Packing clothes in rifle Case

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Chago, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Chago

Chago AH Member

Is this allowed? Obviously as long as you stay under the weight requirement? I leave on Tuesday for my first Africa hunt. Can't Wait!!!!

CAustin likes this.

2. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    I have done it. Used it to pack around my rifles. Just be sure that the rifle is readily available for inspection at the airport.
    Bruce

3. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    I have packed clothing in with my rifle in a SKB double rifle case and also my bow case. However, the last time I tried this, a few years ago, the United agent made me take the clothes out saying TSA didn't allow it. It wasn't a big for me, as my duffel bag had room and wasn't overweight. But it could have been a major issue. Go and try it, but have a back up plan.

4. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Last May Delta made me take a fleece cap out of my gun case saying I wasn’t allowed to have there.
    I’d call Delta and record what ever they say because it seems to change on a whim.
    Best of luck!

Laeveld likes this.

5. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
    Seems like a recipe for a problem of your own design. Rifles are x-rayed and examined all the time. When they see something that isn't a gun, they will likely hold the case, ruining your trip. Why take risks?

6. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCCFSA, Atglen SC, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol, Original PA 1000 yd. BR clubs
    Hunted:
    U.S (PA, DE, NJ, KS, TX., ME, Panama, South Africa
    I've packed socks, hunting hats and belts with Delta, SAA, Air France, United and Lufthansa, no problem BUT check with your carrier first as by design, some rules change on a daily basis. As others posted, make sure the firearm(s) is easily accessible. When the case is opened for inspection, you don't want them buried beneath a week's worth of underwear.

7. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    I guess the question is why increase the potential for a p,,,,ing contest with security during your trip? Even if you are right by law or regulation or policy, why the hassle? Can't imagine your gun case is so large and empty as to accommodate enough clothes to make it worth it. Are you trying to avoid an extra bag fee? Most international flights/tickets like the Delta 200-201 already allow 2 checked bags. Most hunters already take too much stuff on safari, including clothes:):)

Also, if you are using one of those types of those "do everything" cases that look like a golf case (which is BS as everyone knows there is a gun or guns in there) when it comes time for inspection, all those clothes or other items stuffed over and around the gun or inner soft case is just asking for a hassle and delay which is especially frustrating for others waiting behind you if they are tight for a connecting flight!!!~

Hogpatrol likes this.

8. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    It depends, most airlines allow it. I think it's BA that doesn't, but I don't recall for sure?

Delta certainly allows it.

I don't agree with the "why risk it" statements. Everything is a risk. I use a tuffpak and have never been questioned about clothes. That doesn't mean that I won't be next time, but I'm not going to change how I pack just because something might happen, anymore than I'm going to stop travelling with my own rifles and ammunition just because they might get lost.

Hogpatrol likes this.

9. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    England year round and Namibia x4
    I've always packed spare socks and underwear in my rifle case.
    I check in a case, carry my hand luggage and check in a rifle.
    I figure if my suitcase goes elsewhere for a few days I still have two chances for some clean underwear.
    My rifle has always arrived at the same place and time as me, my suitcase hasn't so it makes sense to be prepared.

ve7poi and Hogpatrol like this.

10. Edge

Edge BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    PA, NM, ND, Al, FL, MD, Eastern Cape South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Left for Africa on 15 July via Delta. At check-in, the guy read a statement to me about traveling with guns and I distinctly remember him saying no clothing allowed in the case.

He didn’t say anything about a fishing rod, two reels, small set of allen wrenches and a couple of knives

CAustin and Hogpatrol like this.

11. Chago

Chago AH Member

I reached out to air Canada. They said hard no. The airline doesn't have a issue with it she said. But once the security guys take it through the x-ray. They will send it back.

12. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    I come to the conclusion it is better to just have your rifle in the case. I even take out the bolt on a bolt action.

ve7poi and Edge like this.

13. Edge

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Agree, it’s much easier on everyone showing the bolts are in their own foam cut-outs in the case, almost like a sense of relief to the folks checking the rifles.

ve7poi and CAustin like this.

14. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Watched guys remove plenty of clothing at the gun room in Atlanta. And they had just come in on Delta!

15. Edge

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I saw the same and was a bit surprised. Just shows how poorly the agents are trained/follow policy. The gate agent in PNS that I mentioned above read the policy right from the computer, maybe some of them can’t read!

16. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Why chance it? I always take a carry on with me with my camera, binoculars, passport,important documents, chargers, and a few extra clothes just in case. Has served me well over the years.

Hogpatrol likes this.

17. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    Funny. When I take more than one rifle I use a Tuffpak, and I always put as much other stuff in there as I can. It works better that way - clothing provides the padding to make sure the rifles don't move around in the case. I have always taken Air Canada as my first leg, and I have never had an issue. When security wants to look at the rifles, I take them out - they are in a Tuffpak bag in the case - and show them, and then stow everything back in. Same in Africa.

Royal27 likes this.

18. JES Adventures

JES Adventures AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member of SCI and DSC
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
    I learned this packing trick from Bert Klineburger over 25 years ago. He told me to take all the foam out of my hard case, put my rifle in a soft case (because you will want to have it once you get to your destination) then pack all your clothes around it for cushion. This also reduces the weight in your duffle for other heavy items.

Having done this on 30+ Intenational trips on countless airlines I have never encountered a problem anywhere in the world.

johnnyblues, Therack, Royal27 and 2 others like this.

19. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I think that it just comes down to the fact or question of do you want to pi$$ off a person in authority that can make your trip a trip from H3LL even if you are right and they are wrong?

For me it was clothes in a checked bag and some in my carry on. My rifle was all by it's lonesome except for a extra lock in the rifle case just encase they cut the existing one off for some reason. On my trip home I did place a few books inside so that my rifle would have something to read on the way home.

Hogpatrol likes this.

20. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    Last month I flew Delta and SAA. I use a Tuffpak and had a jacket, extra under ware and socks in the bottom. Then my two rifles in soft cases. No issue.
    Five years ago, I did the same thing. In fact, I lost a soft rifle case off the safari truck and used clothes wrapped around one rifle for padding on the flight back to the states. No issue.
    From what I've read here, I may have been lucky and probably shouldn't do it in the future.