Pattern for an African Big Game Rifle...

;) It is part of a three-barrel set for my Blaser S2 double rifle (along with .375 and ‘06). Have shot a lot of game with the other two. At my age, keep an eye out for the estate sale. :(
Now, Now. My Grandad is 85 and by the Grace of God , one tough guy. He handles 10 gauge shotgun recoil better than l do and he's going to Africa next year with me ! Age is just a number. Look at Tony Sanchez Arino :)

;) It is part of a three-barrel set for my Blaser S2 double rifle (along with .375 and ‘06). Have shot a lot of game with the other two. At my age, keep an eye out for the estate sale. :(
Bite your tongue young fella and keep the lead a flyin'.
Cheers mate.

That anemic traditional velocity and the 404 killed more DG game than the 416 could ever wish for...

Even if hand loaded to higher velocity it still recoils less. The case design also ensures that recoil velocity remains lower. The 404 Jeff has a more efficient case and although it can be loaded up to 416 R velocity the 416 R does not do so well when loaded down.

The same action will hold one more 404 in the mag when compared to the 416 Rigby.

They are both great cartridges, but the 416 Rigby with full power loads is not for everybody and that is the point.

The 400 calibers are better choices for DG rifles, if you can handle the recoil. If the 416 R cannot be handled the 404 Jeff is a great alternative, if that cannot be handled you are left with the 375 H&H.

In the end it will be each ones own choice but he will have to make sure he can handle the chosen caliber and be proficient with it.
I was not dismissing the .404 in any way, but rather just pointing out that if you boost its speeds to Rigby speeds, increased recoil will follow, there being no free lunch. A 400 gr bullet at 2350fps will essentially recoil the same amount regardless the name on the case head, all else being equal. And yes I realize that a larger dose of powder is a factor in recoil, but as Jack O'Connor used to say, "it would take a guru of heightened awareness to tell the difference".

Regardless of caliber this is good advice...practice, practice, practice.
Our PH told horror stories of clients showing up having never shot the gun they brought and the scope was only bore-sighted.
And to top it off they were usually .40 caliber or better...hello flinch.

Personally I have a 375H&H that I shoot comfortably and will be using it on a Cape Buffalo hunt.
Is this ideal...no.
Would I be better with a rimless 400 caliber for a DG hunt...absolutely.
However, I have very little experience with the 400's and as such will be sticking with my little 375.
I'll save the cost of a new rifle and spend it on practice ammo, range time and probably another Safari animal as well.
I will be comfortable and confident with my rifle, scope (with QD mounts) and open sights for the hunt.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry
Gotcha Harry, I know mine.

375 H&H is a superb caliber and the single most useful do it all caliber a client can carry to Africa, it is however not a DG specialty cartridge. I own two and have used them on all the DG. The OP is talking about a dedicated DG caliber in which case one of the 400's is a better choice.

For a client using it on even elephant it is fine and very versatile but make no mistake it is not a DG stopping rifle for the thick skinned DG including Cape buffalo..for that I use and recommend the 500 Jeff, for a dedicated DG rifle for a client the 400's is a better option only if they can handle them, if not 375 H&H is the only way to go.

Let’s ignore the caliber for a moment. You guys are spot on that 375 is a better all around caliber or even new client caliber.

I’m interested...why do so many suggest a scope on a 50-100yd high recoil rifle? Can most people get a quick short range aimed shot better with sights?....or maybe a red dot?

A herd of buffalo is a good enough reason to have a scope. So is shooting in brush. You're threading a needle either way (all the more reason to shy away from the really big calibers).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross