Peep sight recomendation?

wislnwings

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I'm looking for a recommendation for a Peep sight for my Interarms Whitworth 375 h&h. I'm going to be putting one of the necg ghost rings on my 500 Jeffery soon and would like to find something similar for my 375. The receiver is tapped so I would like to find something that will screw right on. The rifle is used primarily for hunting deer and hogs in the swamp. It is the synthetic stocked rifle in the picture. Any recommendations?

20160528_163503.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went down this path myself with a .416Rigby and 7x57. One option is to simply fit a rear sight base and an XS aperture. Here is the set up with the sight reversed (mounted back to front) to get the correct sight plane, on my custom 7x57 Mauser '98. They are a very adjustable sight. I couldn't load with a stripper clip like this, but ejection was uncompromised. Your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• GunStuffTwo007.jpg
    GunStuffTwo007.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5,255
I got a set of Talley bases and a Talley QD peep to fit on it for the 6.5x57 I am building which is a great combination. I have a bolt aperture on my 7x57 that is probably the best of the lot but the cost is up there and had a Williams on my 404 Jeffery.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a Peep sight for my Interarms Whitworth 375 h&h. I'm going to be putting one of the necg ghost rings on my 500 Jeffery soon and would like to find something similar for my 375. The receiver is tapped so I would like to find something that will screw right on

@wislnwings That sight is also available for Weaver bases. If you wish to keep everything the same, buy the Weaver version and get a Weaver base fitted to the receiver bridge.

Hello wislnwings,

Likewise, I am very fond of peep sights (great minds think alike).
Redfield and Lyman both used to make all steel receiver sights to fit the FN Commercial Model 98 actions, so popular before manufacturing costs became too high and these actions stopped arriving in other countries by the hundreds, if not by the thousands (the good old days).
Anyway, the Mark-X (Interarms) Model 98 action is drilled and tapped on the right side of the rear receiver ring, with the exact same pattern as the good old FN was.
In other words, the Interarms will readily accept the above two vintage receiver/peep sights.
(But, these type of sight require a notch be carefully cut out of the stock to fit the "block" that contains both the mounting screws, as well as the elevation adjustments).

Unfortunately, when you find either one these days, such a finely made sight will cost between $100. and $200.US dollars.
www.gunsinternational.com is where I have bought several such receiver sights over the years.
After I have determined my correct receiver sight height, (to match my front sight and my shooting style), then I like to install a rear scope base on top of the rear receiver ring that, has been ground down to just contact the underside of my receiver sight.
That way, if the sight is bumped, it is less likely to become damaged.

Back when I was hunting and informal target shooting a lot more than I have been lately, I have done some very fine work with an aperture sight on several of my rifles.
My first one was a Smith-Corona built 1903-A3 Springfield .30-06, that I bought for $40. in what appeared to be unfired condition, when I was 16.
I left it all original (did not "sporterize" it) and among other amazing shots with this rifle, I many times squarely hit long range ground squirrels with it, in northern California and Nevada.
Likewise, the peep sight was very fast to pick up erratic running jack rabbits with at close range.
Most people do not appreciate how useful a properly installed and regulated peep sight can be.

I look forward to seeing how the sight arrangement turns out on your Whitworth Mauser.
They are very fine rifles for an affordable price.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I thought about going the Weaver base route and using the same type of ghost ring sight but I am concerned about the additional height I would be adding. I do like the idea of keep things consistent though.

I once owned a Remington model 30 express in 30/06 that had an old Redfield receiver sight on it. That was a sweet shooting setup. Took a few deer and a bunch of nutria with it. I even made a neck shot on a doe that my buddy couldn't believe I could make without a scope. But he watched me do it. I never should have parted with that rifle.....may need to shop around for another one. I may need to look into that setup for the 375. I don't think modifying the stock would be too much trouble. I'm already planning to send it to McMillan to have the length of pull shortened and the stock refinished.

I decided on a Williams receiver sight. I had to slightly modify my stock to fit but nothing major. I also gave the stock a fresh coat of paint. I haven't had as chance to shoot it and sight it in yet. I am concerned about the length of the elevation screw being so short. It will only adjust to the middle of the scale before it comes out. I'm going to contact Williams about a longer one just in case.
20160807_171428.jpg
20160807_171442.jpg

That'l work

I finally got to the range to sight it in and discovered that the elevation screw is too short. I called Williams to order but the tech I needed to speak to is off until Tuesday so I'll have to call back. The rifle shot my hand loads with the Midway bulk clearances bullets pretty good. Bottom left target was 8 rounds at 50 yards through a hot barrel. This was also as close as I could get for elevation adjustment.
20160902_134655.jpg

I have used the M16/AR15 with issue peep sights with amazing results. No surprise now, but as a young recruit it was quite a revelation hitting silhouettes at 300m

I tried an NECG ghost ring on my CZ 550 Safari Magnum .458 Win Mag. But I found that I could not line it up on target no where near as fast as the factory express sights.
As far as target shooting or pin point it's good. If I had to throw down on something coming in fast I'd have to choose the express sights.

I tried an NECG ghost ring on my CZ 550 Safari Magnum .458 Win Mag. But I found that I could not line it up on target no where near as fast as the factory express sights.
As far as target shooting or pin point it's good. If I had to throw down on something coming in fast I'd have to choose the express sights.

Fair enough. I often find open sights difficult for all-round use, unless they comprise a fiber-optic foresight and a fiber-optic backsight. I can get good results out to 25m with well made black open-sights in good light, i.e. out in the open but would only trust fiber-optic amongst the trees and even then, only to about 50m maximum, dependent upon ambient light.

My Lyman 57 peep backsight is good to 75m with the thinned down and reblacked foresight on my Brno Volkspolizei Model 98 in 8x57IS.

You're good on your sight. Don't mess with the rear. Get a new front sight that regulates and call it done. A slightly taller front should center your Williams adjustments beautifully.

It's late. I meant to say a shorter front sight. You want your Williams centered in its adjustment range. A lower front will move Point of aim up. NECG will have a fix for little money that gets you adjusted. You may lose accuracy with your rear at the extreme edge of its adjustment ranges which I assume are set to tallest setting presently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross