Paying for the hunt

Both of my trips (Zimbabwe and Mozambique) as others have stated - 50% secured dates, 50% of day rates / government fees 60 days before arrival. I only brought sufficient cash for tips to staff, visa, souvenirs - no more than $3,000 each trip split between my wife's money belt and my money belt. Zimbabwe they did not have wireless in camp. Once I arrived home I wired the remaining balance along with tip for PH to the US Agent. Mozambique, we reconciled the remaining balance along with tip for PH while in camp and I wired the funds before leaving camp.

I’ve hunted Mozambique three times. Never did more then $5,000 down and wired the balance in return stateside.

Small sample but that’s been my experience.
Unique indeed but fair enough in your experience. A question, do you feel uncomfortable placing a deposit as mentioned which could be considered a norm?

im just trying to understand.

my best
Jaco.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it depends on the type of hunt. Is it a package hunt? If so I’d pay in full before the hunt. If not on a package then an estimate of the total costs or as has been said maybe 75% and take the rest in cash.
I have been fortunate to hunt with really good outfitters and I never had a concern about how and when I paid. Many times I pay by wire after I get home.
PG

I have wired money after the hunt as well. Typically the result of my trigger finger outrunning my cash reserves!

I’ve hunted Mozambique three times. Never did more then $5,000 down and wired the balance in return stateside.

Small sample but that’s been my experience.
I have wired money after the hunt as well. Typically the result of my trigger finger outrunning my cash reserves!
@WAB very common occurrence indeed, so don’t feel bad ;-) shows you enjoyed it and the Outfitter/PH delivered!!
My best always
J

Interesting old post brought back to life. One of the spooky things about my first safari was the wire transfer. The bank made it seem like my money was guaranteed to be stolen by pirates and lost for eternity.
I have now wired money maybe a dozen times and it has always arrived in one or two days, no issues.
We did have issues with a credit card while settling our final bill (credit card company being extra cautious despite we contacted them and told them where we would be)- our ph was awesome and said we could wire money when we got home. He had no real reason to trust us that much but he did and in the end we were able to pay with the card after a quick call to the cc company. Our ph also did provide a safe
In our chalet if we needed to use it.

Both of my trips (Zimbabwe and Mozambique) as others have stated - 50% secured dates, 50% of day rates / government fees 60 days before arrival. I only brought sufficient cash for tips to staff, visa, souvenirs - no more than $3,000 each trip split between my wife's money belt and my money belt. Zimbabwe they did not have wireless in camp. Once I arrived home I wired the remaining balance along with tip for PH to the US Agent. Mozambique, we reconciled the remaining balance along with tip for PH while in camp and I wired the funds before leaving camp.
In Africa, I have always wired 50% to secure dates, and then the remainder a few weeks before arrival. The only cash I bring is for tips. Like @WAB, on a couple of occasions, I have had to wire a settlement upon returning home thanks to the twistedhornedwhateverbeast that I couldn't resist.

The original post goes back to 2013 as well as the first dozen or so responses. I can address what is currently going on in Namibia.

A few years ago the Namibian govt stopped banks from accepting traveler's cheques, US certified bank checks or money orders. The also made it illegal for Namibian citizens to exchange foreign currency for Namibian dollars. They did this to try and stop the black market exchange.

PH's will likely accept final payment in USD and if so, they likely have a friend with a foreign issued passport who will make the exchange for them, OR you'll have to make a stop at a bank or currency exchange office on the way home. Some, if you've pre-paid over 75% of your hunt costs upfront will let you wire the balance once you get home. Several options, just have to be sure to work the detials of final payment out with PH/Outfitter BEFORE you go.

Some do have CC machines and you can swipe your card to settle out your account. Down side of this could be that you CC company highlights your transaction as possible fraud and will send you an email or text message to confirm the transaction OR you'll have to call them. IF you don't have cell service this could result in your card being locked.

Taking cash is not as bad as you think. Generally, the riskiest part is between your house and the secure area of the airline terminals. The $10K limit is not really a limit. It is the limit that can be taken out without filling out a US Customs form that just declares the amount you're taking out. You only need to show the form if you are stopped at a US airport during the TSA screening.

Had a friend take over $35K out with him on a trip to Nam. Carried it in his carry-on backpack and had the form filled out. The bundle showed up on the TSA scan. He had the form wrapped around the bundle and he was waived thru by TSA when they did the physical check.

Last edited:
The original post goes back to 2013 as well as the first dozen or so responses. I can address what is currently going on in Namibia.

A few years ago the Namibian govt stopped banks from accepting traveler's cheques, US certified bank checks or money orders. The also made it illegal for Namibian citizens to exchange foreign currency for Namibian dollars. They did this to try and stop the black market exchange.

PH's will likely accept final payment in USD and if so, they likely have a friend with a foreign issued passport who will make the exchange for them, OR you'll have to make a stop at a bank or currency exchange office on the way home. Some, if you've pre-paid over 75% of your hunt costs upfront will let you wire the balance once you get home. Several options, just have to be sure to work the detials of final payment out with PH/Outfitter BEFORE you go.

Some do have CC machines and you can swipe your card to settle out your account. Down side of this could be that you CC company highlights your transaction as possible fraud and will send you an email or text message to confirm the transaction OR you'll have to call them. IF you don't have cell service this could result in your card being locked.

Taking cash is not as bad as you think. Generally, the riskiest part is between your house and the secure area of the airline terminals. The $10K limit is not really a limit. It is the limit that can be taken out without filling out a US Customs form that just declares the amount you're taking out. You only need to show the form if you are stopped at a US airport during the TSA screening.

Had a friend take over $35K out with him on a trip to Nam. Carried it in his carry-on backpack and had the form filled out. The bundle showed up on the TSA scan. He had the form wrapped around the bundle and he was waived thru by TSA when they did the physical check.
I am never ever carrying that kind of cash on my person unless, perhaps, headed for Medellin, Columbia.

:ROFLMAO: Yea, I agree. He had to pay for his current trip and the previous year's trip taxidermy bill. He could have chosen to wire funds but he didn't "trust" the system. o_O

Just confirmed with my PH in Bots that the same restrictions Namibia has also apply in Botswana. However, Botswana allows citizens to have bank accounts in USD and clients can wire USD directly into that account without worrying about exchange rates. IF you settle out your account with cash at the end, he can deposit that directly into his bank account. He also has a CC machine and you can settle out that way as well. Just be aware of my previous caution about the transaction being picked up as possible fraud by your CC provider.

Last edited:
Those Darn twistedhornwhateverabeasts! I feel your pain!!!
best
J
In Africa, I have always wired 50% to secure dates, and then the remainder a few weeks before arrival. The only cash I bring is for tips. Like @WAB, on a couple of occasions, I have had to wire a settlement upon returning home thanks to the twistedhornedwhateverbeast that I couldn't resist.

Standard T&C for my outfitter is 20% of daily fees to book the hunt, remainder 80% 60 days prior. Trophy fees, charter flights etc. is wired after I get home.

In reality I wire all estimated expenses and taxes just before I leave as well even though not required to do so.

I am not going to get into what your PH/operators policy is, but here are some of the recommendations that we give our visiting hunters.

Travelers checks not acceptable.
Personal checks not acceptable.
Money orders not acceptable.
Cash or wire transfers acceptable.
Hunter should have small denomination bills for visa, covid test (around $50.00), shopping & tips.
Hunter will be required by migrations to have a return ticket. We have seen exceptions.
Hunter upon entry must report the amount of cash that you are entering the country with.
Please note on the subject of your entry cash declaration. If you are paying us cash in the country we have to have proof of where it came from. You need proof that you entered the country with not more than you are leaving the country with. It is for your protection.

The reason for the non acceptable payments are for one of two reasons either the bank will not accept them (nor will anyone else) or there will be a very hefty fee for handling the transaction.

Keep in mind this is our company policy only.

Lon

Reactions: WAB
To add to the mention of ATM machines.
If they do have cash or in working order, it is about 50% of the time.
Zimbabwe businesses can withdraw $1,000.00 per day. I have no idea what it is for non residents.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross