35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
Just curious if anyone has any real world experience with these things?

I have been using 700's for over 20 years now, in a lot of different applications. The huge bolt knob seem to be a growing trend. With any trend I usually like to here what REAL people have to say about them before I make a decision.

Is the only real advantage, it's easier to operate the bolt with gloves on? If there are other advantages, please let me know.

I have, in the past operated a few bolts with these things on them(savage scout rifle), they just seem a little cumbersome. In my mind they just don't feel they would give the shooter much of an advantage, besides looking cool. Feedback is always appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, we're getting Internet /computer /network fixed today at 14:00 so unfortunately for you guys I can do posting from my computer instead of the damn phone.

Last edited:
I'm also curious what people will write.

Only recently have I started thinking that some of my rifles could use slightly larger and slightly rounder bolt knob. I'm a big fan of spoon handles but I do like the bigger pear-shaped knob of older commercial Mausers, even over the standard milatary ones. But even the pear shaped one is still quite a bit smaller than tactical style knobs. I also seem to now lean more towards smooth surface rather than any checkering or engraving on the bolt knob itself. Maybe I'm getting old or maybe I'm realizing with age that I only like the things that are "just right". :D On my target rifles, I prefer the bigger "tactical" bolt knob/handle for sure as I find working the bolt prone, takes a little bit more effort, so the bigger bolt makes it easier. Overall I'd say the smoother the bolt's operation, the less need for big bolt knob/handle.

Never really thought about it myself until I watched Larry Potterfield do it on one of his projects! Some of my scope mounts are low and I think it might hit!

Never really thought about it myself until I watched Larry Potterfield do it on one of his projects! Some of my scope mounts are low and I think it might hit!
Likely it would hit... I have a 700 match grade, with a nikon monarch 4×16, with medium height rings and the handle pops open the rear scope cap every time you work the action with the cap down. Not that I shoot with the scope caps down. Just emphasis on how close bolt comes to the stock.

I made the trip to the local gunshop and was allowed to work the actions on a couple of them (with this large bolt knob). I get the look, it looks bad @$$ but I personally just don't see an advantage over a traditional bolt.

Last edited:
I've been shooting precision rifles for some time now, and the tactical "know it all's" seem to have the same question to me about running a standard bolt handle and not an oversize chunk of steel.....

Personally I think the trend of making the bolt handle knob into a giant hunk of steel that looks like a chicken leg has gotten out of control.

I've shot friends rifles that the oversize bolt knob is resting against the top of my index finger 3rd knuckle, and under recoil the slap of the knob is not only irradiating, but distracting for the follow through.

I can see the benefit of modifying the stock bolt handle on a rifle to improve the grasp and smooth cycling of the action, but like many of the so called "tactical improvements" the bolt handle knob size has gotten rediculous.

Likely it would hit... I have a 700 match grade, with a nikon monarch 4×16, with medium height rings and the handle pops open the rear scope cap every time you work the action with the cap down. Not that I shoot with the scope caps down. Just emphasis on how close bolt comes to the stock.

I made the trip to the local gunshop and was allowed to work the actions on a couple of them (with this large bolt knob). I get the look, it looks bad @$$ but I personally just don't see an advantage over a traditional bolt.
"Scope, not stock"

Guys I have them on almost all my rifles that I use to Hunt and I love them. Bolt acquisition and manipulation is greatly enhanced. The both rifles I used for my safari had them.
Ruger American 270
image.jpeg
On all my hunting rifles such as this one I use a pop on rubber bolt ball as I like the feel of them and it's a helluva lot easier than cutting the bolt handle off and welding on a new one.
300 wm
image.jpeg
416 ruger
image.jpeg

375 H&H
image.jpeg
ruger m77 243 ( hard to see but it has one)
image.jpeg

The thing is it's like anything else 1) it can be overdone, I've seen a few that were rediculously large and 2) it's personal preference, I like them for bolt guns that I use but it's not for everyone.
If you like them use them if not don't. They certainly have a purpose on some rifles but not all. On my 17hmr I tried one and took it off because I liked the feel of the smaller bolt handle on that particular rifle but no way I'd take them off some of the others. So I guess I'm really saying it depends on you, the rifle, and the over all size of the knob you put on.
If you want to try one get the ones I use, they are the Hornady bolt knobs and cost about 5 bucks. If you don't like it you pop them off and you didn't waste a bunch of money.

To me, it seems like a solution to a non-existent problem. I don't ever remember having somehow missed the bolt handle (experience which includes several mannlicher style butter knife handles.) However, if it works for you, then I would have at it. There is no right or wrong answer.

I guess for me it makes the rifle less appealing visually, and possibly more likely to catch on brush and stuff. I have never had any problems working any of my bolts, the adrenaline takes over and I can move it fairly fast. But I'm also a guy who likes a long barrel on a gun too.

What really counts is that no matter what sort of equipment one chooses .... practice, practice, practice and then, practice some more with it.

That being said, IMO both the most functional (as well as by far the best looking) bolt handle / bolt knob in the history of rifles is the Pre-War Oberndorf "tear drop" or sometimes called "pear shaped" bolt knob.

It is shown in many of the photos of fantastic hunting Mausers, on the pages of Jon Speed's excellent book "Mauser: Original Orberndorf Sporting Rifles".

Last edited:
It started, to the best of my knowledge, with the Finns and probably with military biathlon rifles. I am thinking of the old Tikka M55 (biathlon model) with the dished butt stock. They are very nice, accurate rifles but relatively rare at this end of the world.
When you see a Tikka sporter with a large bolt knob in an advertisement, it tends to be a Scandinavian winter theme, with heavy gloves in evidence.

I prefer the over-sized bolt knobs on my tactical bolt guns. Some of the classes I have taken require a high volume of accurately placed shots while keeping a perfect cheek weld and your eye on the target over very long distances; this requires the shooter to manipulate the bolt while you are watching your bullets hit downrange. The over-size bolt knob makes this a MUCH easier task.

For hunting rifles, I prefer the smaller factory bolt knob. I don't need more than one or two shots and am not worried about manipulating the bolt while I watch my bullet track to 1000 yards. The small bolt knob makes the rifle profile much smaller and less likely to snag on things or poke your back on sling. I also like my optics LOW on my hunting rifles, and the over-sized knobs come very close to hitting low mounted scopes, and actually make bolt manipulation SLOWER because you have to change your grip on the knob to clear the scope.

So, if I am taking a sniper course at **NOT**PERMITTED**, yes. If I am hunting, no.

Whatever floats your boat, it's your gun, do what ever you want to it.

For winter hunts I could see a large bolt knob being handi.

What really counts is that no matter what sort of equipment one chooses .... practice, practice, practice and then, practice some more with it.

That being said, IMO both the most functional (as well as by far the best looking) bolt handle / bolt knob in the history of rifles is the Pre-War Oberndorf "tear drop" or sometimes called "pear shaped" bolt knob.

It is shown in many of the photos of fantastic hunting Mausers, on the pages of Jon Speed's excellent book "Mauser: Original Orberndorf Sporting Rifles".

I agree wholeheartedly. It is this pear-shaped bolt handle that made me start thinking about some of the other ones being a bit too small or rough (they are just checkered/engraved and never bothered me...I like them...but that pear is a thing of beauty). I never thought about it until I acquired one Oberndorf Type S Mauser in 7x57 with such handle. Mmmmmmm. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg