Overnight Johannesburg

Ryan Wilson

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa, Texas, Wyoming, Alberta Canada, South Africa
I'm booking a trip to the Eastern Cape and need recommendations on a hotel to stay in overnight in Johannesburg. Thanks in advance. RW

Afton Guesthouse. They will pickup/drop off at the airport and they have a gentleman that will assist you with clearing your rifles. All for a very fair rate!

http://www.aftonguesthouse.com/

Agreed.. Afton

In order:
(1) Intercontinental Airport
(2) City Lodge Airport

Now called the Afton Safari Lodge, they take very good care of traveling hunters.... A great alternate choice would be Africa Sky Guest house. It's a bit fancier and more expensive than the Afton with a full service restaurant on the premises. As mentioned, both offer meet & greet at the airport and VIP meet & greet which will get you through the line at passport control much faster.

The Afton, I feel like family there.

Depends on how early your flight is the next day but I would stay at the Intercontinental

From memory, the Intercontinental is right across the road from the international terminal - you can literally push your luggage trolley across to the hotel, it's that close

If it's literally just for a quick overnight the City Lodge is hard to beat. You can walk to your gate from it. If the time is a bit more extended then Afton is a great choice.

AfricaSky. They will pick you up, take care of luggage, feed you, water you, give you a comfortable bed, and then get you back to the airport in time for your flight. And be nice about it the whole time. They also do firearms permits.

I've stayed at Afton and Africa Sky though it has been four years ago now. The supper menu at Africa Sky was more varied and excellent. Afton House offered an expensive steak dinner that wasn't really up to snuff but maybe it was just an "off" evening.

Ditto on Africa Sky Guest House. Pickup and drop off is great, close by, very nice rooms and very good food. Used them in 2011 and again last fall (Oct 2016) - if anything it was even better this time around.

Intercontinental is very good place to stay and Quills restaurant in the lobby is excellent. City Lodge is also a good choice a little cheaper but with these 2 places you never leave the airport so to speak. I have stayed at Afton and it is nice with friendly staff , I prefer not to get shuttle as I had issues with shuttle on a previous trip with another guesthouse.

In order:
(1) Intercontinental Airport
(2) City Lodge Airport

I have stayed at Africa Sky and Intercontinental Airport. Africa Sky will arrange for your gun permit, pick you up and that you back to their place, feed you and beer you up. You will meet other hunters there. When I was there both Ivan Carter and Johann Calitz were there. They will take you to the train station of you want to go to Sandton or Rosebank or can arrange a tour. And the next day return you to the airport. That said, its winter there right now the and bar is outside so be prepared.

On the other hand Intercontinental and City Lodge are both at the airport and you walk to them. The train station is in the airport for a trip to Sandton or Rosebank. You can get Riflepermits.com to handle your gun permit. of you want a your the hotel can arrange that too. The Food and drink while not included in your room at Intercontinental, is excellent. Or save some money and eat at the food court in the airport and enjoy your drinks at the hotel bar. Nando's is my favorite chicken place and there is one in the food court.

City Lodge, right at the airport is super convenient and good value. A nice, proper breakfast comes with the room. I've also stayed several times at the African Rock (http://www.africanrockhotels.com/ ) and it's quite nice, a bit pricey and about 15 minutes from the airport. A driver meets you in the airport and drives you to and from the hotel. There are only 9 rooms. This is my wife's favorite place to stay and dinner is exceptionally good there.

Just coming back from JoBurg
Stayed at the President Lodge close to Airport. Excellent accommodations. Stayed there coming and going. Supper and breakfast included. Great place and excellent people.

I stayed at Afton house on my way over to Zim. Coming back, I am here at Afton Safari Lodge again.

They recently had a change in ownership and the new owner is the publisher of Africa Hunting Gazette. They seem to be putting some effort into upping their game here. I like that it is a hunter owned and operated location.

I have not tried the others. Don't expect to unless Afton is booked when I want to come through again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you