Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
I am looking at two. 308 rifles; one is a Parker Hale M81 which is in good condition and has a new barrel by the makers. The other is a Brno 601 which I am told is about 40 years old but hasn't had much use. I have no experience of either make, so any views on how the rifles compare with regard to build quality etc. would be appreciated. It will be used for plains game.

Last edited:
I have no experience with a Parker hale. My experience with the Brno is that the safety is reversed. Push forward for safe, pull back for fire. Nothing wrong with it. Just can be confusing if your other rifles work the opposite way. Not sure if this was the case on all Bruno's or just the couple I have used. Have also seen an early model cz 550 that was this way.

Don't want to miss an opportunity at an 18 inch bushbuck because the safety was on.

All the best in your decision.

Whichever one feels best in your hands and comes up well for a standing shot. Make sure that the rifle is empty, pick it up, close your eyes, shoulder it and then open your eyes. You can change scope mounting height, within limits but stock modifications tend to be more challenging.

I am a Brno/CZ fan but Parker Hale made some good rifles and hunters have taken many fine trophies with them. Also, I reckon that the Brno safety is the right way around. The forward to fire arrangement was adopted for box-lock guns, in order too make them idiot-proof when being carried in one hand with the gun closed and loaded. More proof (if needed) that shot gunners should leave the booze alone, till after the shoot.

Push forward for safe, pull back for fire. Nothing wrong with it. Just can be confusing if your other rifles work the opposite way.

From an ergonomic point of view I actually really like the "reverse" safety. Gun goes to shoulder and safety just comes off so naturally. Lord knows I would want all my guns to be like this though, especially if one was a DG rifle....

I have BRNO's and CZ's. Had a Parker Hale many years ago...I think. Nothing wrong with them. BRNO action might be a bit more meaty than the Parker Hale. Personally I would go BRNO. Rate of twist should be close. Don't have 308 unfortunately

My question would be how much is the seller asking for each one? How does the price compare to the market!

Nothing wrong with Parker hale and I have hunted years ago with a colleagues rifle in that calibre... BUT, BRNO/ CZ still my favourite all round African rifle in whatever calibre.
The safety is a problem.. I have 2 x 375 H & H magnums... the newer on is safety back to fire and the older one is safety forward to fire... can be confusing. Fortunately my 458 magnum is also safety forward to fire, so I hunt with both these rifles and seldom use the 375 with safety back to fire... my sons use this one!!

The Parker Hale is a bit cheaper, but only by a few pounds, but comes with quick release mounts. I like the idea that it has a new barrel. I've done some Internet research and both rifles seem to be well regarded although the Santa Barbara action on the PH attracts some negative comments; can't find any reports of this causing problems in reality though. I had an old Brno. 22rf a few years ago which was a great piece of kit, and I regret selling it. I'll have a look at both rifles though, and see which feels the best. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have owned both rifles (in .308 caliber too!), and the Brno ZKK is a superior quality rifle in my opinion. The barrels on the Brno arms are very very good. Fit and finish, and small details of engineering are all better on the Brno rifles. The triggers may or may not be to your liking on either, 2 different triggers were made for both. For a small cost an excellent after market trigger like a Timney could be installed if you don't like the trigger on the rifle you choose. The ZKK action if perfectly sized to the length of the .308 cartridge, the PH uses a spacer in the magazine and doesn't feed quite as slick. The one factor that would lead me to choose the PH over the Brno is the stock dimensions. The PH fits me much better. I suggest you handle both before you buy. Last week I almost bought a custom stocked ZKK601 that was about the perfect all around hunting rifle for our conditions in Western Canada. Resisted the temptation though.

Would love to see a pic of the PH 81. 99 percent of the PH rifles here in the states are Model 1200 guns which look nothing like the 81 Classic, which has a straight comb stock, with no Monte Carlo rollover cheekpiece as the 1200 does. 81 has no forend piece either and comes from the factory glass bedded, also usually seen with a solid red recoil pad instead of the usual ventilated type. The 1200 is often listed as an 81 on the auction sites. Problem with PH rifles is they are hardly ever marked as to model number on them, thus confusing many. My dad had a model 100 lightweight in 6.5 Swede that he liked very much and I recall it shot well and performed well too. It came along about the same time as the 81 in the early to mid 80's I believe while the 1200 was made for many years before that. But I too am a big fan of BRNO CZ rifles and have several. I recently snagged a NIB 600 in '06 off a site for a song.

The M81 was a really nice rifle, and it would have bought it if the bore wasn't badly pitted near the muzzle. I thought about getting it re-barrelled, but would have cost more than it was worth. I ended up buying a new Schulz and Larsen, but still hanker after a good Mauser 98 action.

The Parker Hale is a bit cheaper, but only by a few pounds, but comes with quick release mounts. I like the idea that it has a new barrel. I've done some Internet research and both rifles seem to be well regarded although the Santa Barbara action on the PH attracts some negative comments; can't find any reports of this causing problems in reality though. I had an old Brno. 22rf a few years ago which was a great piece of kit, and I regret selling it. I'll have a look at both rifles though, and see which feels the best. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Well see the post I put up in the Reloading forum about the .270 that stopped working so very well after the second .308 round was fired through it.

The action held and the shooter was uninjured but indignant - that was a South African Musgrave built on a Santa Barbara action. So I'd say they are plenty strong.

Having said all that I'm a Brno fan.

Either will do - pick the one you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg