Packaging and shipping raw leather

GA Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I’ve got an eland and a buffalo hide that I need to ship from Georgia to Iowa. They’re dried, salted, and folded so the size is manageable however they are still big and heavy. I would estimate the weight of them to be around 75 to 100 pounds. Im looking for suggestions on packaging and carriers to get them out there.

Thanks

B Davis

GA Hunter, you may want to try any of the trucking companies like ESTES Express, Old Dominion, and I wouldn't rule out FedEx & UPS.

p.s. I worked for my parents as a Freight Forwarder, so I'm still a bit knowledgeable. If you need further assistance with a trucking company, let me know and I'll contact my brother and ask which he would recommend.

Thanks to both of you. The packaging is at least as challenging for me. Right now I’m thinking of trying to find some sort of industrial strength poly bag or a cardboard appliance box that I can cut down to size.

Easy, set up a whitetail hunt this fall in Iowa and drive it! Perfect excuse for another hunt!

Shipped a raw salted bear hide and skin a couple years ago from Kodiak to Artistry. Went to Wal-mart and bought a plastic tote and double bagged it, taped it twice, etc but shipped it Fedex overnight. It beat me home and was in great shape. Just make sure it cannot leak. If they see liquid they will throw it away without contacting you. (Dont use cardboard). they ship live lobsters the same way, up to about 70 lbs. Overall weight was about 60 lbs. Hope that helps.

Those skin are hard as wood you can't hurt them I do this all the time. Don't worry about a box or crate Put them in a 2 burlap sacks double it with two bags. both skins in it wrap with rope or twine, and ship them out. USPS I think will take up to 150lbs or use greyhound or call a shipping broker, Salted skins are one of the cheapest freight rates you can ship its like class 50. CHEAP.

Take a piece of plywood 5" by 6" and make a tag for the bag , address it just like a letter , your return address in corner Jeff's address In Iowa on front, both sides on it and drill a hole thru the plywood tag in the corner and tie it to the sack.

Sounds like you got the info you will need. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you