Pay Attention To The Signs

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I've been hesitant to post this as I typically like to keep my personal life private, but I thought this is relevant to many on here, and it may prevent a tragedy for somebody. Mods, feel free to move if I've chosen the wrong forum.

I have travelled a great deal in my lifetime and am no stranger to long flights. I went on my third safari the first week of September this year. The flight over went as normal, long but uneventful. On the third day of the hunt, the problems started. I had asked for a walk and stalk hunt and the PH was very accommodating. We walked all day in some fairly hilly terrain. On the third day of the hunt, the problems started. Late that afternoon, I was struggling to keep up. My breathing was labored and my heart was pounding. I asked the PH to stop so I could rest several times. This is atypical for me. I have always worked to stay in shape (walking, running, cycling) , and despite my increasing age, have no issues with blood pressure, disease, etc. The next day was a tour day, so everything seemed fine.

On day five, I felt better, but still struggled. Walking up hill left me gasping and at one point I lost balance and fell. Day six was a repeat. I wrote it all off (despite my wife's concerns) as altitude, allergies, jet lag, whatever. The flight home was brutal. I had horrendous leg cramps and my breathing, while not bad, felt off. When we got home, I was struggling to breath with any serious exertion. Again, I wrote it off. Finally, three days after our return, I went to see a doctor at my wife's urging.

I won't bore you with the details, but the EKG and other tests showed some problems. I had developed blood clots in my legs (assuming on the flight over) which led to pulmonary embolism. (Multiple clots in my lungs) There were also signs of abnormalities with a heart valve, which the doctors believe was caused by the other issues.

I'm not writing this looking for sympathy or well wishes. Everything is healing and there hopefully will be no lasting affects. I am writing this to say: Pay attention to the signs. As hunters, we often deal with tough conditions such as heat, cold, sore muscles, exhaustion and pain. Most of the hardcore hunters that I know and have spent time with afield tend to ignore all of these, as do I. I was told by the medical staff repeatedly that this could lead to death, that I needed to take it seriously. Had I prolonged seeking help, I may not be here writing this today. I was questioned as to why I waited, why I didn't listen to my body, why I didn't question the abnormalities. I look back on this two months later and thank God and my wife for looking out for me.

When you travel, pay attention to the signs. You owe it to yourself and your family.

Thrombosis is no joke. A friend had some good advise before my last trip, take some baby aspirin. Well, now it's called low dosage since it's used for much more than babies. I took a couple each flight, drank water regularly and got up for a stretch and little walk periodically.

Glad your doing well and thanks for the post.

About five years ago I started getting swelling in the ankles from transoceanic flights. I started wearing compression socks and walking around more on flights. Thrombosis is something we need to watch out for as we age and continue to fly long routes.

Thanks for writing. By telling us your story you may save someone else some difficulties.
Bruce

Glad you are ok.
I think the problem is that Thrombosis mimics symptoms we expect.

Thanks for the advice, wish you a prompt recovery.

That flight over can be a killer not to mention the one on the way back.

When I went over I walked laps around the plane every hour. I would get up and walk up though the galley and then back down the other side and back to my seat. This was after the flight attendants ducked away and there really was no one else in the aisles. I also saw a number of other passengers doing the same thing. It also takes the boredom out of just sitting in one place for that long

Glad you are no doing OK.

Best wishes on a fully recovery, that is frightening. I read about thrombosis not long before I flew over in July which scared me. I also made the effort to get up and walk around the plane numerous times. Sometimes I would just stand around out of the way. During our long layover in Germany we also did a lot of walking. My partner didn't get up to move around the plane except to go to the restroom and by the time we arrived in Port Elizabeth, her feet were puffed up like balloons. That gave us a bit of a fright.

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will help one of us in the future.

Best wishes! Hope the docs can get them dissolved quickly!

I'd suggest you thank your wife again.
Glad you got help.

A good warning for everyone!

Glad you survived to tell the story man.

Glad you made it home, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Solid advice to listen to your body, and probably a good story to remind us all to get our med/evac insurance any time we go somewhere internationally!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luchkabody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!