PayPal limited/banned

CoElkHunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Just thought of something else (don’t get old). I recently bought some reloading powder from Bass Pro online and ship to my local store. The statement on the invoice stated the buyer can’t use PayPal to purchase this item? It’s on their restricted item list.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
i like personal checks, as i hold the item untill my bank says its a go. and i send checks with the item to be held untill check go,s thru.

CoElkHunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
i like personal checks, as i hold the item untill my bank says its a go. and i send checks with the item to be held untill check go,s thru.
I do to. Depending on the amount I’m sending in a standard envelope, for $4.00 I send it certified mail with a tracking number. Awhile back, being somewhat new to purchasing firearms/ammo online, I bought a handgun through GB to be sent to my FFL. I sent the seller a Western Union money order (which are good) in a standard stamped envelope. Apparently it was “lost” by the USPS as he didn’t get it for 14 days! At day 9, I sent him a USPS MO with a tracking number. After 30 days, I received a refund from WU, but I had to float the $850 until then. What a friggin hassle! I always send larger funds with a USPS tracking number now. Live and learn!

JimP

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I get a email from scammers every now and then saying that they are from PP and that my account was shut down or banned and I needed to follow a link to reinstate it.

I used to send the email to PP but it got to be too much of a hassle so I just send them to the spam folder.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Do not click on any link provided in an email seemingly from PayPal to you. There are numerous phishing scams that will get you to "Log In" to your account. Simply go to your actual account through their actual website to see if there is an issue. I suspect there isn't.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
Do not click on any link provided in an email seemingly from PayPal to you. There are numerous phishing scams that will get you to "Log In" to your account. Simply go to your actual account through their actual website to see if there is an issue. I suspect there isn't.
Unfortunately it’s a real issue. My account relfects this.

CoElkHunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I don’t know how PayPal works since I’ve never used it, but if you use a major credit card and you get scammed, your not out your money? A couple of times this has happened to me and my wife and the credit card company ate (wrote off) the loss. Federal law I guess?

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
I’m not familiar with how PayPal works in that regard. My bank and credit card company also do their best to rectify fraud like you’re saying.

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.13.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.13.48 AM.png
    797.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.13.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.13.51 AM.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 10

JimP

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)

The sad thing is that if we start limiting our purchases and financial transactions to pro 2nd amendment or pro hunting we will have a very low number of business that we can do business with.

Now if there is a choice then by all means go with the one that you feel represents your beliefs but at times it comes with a price that some of us can't afford when we are looking for a bargain.

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
My thinking is that it is your overuse of Friends and Family that is getting you into trouble, not what you are buying.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
Problem resolved. Took persistence “8 emails” and a little innovation on “solids”

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Not alone on this. In the last couple weeks I've had some strange interactions with money transfer services of which Pay Pal/ Xoom is just one. Apparently there is a connection network among many of them. I suspect there is a common thread connecting Pay Pal and MoneyGram and maybe others. They are extremely evasive when asked about it. It seems that many use third party fraud detection service companies to screen transactions. So if you get flagged or rejected by one you may well experience it with others. There has been a definite increase since about mid-September in rejections and notices of "suspicious activity" posted to some of my international money transfers. Even their notices sent to me have included such language as, "...you have not been in compliance with such and such...." That is straight from PayPal. Not in compliance!!! That sounds like authoritarian government speak to me. It could be a reaction to an increase in international money scam crimes or fraud where these third party, so called "fraud teams", are possibly even using the Patriot Act to more and more "police" or restrict otherwise lawful money transactions between individuals, especially for international money transfers. My interactions where there have been problems have not been remotely connected to firearms, ammo or "restricted" goods or services. These simple person to person money transfers have been flagged as suspicious or even rejected for reasons only known to those who act under whatever authority they operate under. While on the surface it seems like a good idea- that they are looking out for our security and well being by protecting us from fraud, somehow I am not convinced of that at all. :) just a heads up....

CoElkHunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
So again, how are these sellers/buyers on GB or other sites requesting (or demanding) payment via PayPal? One seller on GB had some good ammo deals, but basically stated he only accepted payment via PayPal, and if you didn’t want to pay that way, don’t buy from him. Stupidity or a scam?

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Just an FYI, drug dealers are using pay pal and other money transfer venues. For those having problems, you may fit the profile.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I use PayPal a lot and even for gun and ammo purchases with their debit card. I’ve never had any issues even with high dollar amounts ($1000 or so)
It must be a problem with the seller.

CoElkHunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Just an FYI, drug dealers are using pay pal and other money transfer venues. For those having problems, you may fit the profile.
Ha! Ha! Couldn't be me cause I don't use either of those "venues". But somebody mentioned to me awhile ago, that some credit card companies were blocking the use of their card for purchasing firearms or ammo? I don't remember which company though.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
I use PayPal a lot and even for gun and ammo purchases with their debit card. I’ve never had any issues even with high dollar amounts ($1000 or so)
It must be a problem with the seller.
Whatever it was it’s resolved now. It was almost like PayPal was fishing... Kept pushing be for a description of the item I was buying. I was firm in my reposes and finally stated that I had nothing else to offer PayPal in that regard: next email stated my account was restored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchelFai

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.