradox 12 bore

By the way, you can order a brand new one from Holland & Holland for a base price of only 130,000 pounds sterling (that is 177,710 USD). :oops: Did I mention I love my 110 year old Evans.

Last edited:
Got one as well. Mine is a William Evans - who built yours?

Thanks to Ross Seyfried, his loads shoot four 740 gr bullets into sub three-inches at 100 yards (LxR/LxR). Tony Makris (Under Wild Skies) has taken several buffalo with his Paradox guns and Ross's loads. The H&H factory load does the same thing at 60 yards or so.

Haven't tried a duiker loading (No. 4 shot?), but it shoots lovely light mod patterns with 1 1/8 ounce no. 6 and smaller loads. As I have mentioned elsewhere here, at a waterhole in Namibia it rolled two warthog for leopard bait and created a mound of sand grouse in the last two hours before dusk. Incredible century + old technology.

William Evans Paradox 12 bore

By the way, you can order a brand new one from Holland & Holland for a base price of only 130,000 pounds sterling (that is 177,710 USD). :oops: Did I mention I love my 110 year old Evans.
Joe mine is a Holland & Holland Royal made in 1900. It was re proofed in London in 2004 to 850 bar with 3" chambers. And re-stocked by Reto Buehler. 7 groove 3" ratchet rifling Paradox choked.

Last edited:
Joe mine is a Holland & Holland Royal made in 1900. It was re proofed in London on 2004 to 850 bar with 3" chambers. And re-stocked by Reto Buehler. 7 grooce 3" ratchet rifling Paradox choked.
Dude. That is a magnificent thing. And 3" chambers as well. You will likely have to special load it to get it to regulate, but I would certainly try the H&H factory loads. What an incredible find.

Dude. That is a magnificent thing. And 3" chambers as well. You will likely have to special load it to get it to regulate, but I would certainly try the H&H factory loads. What an incredible find.
I have some 2 3/4" loads that look promising;)

May not be buffalo loads but might try to shoot a deer or hog :)
20210919_223726.jpg
20210919_224032.jpg
20210919_224024.jpg
20210919_224048.jpg

Excellent! I am shooting essentially the same load with the same construction (ring crimp) but a 740 gr bullet. It is absolutely lethal on pigs on any continent.

I really would like to see a picture of the gun. :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyone has ever patterned a shot load shot through a rifled barrel using plastic shot cups. so that the shot never comes into contact with the rifling. Back in 1971, soon after I had taken delivery of my Krieghoff Teck three barrel set (.458 WM, .375 H&H and 20 gauge 3" magnum), I used to take it to the skeet range and shoot skeet with the 20 gauge barrels. Occasionally, I would use the .458 barrels with .410 shot shells and plastic shot cups. The shot cups were primarily to prevent leading the bore, but since I was able to hit targets with the shells, I wonder what effect they had on the pattern. (Shooting skeet international style with a scoped rifle is a hoot, but it certainly has a positive effect on one's target acquisition skills. The scope in question is a 2 1/2X Lyman All American with a post and crosshair reticle.) (The .410 fired shells had to be discarded as un-useable.)

I wonder if anyone has ever patterned a shot load shot through a rifled barrel using plastic shot cups. so that the shot never comes into contact with the rifling. Back in 1971, soon after I had taken delivery of my Krieghoff Teck three barrel set (.458 WM, .375 H&H and 20 gauge 3" magnum), I used to take it to the skeet range and shoot skeet with the 20 gauge barrels. Occasionally, I would use the .458 barrels with .410 shot shells and plastic shot cups. The shot cups were primarily to prevent leading the bore, but since I was able to hit targets with the shells, I wonder what effect they had on the pattern. (Shooting skeet international style with a scoped rifle is a hoot, but it certainly has a positive effect on one's target acquisition skills. The scope in question is a 2 1/2X Lyman All American with a post and crosshair reticle.) (The .410 fired shells had to be discarded as un-useable.)
I have fired shot in shot cups through a twelve gauge slug gun that was fully rifled. The pattern was explosive in the spread. My vision was to change to a shot shell if a turkey appeared while deer hunting. The vision evaporated when a piece of plywood at ten yards didn't look all that affected after three shots. Ymmv.

You shot international skeet with .410 shells in scoped .458 barrels? :unsure: I would like to see that. I would have to believe the shot cup almost certainly would accentuate the spin imparted to the shot. I don't believe you would have a "pattern" at twenty feet much less 20 yards. I shoot the occasional rattler around the place with a S&W 6" 686 and shot loads. The muzzle has to be very nearly in striking range of the snake to do any damage. The .38 carries 2/10's of an ounce of shot. Standard .410 skeet load is 1/2 ounce. That extra 3/10 of an ounce isn't going to make much difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg