Captain Munro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I stopped by the Parkwest Arms booth at DSC today and had a good long talk with all of the folks there. They seem like they are really commited to bringing us quality rifles. They said all of the same folks from Dakot are still there, including the lady who does the hand checkering since the 1980s. They consolidated the 2 separate shops of Dakota into 1 building and you can even go and pick out your wood for the stock. They are still working on upgrading their website, but soon you will be able to select the options you want and they will factor into the price accordingly. I saw the options list and it s good. Their prices don't seem to have increased much since Dakota either.
They also said they are finishing up some 200 Dakota guns and then more will be coming. They will also have all the calibers from before and maybe more as well as a 1 MOA accuracy.
The new African models are the Dark Continent and Savannah, because they couldn't use the previous names for some rights usage reason.
I am doing a brain dump here, but all in all the folks there were very friendly and excited to be bring these rifles back. My talk with them felt genuine.
I am not affiliated with Parkwest Arms, just had a great time talking to them and they patiently answered the million questions I asked. I probably forgot alot already, but I will one day be ordering a rifle from them.

Awesome information, is their website up and running and any general pricing?

No pricing as of yet. I emailed them at the address listed for additional information on caliber offerings. Email was prompt but forwarded to another individual andnibhabemt heard back as of today.

I stopped by also and had a very good conversation with them. I had a pretty specific question about the interchangeably of bolts with a couple Model 76s I have, they were extremely willing to help and gave me a few issues to check for when I get home. Told me to call when with an update when I can. I hope they do well.

I was thumbing through an old issue of Field & Stream and saw an advertisement for ParkWest Arms. Happy to see that Dakota has been reborn. I always liked the look of their rifles. I've heard some say that they are nothing more than a slicked up and overpriced Winchester M70. I suppose that argument holds true, but there is something to be said for a rifle that is a shooter right out of the box and ready for an African safari.

Whoa, I just checked their pricing on a 375H&H on GB...almost $13K :oops: A Mauser Diplomat isn't much more than that. Damn.

I was thumbing through an old issue of Field & Stream and saw an advertisement for ParkWest Arms. Happy to see that Dakota has been reborn. I always liked the look of their rifles. I've heard some say that they are nothing more than a slicked up and overpriced Winchester M70. I suppose that argument holds true, but there is something to be said for a rifle that is a shooter right out of the box and ready for an African safari.

Whoa, I just checked their pricing on a 375H&H on GB...almost $13K :oops: A Mauser Diplomat isn't much more than that. Damn.
When I was at DSC talking to Parkwest, the roughly quoted me at about 10k for a 416 Rigby Dark Continent rifle before adding upgrade options. Best price for these rifles, maybe not, but if one wanted American made, they seem like a solid option. I have not shot one however, so I cannot attest to accuracy.

When I was at DSC talking to Parkwest, the roughly quoted me at about 10k for a 416 Rigby Dark Continent rifle before adding upgrade options. Best price for these rifles, maybe not, but if one wanted American made, they seem like a solid option. I have not shot one however, so I cannot attest to accuracy.
I've seen and handled a few Dakota rifles at Hendershot's several years ago...maybe 2017 or 2018. They were very nice with quarter ribs, swing out QD scope mounts, upgraded wood, engraving, barrel band and hooded front sight. At the time I couldn't justify the price which I believe was around $6.5K for a used 416RIGBY.

I've never seen a ParkWest rifle in person. We plan on going to SCI this year in Nashville, so maybe we will see them there.

I just checked Hendershot's website and they have a few DG ready Dakota rifles available for around $8K...but nothing with amazing timber on it. And I'm not sure if ParkWest will honor any kind of warranty from the older Dakota rifles, even if they are technically "new".

I've seen and handled a few Dakota rifles at Hendershot's several years ago...maybe 2017 or 2018. They were very nice with quarter ribs, swing out QD scope mounts, upgraded wood, engraving, barrel band and hooded front sight. At the time I couldn't justify the price which I believe was around $6.5K for a used 416RIGBY.

I've never seen a ParkWest rifle in person. We plan on going to SCI this year in Nashville, so maybe we will see them there.

I just checked Hendershot's website and they have a few DG ready Dakota rifles available for around $8K...but nothing with amazing timber on it. And I'm not sure if ParkWest will honor any kind of warranty from the older Dakota rifles, even if they are technically "new".

I can't answer this for sure, but they did offer to help me with an issue I have with one of my Dakota rifles. They didn't overtly say it would be covered, but they did make it seem like it. They were extremely friendly and talked to me for far longer than one could expect in a large sitting like DSC.

I really like the old Dakota rifles. They have a ton of great features.

It’s still hard to justify what it is for the $$$.

That said, it’s only money and you only live once.

I really like the old Dakota rifles. They have a ton of great features.

It’s still hard to justify what it is for the $$$.

That said, it’s only money and you only live once.

I don't buy guns as an investment, but I own a few Dakota rifles and not one of them is worth less than I paid. They cost a lot, but they are also worth a lot.

I don't buy guns as an investment, but I own a few Dakota rifles and not one of them is worth less than I paid. They cost a lot, but they are also worth a lot.

My cost assessment is more about what I see on and in the rifle, rather than it’s performance.

Matte finish is a cost saver to skip proper polish and traditional blue.

The screws should stop at tight with alignment to the muzzle. This is not aesthetic, it allows you to visually know if the screws moved by looking.

Things like that…. On a Model 70, I get it. On a rifle at that cost, it should have a really nice blued finish and a degree of hand fitting on screws and whatnot.

JMO.

Ok, I admit it. I see a visual of better walnut In their stocks and astetic pleasing features but what’s really the “function” of these rifles vs a model 70? Is it the “hand finishing” and craftsmanship? I can get fancy Turkish walnut anywhere; what am I purchasing for the extra $9000-$13000 over a super grade model 70? Where is the “omg, this rifle is worth the $ over a super grade? How does their build compare to a Rigby or H&H today? Respectfully interested in this conversation and the value of a park west/Dakota rifle. Thank you for any replies.

Ok, I admit it. I see a visual of better walnut In their stocks and astetic pleasing features but what’s really the “function” of these rifles vs a model 70? Is it the “hand finishing” and craftsmanship? I can get fancy Turkish walnut anywhere; what am I purchasing for the extra $9000-$13000 over a super grade model 70? Where is the “omg, this rifle is worth the $ over a super grade? How does their build compare to a Rigby or H&H today? Respectfully interested in this conversation and the value of a park west/Dakota rifle. Thank you for any replies.
Quick history lesson for those that don't know. Dakota Arms started in 1980. It was sold to investors in the early 2000's and went bankrupt in 2006. They came out of bankruptcy in 2007 but were sold to Remington Arms shortly after. Remington went bankrupt in 2020 and its pieces sold off to various companies. The name "Dakota Arms" belongs to one of the buyers at the auction, but the equipment and people employed at the Sturgis, SD custom rifle shop were sold to another group of investors...their new name is Parkwest Arms.

It is my understanding that firearms made by Dakota prior to 2004 (or thereabouts) are indeed of very high quality, and I'd expect them to hold their value. From the Remington ownership until just recently, there have been examples (some say several) of less than perfect rifles. For that reason, resale of these rifles could be an issue. As to the level of quality Parkwest Arms is producing, I have no experience.

They say that it's never a good thing to consider resale of a rifle (car, motorcycle...etc) before you even buy it, but for me it is. You mentioned Rigby and H&H...I would not consider them in the same class as a Dakota or Parkwest, but then again it's not MY rifle. YOU need to make those choices and do what is best for you.

I have several model 76s that have numerous upgrades including walnut, engraved bolt knobs, nearly full case hardening, barrel bands, quarter rib/folding front NECG sights and the cost was well under $9000 for even the most upgraded. These were all purchased used and not a build I had commissioned, which might be more what you have in mind. But they are in an entirely different class than a stock SG Model 70, you could get the Model 70 the same upgrades and with some work and after market barrel it could certainly be as accurate, it would still cost a decent amount on top of the purchase price to do it.

I have several model 76s that have numerous upgrades including walnut, engraved bolt knobs, nearly full case hardening, barrel bands, quarter rib/folding front NECG sights and the cost was well under $9000 for even the most upgraded. These were all purchased used and not a build I had commissioned, which might be more what you have in mind. But they are in an entirely different class than a stock SG Model 70, you could get the Model 70 the same upgrades and with some work and after market barrel it could certainly be as accurate, it would still cost a decent amount on top of the purchase price to do it.
Trouble is finding a pre-2004 "lightly used" 76 African or Safari is like hen's teeth.

I hate to say it, because I know people that were Dakota employees, but the rifles (including PW) are not worth the price. They are good rifles, work well, and perform …but they just aren’t that much better than a current Winchester.

Remember, Jack OConnors favourite rifle was a factory Model 70 with a replacement stock.

I get why the price is what it is…manufacturing costs on scale…but FN wins that fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross