Paying CASH up-front for a hunt?

Cash up front always makes one worry, but I can think of plenty of good reasons why someone would prefer American cash dollars to a wire transfer to his bank in Zimbabwe. Hell, I can't think of a single reason why the outfitter would prefer Zim $ in his Zim bank account. Between taxes, inflation, and/or confiscation on a whim, a handful of US$ looks pretty appealing.

If I know and trust the guy, I'd probably go for it. In reality, I'm not sure that a wire transfer is any better if I don't trust the guy. If I wire transfer money to Zimbabwe and something goes awry, I doubt I would have much more chance of getting it back than if I had handed him cash.

Fact is, there is plenty of trust needed in any of these transactions. I paid some up front on my first trip to Africa and wire transferred the rest once I got home. My outfitter could have screwed me and I could have screwed him. In either case, the money, time, and hassle of recovering the money if something went wrong would probably not be worth it for either of us. Honor and maintaining a good reputation is really what holds the deal together.

If we were trying to cover ourselves on both ends, I'd have put all the money up front in an escrow account with a trusted third party that we both agree on, and set up an arbitration process that we both agree on in the event of a problem. If you aren't doing that, it is more or less a handshake deal any way you look at it.

In countries like Tanzania, Zim, Moz, Zambia, the outfitter requires 50% up front, with balance due anywhere from 30-90 days before the hunt starts. Plus many require a trophy fee deposit.

Basically paying for the entire hunt before you leave for the hunt.

Lots of trust needed. Especially for a hunt that could reach $100,000 or more.

I would never hand over full payment at a convention, unless the outfitter was well known, and had a solid reputation.

There are many great outfits out there. There are also some Sharks.

In countries like Tanzania, Zim, Moz, Zambia, the outfitter requires 50% up front, with balance due anywhere from 30-90 days before the hunt starts. Plus many require a trophy fee deposit.

Basically paying for the entire hunt before you leave for the hunt.

Lots of trust needed.

I would never hand over full payment at a convention, unless the outfitter was well known, and had a solid reputation.

There are many great outfits out there. There are also some Sharks.

That was my initial though as well; whats the difference, other than saving a lot of money by paying cash? You pay before you hunt no matter how you pay. Auction hunts in Africa are the same; you pay up front at the convention and hope for the best. Also as I understand it, a contract doesn't mean CRAP in Zim/Zam/Moz; there is no way to recover lost funds regardless of how many safeguards you put in place or how you paid for the hunt. You can't sick your lawyer on them or drag them through the courts in Zimbabwe.

The only recourse you have is to out them on internet forums to get a response, and even that usually proves ineffective. Even a well respected, popular, AH sponsor can screw you over and not care because he fills his calendar regardless (look at the Martin Pieters debacle earlier this year). In my opinion, the outfitter's willingness to uphold their reputation is the ONE and ONLY thing that will save you if things go bad.

The outfitter in question does have a great reputation dating back many years; in fact no negative reports on this form, AR, or the hunt report. He is fully licensed to hunt in the country and a member of both SCI and DSC. Still trying to decide if getting a smoking good deal is worth the risk though. As a guy who has ran a successful business for many years, often making risky decisions on hunches, my "spidy senses" are telling me to pass.

I am currently corresponding with my travel insurance company on exactly what "cancel for any reason" additional insurance covers. I used "cancel for any reason" insurance to get fully reimbursed for a Guatemala fishing trip where the charter company went out of business just before I was scheduled to leave. I have a feeling that this insurance won't cover "flat-out getting screwed".

Last edited:
I would not pay upfront. Too many things can happen in a year...even to well established, reputable and honest outfitters.

Kind of like the outfitter story from the convention awhile back. The guy booked a whole bunch of Buffalo hunts in SA, took deposits that he didn't have quota to sell.

Buyer beware!

Cash is king. If i had any history with outfitter i would absolutely do it for the discount and to help him.

I have been a booking agent for almost ten years now and the only time ive ever been screwed was by a "friend" hunter who used to post here, never an outfitter.

Last edited:
Cash is king. If i had any history with outfitter i would absolutely do it for the discount and to help him.
True. Cash talks.

Having good history with an outfitter would not be a problem.

There are some sponsors here on AH, that I have never met, and I would pay them a cash deal, without question. You can usually tell, who takes pride in reputation.

+1

Cash is king. And yes there are outfitters/sponsors here that I have met and not met I would trust with a cash transaction.

R.

If you do it in Vegas give him $5 and let him know you started with $10,000 but the tables took it, let him know you "invested" it and the cards didn't go your way
Its going to be a gamble anyway you look at it and sometimes everything works out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross