Paying CASH up-front for a hunt?

Desert Dog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I am currently in the planning stages of a Zambia or Zim buff and PG hunt next year. At this stage, I have been in contact with several outfitters and a couple of hunting brokers trying to get the usual information.

I got strange offers from a couple of outfitters I thought I would run by the folks on here;
I want to pay everything I possibly can before departing for Africa (to minimize cash carried). Most outfitters gave me the usual option of wiring half the money when I book, and the other half before I depart; this has been the standard in the hunting/fishing industry for a long time. BUT, a couple of outfitters offered to give me a great discount if I paid in cash (USD) this winter at one of the big conventions (SCI or DSC). I know that this benefits the outfitter greatly for several reasons I won't elaborate on, but is there a way to do this without the risk of getting burned? I have paid cash for SCI auction hunts in the past, but never directly to an outfitter.

I know that doing this with a reputable US hunting broker is relatively safe because I have legal recourse here in the states, but what about a reputable African hunting outfitter?

BTW, I always take out a full insurance policy on my hunting/fishing trips.

Oohh tough call there. I guess for me it would greatly depend on the outfitters reputation and I would need multiple references. I guess how great the discount would be of consideration as well. However, there still is the fact that you are all in way before you get there. Maybe I'm just not that risky....

Some Zim outfitters have US bank accounts, which would certainly make it easier. I certainly would not take multiple thousands of dollars to either of these countries.

I would also add that if one or a few of those outfitters are sponsors on here, that would certainly make me a little more comfortable as well.

I think that for me it would come down to how well I or someone I trust knows the outfitter. I don't think I could do it otherwise.

I would also add that if one or a few of those outfitters are sponsors on here, that would certainly make me a little more comfortable as well.

Sponsors, please don't take my below comments the wrong way.

The fact that someone is a sponsor here would would have absolutely zero to do with whether or not I'd trust them or be more comfortable paying money in advance. There is no vetting of sponsors prior to sponsoring (nor do I think there should be - buyer beware!).

Now if it was a long standing sponsor/outfitter with nothing but glowing reports and I was pretty confident in their financial stability and the discount was large enough, then I MIGHT take the risk, but not simply because they were a sponsor.

@reedy0312 , I think this is likely what you meant, but for new members I thought it was worth clarifying.

@Royal27 ,

Now if it was a long standing sponsor/outfitter with nothing but glowing reports and I was pretty confident in their financial stability and the discount was large enough, then I MIGHT take the risk, but not simply because they were a sponsor.

Yes this is what I meant , just didnt take the time to write it out. The fact that they have been vetted by the members on this site whom have hunted with them, and not simply because they were a sponsor

@Royal27 ,

Yes this is what I meant , just didnt take the time to write it out. The fact that they have been vetted by the members on this site whom have hunted with them, and not simply because they were a sponsor

Thought so (y)

That is a tough one. For me personally I would only do that if I knew and had a good relationship with the outfitter. I typically wire all the funds in advance when I go on trips also. As far as paying cash in advance at a show. I can only think of a couple of people I would do that with.

Not a fat chance. In this day and age, when you can get on the Smart phone and transfer the money to them on the ground in Africa That's what I did, I paid the day rate right before I left and at the end of the hunt for the game, I did a wire transfer right over the phone and printed out the confirmation of the wire transfer in camp. Everyone was happy.

I don't know who the outfitters are and therefore do not want to jump to conclusions, but this has warning flags and lights going off on my mental radar. I would proceed only with great caution.

Needing or wanting the money now for a hunt a year from now....first thought is robbing Peter to pay Paul, and you're not Paul.

BTW, I always take out a full insurance policy on my hunting/fishing trips

There is not an insurance policy out there that would cover you if the outfitter was dishonest.

I don't know who the outfitters are and therefore do not want to jump to conclusions, but this has warning flags and lights going off on my mental radar. I would proceed only with great caution.

Needing or wanting the money now for a hunt a year from now....first thought is robbing Peter to pay Paul, and you're not Paul.

Exactly why I said I'd have to be pretty confident in their financial stability - thanks for stating more bluntly than I did!

If the saving was significant, and the outfitter well known, I'd happily pay cash in advance.

However, there still is the fact that you are all in way before you get there. Maybe I'm just not that risky....
This is my main worry. Paying in full 6 months before a hunt makes me more than a little nervous, although both outfits have great reputations and good reviews on this forum, and have been doing business for a long time. The savings would be enough to cover airfare and then some.

I have won several auctioned hunts from SCI and DSC, and I guess these assume the same level of risk (paying everything up front at the show). One of those auction hunts was a complete disaster (the outfitter was eventually kicked out of SCI).

I was just wondering how common it is, outside of an auction, to pay for a trip in full at the SCI or DSC show? From the responses so far, it looks like it is not very common.

Exactly why I said I'd have to be pretty confident in their financial stability - thanks for stating more bluntly than I did!
Could be, but both outfitters dump a great deal of money every year spending weeks in the US to attend both shows, then fly to Germany for their big show. Remember, in Zimbabwe for most outfitters, 40-50% of all their income goes to Uncle Bob. I don't know if that is their reason for the good discounts for cash payment and they did not indicate that as a reason.

US hunting brokers also scare me, as many of the worst trip reports I have ever read on hunting forums have happened through a broker. Seems like they try to compete with direct pricing by cutting corners. They also seem horrible at providing good airfares.

I ALWAYS get the "cancel for any reason" additional coverage on my travel insurance plan. I have used it before on a fishing trip that got cancelled in Guatemala when the outfit decided to go out of business a week before my departure.

Last edited:
Could be, but both outfitters dump a great deal of money every year spending weeks in the US to attend both shows, then fly to Germany for their big show. Remember, in Zimbabwe for most outfitters, 40-50% of all their income goes to Uncle Bob. I don't know if that is their reason for the good discounts for cash payment and they did not indicate that as a reason.

True, and it could be totally legit, or not. The financial stability question is a tough one to figure out and why I might not take the discount. Just because they dump money doesn't mean they have money to dump.

I would never do it.

It is not only a matter of distrust, but so many things that can go wrong.

Not unless you have hunted with and know the outfitter. No way!

Hmmmm. Most of us pay for the hunt - read daily rate and extras before we depart. I head to Mozambique in October and just paid the final for the hunt less trophy fees. That is three months from now. I am not sure six months is that much different. I am using a consultant as a middle man, but the principal is the same. In the current economic environment in Southern Africa, I can see where US dollars in hand in Vegas or Dallas would be a huge advantage. You underwrite the cost of the trip in US currency which they did not have to convert from national currency X, and pay you for that service through a reduced cost. Everyone benefits. As long as they are an established outfitter with references, I would be all over that offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross