PCR Testing

Ryan Wilson

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa, Texas, Wyoming, Alberta Canada, South Africa
I have a friend hunting in SA and is confused as to if the 72 hour time frame for the PCR starts from his flight to Atlanta or from his flight from Atlanta to JNB? I wasn’t sure how to answer that. I would think his first flight. There’s a 3.5 hr layover and it’s over the holidays. Thanks

Last edited:
Is he using a travel agent? If so, they're your best resource. Changes can happen overnight.

Last edited:
There are lots of 24 hour PCR testing options now. I’d spend the money on a same day test rather than risk a hunt to an airport official’s interpretation on that particular day. If the rules change or the flight has an extended delay you are covered as well.

The hunter's outfitter should be helping him with getting the hunter's PCR test administered in a timely manner.

The test should be done within 72 hrs of departure from Africa. Mine was a "salsa" test. Provided sample one morning and it was transported to the lab, had the results the following morning and flew back to US the next day.

The hunter's outfitter should be helping him with getting the hunter's PCR test administered in a timely manner.

The test should be done within 72 hrs of departure from Africa. Mine was a "salsa" test. Provided sample one morning and it was transported to the lab, had the results the following morning and flew back to US the next day.
He’s asking about leaving USA not returning, but Biden just changed this to 24 hours on return to USA now I believe?

Rapid Antigen tests are acceptable by CDC and results in about 30 minutes, to enter the US. PCR are required to enter SA, 72 hours prior, but not required to for entry to the US, under the 24 hour rule. As I understand after reading current CDC. Please correct me if this incorrect.

I have a friend hunting in SA and is confused as to if the 72 hour time frame for the PCR starts from his flight to Atlanta or from his flight from Atlanta to JNB? I wasn’t sure how to answer that. I would think his first flight. There’s a 3.5 hr layover and it’s over the holidays. Thanks
I am not sure from the post exactly where your friend is presently. Going to RSA is a PCR within 72 hours coming back is PCR or rapid within 24 hours.
Most airlines have good info on their websites.
Philip

I went to Namibia in September, now I know this 3 months later and everything is changed but here's what I did and it worked...
Flew out of Boston, got the test in the airport hours before boarding. A few notes
It was expensive
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE!!!!
There are two lines for the test, appointment and no appointment. At 1730 they closed and 20 plus people in the no appointment line had no option to fly that day.
We all got a Covid test a few days before the flight, we didn't want to drive hours to Boston only to fail the test.

He’s flying out of DHN to ATL then to JNB. Does the 72 hours start with his flight out of DHN or ATL? I assumed it would be his first flight which is taking him to ATL. That’s the info he was looking for.

Back in August, his first flight. As others have noted, this changes regularly. He should use a travel agent who specializes in booking hunters and their firearms. Such an agency will always have the latest and will monitor it to the day of departure.

As I have read..72 hours prior to first leg of the trip prior to arrival in SA. Check CDC sight for each countries requirements…very informational.

He’s flying out of DHN to ATL then to JNB. Does the 72 hours start with his flight out of DHN or ATL? I assumed it would be his first flight which is taking him to ATL. That’s the info he was looking for.

Hi Ryan,

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) “Ready to Fly, Travel Regulations“ link takes you to a Global map, click on the S. Africa “must have a neg. PCR test results issued atmost 72-hrs before departure from first embarkation point” That‘s DHN.

I had a group of friends Hunting S. Africa in Sept & their flight route was Fargo, ND - Dallas - Doha - JNB & they interrupted first embarkation point as International Flight from Dallas - Wrong! Fargo verified all COVID testing as first embarkation & because, Fargo confirmed their flights to Final Destination - JNB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross