Pedersoli

freefall

AH member
Reaction score
I am a plebian who recently acquired my first double rifle, a Pedersoli Kodiak Mk IV in .45-70.
Does anybody know anything about them, as opposed to "I heard.."
I haven't shot it yet, but wondering what kind of loads I can use in it. I have been using HSM hear loads, 430 gr @ 1800 fps in my Marlin 1895 and want to know they won't damage it.

Hunter4752001

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
An email to the company, or the distributor in your country, should give you the most authority answer.

NJC

AH member
Reaction score
Media
There is nothing plebian about having that pedersoli! I have thought about getting one for a long time. Did you buy straight from a distributor and get to pick from the stack (so to say) or did you buy sight unseen? Would you mind sharing pictures of yours?

I apologize that I don’t have any information on the original topic other than to say that they are also offered in 9.3 and 8x57jrs....

congrats on the new double!!!

robert kuester

AH member
Reaction score
You can shoot any over the counter factory load but not the heavy Buffalo magnum load. Kodiaks may need 2 sights. one for each barrel. They won't regulate,

tarawa

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
USA, Canada
My Kodiaks all have express sights. All regulated well enough to hunt with. None are tack drivers, but I didn’t buy them to target shoot with. I do have all the calibers and have taken game with two of them. I have not shot the 9.3x74 yet but the member here that I purchased it from says 2” spread at 50 yards.

freefall

AH member
Reaction score
There is nothing plebian about having that pedersoli! I have thought about getting one for a long time. Did you buy straight from a distributor and get to pick from the stack (so to say) or did you buy sight unseen? Would you mind sharing pictures of yours?

I apologize that I don’t have any information on the original topic other than to say that they are also offered in 9.3 and 8x57jrs....

congrats on the new double!!!
I bought it unseen from a friend of a friend who got a deal on an estate.
I'd like to share pictures but am too technologically maladroit. It's all I can do to try to keep up with the autocorrect which seems to abhor my vocabulary.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe

Woodcarver

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
I am a plebian who recently acquired my first double rifle, a Pedersoli Kodiak Mk IV in .45-70.
Does anybody know anything about them, as opposed to "I heard.."
I haven't shot it yet, but wondering what kind of loads I can use in it. I have been using HSM hear loads, 430 gr @ 1800 fps in my Marlin 1895 and want to know they won't damage it.
I shoot mine quite often, love it. It handles my 405gr JSP at 1750 load with no issues giving me 3"-4" at 75 yards consistently. Mine was regulated with factory 405 at 1300 according to the target that came with it, but does well with the hotter loads. Beyond 75 yards however, I have to reduce weight and speed things up to retain regulation. A 350gr around 1950 keeps things good to about 120-130 yards. Haven't worked beyond that, ran out of 350gr bullets, lol. Btw, factory 405 at 1300 doesn't work beyond 75yards either.
According to Pedersoli, it is rated for "medium" pressure. That would put it at 28000cup. From other sources, not Pedersoli, but a gunsmith, who indicated that the action is quite strong. More than a few have been rechambered to 450NE#2. Often, reregulating is not necessary, but it might be.
I am not willing to try any of the Ruger loads in mine; don't see the point. But using load data for the lever guns has worked well for me since 2009. I have loaded 405JSP, and cast from 350gr to 503gr. It shoots all of it well as long as I don't go past 75 yards. Hot 350s being the exception. Haven't tried the 325FTX yet, but plan to.
Mine has well over 1k rounds so far, very few at factory (Trapdoor) velocity, and still very tight. Several javelinas and a hog have dropped, drt, with a 405gr slug. Have fun with yours!
You can shoot any over the counter factory load but not the heavy Buffalo magnum load. Kodiaks may need 2 sights. one for each barrel. They won't regulate,
This hasn't been true since the very early imports. These were imported under Trail Guns Armory, iirc.

freefall

AH member
Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughtful and cogent reply!
THIS is how a forum should function. People with knowledge sharing as opposed to people without opining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommiePipp

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?