Captain Munro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone know anything or have any experience with the Pedersoli Kodiak Mark IV in 450 NE? I knew they made this rifle in 45-70 for a while, but just happened to see they made it in 450 NE now. I can't seem to find any reviews or range reports for it, other than the basic information on their website. I am just curious because it is a new "affordable" option for someone who wants a double and might not be taking it to Africa necessarily. It also just looks pretty cool!
kodiak-mark-iv-24.jpg

IMO - There are better options out there for a DR. Probably not one so affordable, but I will say you get what you pay for. Like driving a new car off the dealer lot, this rifle will immediately drop in value after you buy it...even if it's unfired you are not likely to recoup the entire cost of this rifle if purchased new.

I know, I know...you don't buy rifles looking at resale value. You buy from the heart and what feels right at the time. And if this feels right...don't let me (or anyone else) stop you from your dream.

If it were me, I'd save my pennies for a Krieghoff Big Five or Blaser S2. Both can be had for reasonable prices if bought used and then refurbished.

IMO - There are better options out there for a DR. Probably not one so affordable, but I will say you get what you pay for. Like driving a new car off the dealer lot, this rifle will immediately drop in value after you buy it...even if it's unfired you are not likely to recoup the entire cost of this rifle if purchased new.

I know, I know...you don't buy rifles looking at resale value. You buy from the heart and what feels right at the time. And if this feels right...don't let me (or anyone else) stop you from your dream.

If it were me, I'd save my pennies for a Krieghoff Big Five or Blaser S2. Both can be had for reasonable prices if bought used and then refurbished.
I am definitely holding out for something like a Krieghoff in the distant future. I was just curious about this one.

There is a GunDigest artical about someone who rechamber the Kodiak to .45/120 and gets it up where it would be considered a biggame rifle. I have handled the Kodiak but never fired one. They are massive and to a point cumbersome. Weight/recoilwise a .450nitro would not be bad in such gun.

They are muzzle heavy....they have hammers.....so unless you are very dedicated to practising through that to get competent with it I would suggest buying a conventional double even if you save for it....most double toting clients do not understand the importance and time to be able to use a conventianal double rifle let alone a hammer double rifle ......

I
They are muzzle heavy....they have hammers.....so unless you are very dedicated to practising through that to get competent with it I would suggest buying a conventional double even if you save for it....most double toting clients do not understand the importance and time to be able to use a conventianal double rifle let alone a hammer double rifle ......
I would not buy one with hammers for DG hunting, perosnally. In a few years I'll will be after something more conventional. Might be just cool if one was a collector.

I have shot a Kodak muzzleloader double rifle. It was a good friends. I believe it was .50 cal? Anyway, it was a good shooter, well regulated and reasonably balanced. That doesn’t say much about the cartridge gun, but I did like that rifle. Their whitworth express rifle reproduction is a very fine firearm.

Does anyone know anything or have any experience with the Pedersoli Kodiak Mark IV in 450 NE? I knew they made this rifle in 45-70 for a while, but just happened to see they made it in 450 NE now. I can't seem to find any reviews or range reports for it, other than the basic information on their website. I am just curious because it is a new "affordable" option for someone who wants a double and might not be taking it to Africa necessarily. It also just looks pretty cool!View attachment 444546
I have one in 45-70. Still available in that. Very well balanced and a pleasure to shoot at 10 lbs, even with hot loads. The importer has not been able to get any of the Pedersolis in this year from my conversation with them. I would expect this to change before too much longer.
The fit and finish is pretty good on these. I have a couple Pedersoli rifles, and find they are cleanly inletted. Oil finish walnut. One of the less expensive DR out there for sure, but still solidly made.
As some have pointed out, rabbit ears might not be ideal for a DG rifle, but that's a personal choice thing to me. That's what practice is for.
Saw one with a scope on it once, looked bad, lol. Just doesn't work with the hammers, for me.

I

I would not buy one with hammers for DG hunting, perosnally. In a few years I'll will be after something more conventional. Might be just cool if one was a collector.
In that case a good pig gun but a collector it aint.

I have one in 45-70. Still available in that. Very well balanced and a pleasure to shoot at 10 lbs, even with hot loads. The importer has not been able to get any of the Pedersolis in this year from my conversation with them. I would expect this to change before too much longer.
The fit and finish is pretty good on these. I have a couple Pedersoli rifles, and find they are cleanly inletted. Oil finish walnut. One of the less expensive DR out there for sure, but still solidly made.
As some have pointed out, rabbit ears might not be ideal for a DG rifle, but that's a personal choice thing to me. That's what practice is for.
Saw one with a scope on it once, looked bad, lol. Just doesn't work with the hammers, for me.
It wouldn't do it for me either. Doubles don't look right with optics.
I would train hard with any DG rifle as I would prefer to not be lunch or made into1 people jelly haha. I can see the hammers being an issue for a couple reasons. I did watch a guy use a hammer double on This is Africa on YouTube.

My Dad has a Pedersoli Rolling Block and it is a superb gun, both fit/finish and accuracy. Does the Italian Firearms Group import Pedersoli?
Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!