Outfitter Suggestions

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I am starting to research pricing and references and thought maybe we can start a thread that could be of use (maybe even stickied) for many more folks than me.

I only know 1 person I trust who has hunted Africa so first hand experience isnt an option for me. I have already contacted several the folks that support AH and have seen reviews on this site for.

Anyway, the main reason for this post is this: list any outfitter(s) in Africa you have personally hunted with and would recommend, what year(s) you hunted there, and a reason or two why you recommend them, and any other brief info you feel important. Hopefully this helps lots of people (me included) narrow down the thousands of choices, and is actually a good/helpful idea haha

Feel free to PM me info on the good (or bad) if you dont want to post publicly for any reason

KMG Safaris
Consider them family
Hunted wth them 4 times and going back in 2021
Marius's Team go all out to the last minute of the last day to secure you the best animals available.
Marius is extremly honest and a man of his word

Cruiser Safaris. Hunted with them in 2014 and 2017. Limpopo area in South Africa. They have a great web site with a newsletter listing everyone who has hunted them going back to 2008. Their USA contact has been Cruiser Bob in Michigan.

What are you looking at hunting? A number of them tend to specialize in certain PG game, high fenced, free range, DG, ?
Is there a particular country you are considering?

What are you looking at hunting? A number of them tend to specialize in certain PG game, high fenced, free range, DG, ?
Is there a particular country you are considering?

A lot lol. I've got my top few (nyala definitely 100% #1) PG plus DG. I figured a more general thread would be more useful to the entire community instead of being too specific to me alone. Besides, I'm still trying to gather enough information to give an accurate answer to that question :)

Jamy Traut in Namibia in 2018 with my son and dad. Excellent organization. My son and I are returning with them this June. (And bringing my non-hunter wife and daughter)
They do a great job with family groups.

Many outfitters from here replied to my post for a Cull Hunt deal.
I chose an outfitter after another Aussie suggested them.
can’t speak from experience yet but my experience so far has been good!
Good communication, good reports, answers to my endless questions and an update showing new accom and plans for my upcoming hunt.(3 weeks)
I will do a report when I’m back,
Maybe post an ad with what you are looking for. You will no doubt get people competing for your business and working to get repeat custom.

Mike, it really depends a lot on what you are looking to hunt but my hunt with Marius and his crew from KMG included nyala and cape bushbuck. I took a magnificent specimen of each and we had a ball. I think he gets the Aussie humour better than most. I will be back to hunt elephant with him in 230 'ish days...... Bundaberg rum supplies withstanding :D

Regards,
Mark.

Aussie, Bundy, you seem ok. I’ll be happy to start my first hunt in 16 days ish.

Given that Nyala tops your list, look no further than Marius Goosen from KMG Safaris. In August I'll be undertaking my fourth African safari, and my third with KMG; this time hunting buffalo. My first safari with KMG was the classic East Cape specialties of Nyala and Bushbuck, such beautiful animals to hunt. I also took Blesbok, Waterbuck, Zebra, and a fantastic Eland. This year I went back and hunted the mountain species, Vaal Rhebuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Barbary Sheep and a thumping Bushpig boar. I took back four mates who all had a awesome hunt and took home a great bag of trophies.

Why do I recommend KMG? Firstly, for the challenge of the hunt. You will work for your animals, hunt them properly, stalking self sustaining herds in true fair-chase situations. And KMG's PH's are all reliable, personable people who hunt hard, have exceptionally high trophy standards and will not rest until you've achieved your goals. These guys will not settle for anything less than a fantastic, mature trophy. And they know how to have fun when the hunt is finished for the day!

Marius is always more than happy to tailor a hunt to suit your requirements, in 2018 I took my wife and kids and had the trip of a lifetime. And their rates are very competitive. Lodging, food, etc is fantastic and you'll be looked after like a true friend, which is what I now consider the KMG team. Book with confidence.

Hello there @mikecatt13 ,

You are going to get a ton of recommendations and private messages on this one. There are lots of very good outfitters represented here that will do a great job for you!

For me personally, I cannot recommend Hannes Els with Limcroma Safaris highly enough. Limcroma came highly recommended to me as one of the best bow hunting outfitters back when I was planning my first safari a few years ago. They were also regarded as one of the best outfits for hosting families on safari. The combination of their bowhunting expertise and the family accommodations were the two biggest factors in making my decision. Their location being in the Limpopo province of South Africa making the logistics for a first trip very convenient was also a huge plus. Overall, things could not have gone more smoothly, from the planning and communication over a year out all the way to getting my trophies delivered back home. They are a 5-star operation in every aspect. Their attention to the smallest detail was amazing! I would recommend them highly for rifle and bow hunters alike.

The link to my review/report is listed below. Send me a private message anytime with questions. I would be happy to share more details of my safari with you.

Cheers, Dave

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...nt-family-safari-with-limcroma-safaris.25472/

I have hunted twice with Quagga Safaris located right on the Limpopo River in South Africa. (2018 and 2019) You will be treated like family by Erik Visser and his crew. Excellent quality of game and 4 star lodging and food. I recommend them without exception. I have collected 17 animals on my two hunts with Quagga, including Cape Buffalo (a big 45 inch spread), Sable, Kudu, Limpopo Bushbuck (16 inch!), Waterbuck, Nyala, Zebra, etc. etc. They have four different tracts of about 6000 acres and excellent game. I will be booking with them again. Quagga has several world record animals in their book and hunters bagged 4 or 5 Sable of 50 inches or more during 2019 at Quagga.
If you are in Texas, go to the Dallas Safari Club Convention in January and you can meet Erik and many of his crew as well as many other outfitters. There are dozens of African outfitters that have booths at the DSC show and I recommend that you go and interview as many as you can before making your decision. I interviewed about a dozen before selecting Quagga.

I hunted with Kalahari Rangers in the Northern Cape. What I liked about it was, you were way out in the sticks, two hours from the closest airport in Kurman. However, the border crossing was right on the property so their was some activity near by. The accommodations were rated 4 stars. The locals would drop by for drinks at the bar, other locals would come by for meat. A short crossing and you can be in Botswana and a short drive real village. Plenty of game, all raised on property. You generally have the whole farm to your self, 24k acres. If you need a camp gun, he has a Blaser R8 w/ Leica Magnus scope.

What I did not care for, it’s really in the Kalahari and it’s all lightly packed sand. One step and it loose, tiring to walk in. It was like walking on the beach.

I did enjoy the hunt and have no reservations about recommend them.

KMG has a great reputation on here, and would be a logical choice for South Africa. Could get a little trickier if Nyala and Buffalo in a big wild area are at the top of your list. Zim and Mozambique come to mind. The Save in particular, Humani has Nyala and Buffalo, Thierry Labatt can hook you up or the Whittail's themselves. The Save has a tremendous amount of animals and is an incredible place to visit, with that in mind some of the Save blocks do not have Nyala and may not be that much bigger than some large ranches in SA, but dangerous game abounds, whether you are hunting them or not. And then there is Mozambique, Coutada 9, huge unfenced wild Africa, tons of plains game, lots of the tiny ten, excellent Nyala, good heavy Sable, you can take a Buffalo by tracking the way it should be. Mokore Safaris and the Duckworth's are top notch and you won't have to look far to find many references. I am sure there are other area's in Moz like the Niassa or more towards the coast where you can shoot plenty of game in a big wild environment. Good luck, doing the research is half the fun, even though it can be overwhelming at times. Highly recommend going to DSC or SCI and meeting some folks

+1 for Mokore Safaris and Coutada 9 Mozambique. Top flight outfit and 850,000 acres of wild Africa. Some of the best PG hunting to be had anywhere, including Nyala, Sable, Kudu and many more, not to mention great Buff as well as Lion and Ele.
I happen to know there are 14 days available in October, 2020 ;) I had them booked and had to change my hunt dates. Will be going in 2021 instead.
I hunted with Doug Duckworth for tuskless ele and PGlast year in Sengwa, Zimbabwe which is one of their two areas in Zim.
For detailed info you can see my hunt report here if interested
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...research-tuskless-elephant-plains-game.45022/

For me personally, I cannot recommend Hannes Els with Limcroma Safaris highly enough. Limcroma came highly recommended to me as one of the best bow hunting outfitters back when I was planning my first safari a few years ago. They were also regarded as one of the best outfits for hosting families on safari. The combination of their bowhunting expertise and the family accommodations were the two biggest factors in making my decision. Their location being in the Limpopo province of South Africa making the logistics for a first trip very convenient was also a huge plus. Overall, things could not have gone more smoothly, from the planning and communication over a year out all the way to getting my trophies delivered back home. They are a 5-star operation in every aspect. Their attention to the smallest detail was amazing! I would recommend them highly for rifle and bow hunters alike.

+1 for Limcroma...! My husband and I are both bow hunters and we had an absolute blast! Send me a private message if you want more details.

Another vote for @KMG Hunting Safaris for all the reasons listed above. I hunted with Marius in 2018 and had a phenomenal time.

Also hunted Namibia with Nick Nolte Safaris in 2014. Also an excellent experience.

As you can see from responses you are receiving, there are a lot of great professional hunters in South Africa. I have been to southern Africa five times (two Namibia, two South Africa, once to Mozambique and have hunted extensively in North America as well. I have hunted in Africa three time with John X Safaris and Carl Van Zyl is the absolute best I have ever hunted with.

I am starting to research pricing and references and thought maybe we can start a thread that could be of use (maybe even stickied) for many more folks than me.

I only know 1 person I trust who has hunted Africa so first hand experience isnt an option for me. I have already contacted several the folks that support AH and have seen reviews on this site for.

Anyway, the main reason for this post is this: list any outfitter(s) in Africa you have personally hunted with and would recommend, what year(s) you hunted there, and a reason or two why you recommend them, and any other brief info you feel important. Hopefully this helps lots of people (me included) narrow down the thousands of choices, and is actually a good/helpful idea haha

Feel free to PM me info on the good (or bad) if you dont want to post publicly for any reason

Hi Mikecatt13,

I just wanted to recommend JKO Safaris (Jacques Spamer) to you for your Africa hunting option. I was fortunate enough to hunt with them Jacques in June of this year; first time hunt in SA. I have to say that the experience was beyond anything that I would have imagined or dreamed. JKO worked hard to provide a remarkable hunt with truly, quality animals. If you are interested, here is a link for the hunting report that I did on AH:

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...safaris-–-first-time-in-sa.52888/#post-571623

Please feel free to take a look and PM me if you have any questions about my experience. I would be happy to share what I can that is not provided in the report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg