Hyde Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
first time building a pedestal for a Gemsbuck that will get here about a year from now so my question is: what type of bracket would be used to attach to the pedestal the to the mount. thanks Jim

My pedestals have square stock extending down 4 to 6” below bottom of mount. Mounts into female slot in pedestal. You can lift up and out, turn 90 degrees in any direction. 1” to 1.25” square stock. Depends on animal and taxidermist. You can ask your man what’s he’s going to use, but I would NOT build the female insert into my pedestal until i could put my eyes and tape on the finished mount. My $.02

My Kudu had a solid 1 inch steel rod coming out the bottom of the mount. I made an appropriate sized hole in the top (dead center) of the base to accommodate. Internal support was provided to stabilize the rod end nearer of the middle (vertical) of the pedestal.

My taxidermist used what looks like a 3/4” all thread rod.

Check with your taxidermist. I have a bunch of pedestal mounts (all from the same taxidermist) and some have an all-thread rod coming out of the base of the mount and you tighten the nut on the rod inside of the pedestal.

Other mounts have a 1" i.d. square steel tube inside the mount and it fits over a 1" square rod that is attached to the pedestal.

Depends on the base material and design. This old fence post the core was gone so stubbed-up a 2x4 and used the typical wall bracket.

206D9D1D-86B7-4CF0-B63D-410B7D1DB3A5.jpeg

You would be wise to verify what extends from the base or wait until it arrives to do that last bit. I asked the taxidermist what they used and planned on that only to find when it arrived that the threaded rod was shorter and much larger in diameter than I was told.

I will work on making the pedestal then when it gets here see what they used, I might give the taxidermy company an email and ask what they use so I have an idea thanks for the help and nice buck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg