Otto Kilcher, Alaska The Last Frontier - Rant warning

I'd run trhat stupid Jane thing out of Alaka...and Otto marries Charlotte bat that can't eat meat ? A homesteader in Alaska ?Give me a break ~

My wife is in the home building industry and one of her friends set up a meeting with a producer to discuss filming a pilot. After what she was told in that meeting she has little desire to watch any sort of tv.

Gents,

Not sure how many of you have seen this t.v. show, but I'm sure some have. I've been watching it the last couple of years. My wife and I have made this a regular thing on Sunday evening to watch the Kilcher family and their chosen homestead lifestyle somewhere up in Alaska.

I have no delusions that homesteading in the 2000's is far less difficult than homesteading in say the early 1900's or previous to that. But nonetheless I'm sure it's not entirely easy. And I have developed a bit of respect and admiration for the Kilcher family and how they've chosen to live their lives.

I can only imagine the encounters with wildlife they endure, the challenges of the long winters and whatever else they're challenged with. But with one statement by Otto Kilcher, that all went into the crapper this evening.

Donna and I sat down to watch an episode that apparently was going to be about moving a herd of buffalo that a Native American tribe owned into a safer area or something like that. I don't know really as I had to immediately turn it off when Otto made a statement to the effect of "poachers and trophy hunters would hunt the buffalo to extinction."

I was pissed and looked up the show's FB site and sent a post to it expressing my feelings. Apparently the post must be approved, which likely it won't. Whatever the case, I would encourage my AH brethren to boycott the show.

Okay, rant over.
I liked the show when it first started but now I see right through their made up drama and careless/dangerous stunts to add that drama. I also know when people are bought and paid for. The mention Climate change or global warming several times in one episode or more right after they said, " we had bad droughts here some years ago" They also use the excuse because there's fewer animals to kill. Crap, they kill 12,000 or more Deer each year in that state. Lately they seem to have access to all kinds of $$$ goods and services. Thanks for pointing out the realities

There is no such thing as reality TV. I have friends who have been on The Apprentice, Wife Swap, The Doctors, Extreme Home Makeover, and who have worked on Survivor and the Bear Grylls show. To a person, they say the same thing - what you see on TV isn’t really what happens and what you do see is largely the product of producers shaping scenes and the behaviour of the actors.

Kind of like comparing the book to the movie. Similar in name only and maybe the names of the characters.

The problem is these shows act like its still 1900 in Alaska. Very very few people are going to go hungry if they don't get that moose.

Random funny story. I once worked in a wilderness therapy program. We stayed in tents like this we built and maintained
images.jpeg

There was also a somewhat run down house for off duty staff to stay in. Our supervisor had the idea to get Extreme Home Makeover to do a show about us and rebuild the staff house. His idea was that while they built a new staff house the boys and staff would build a massive two story tent and the show would be a race. I think it would have been hilarious. But video cameras and emotionally disturbed adolescents aren't a good mix so the idea died.

My wife watches a show called “dr pimple popper” I like it although it makes my stomach churn-BUT I always wonder why people with weird lumps and growths don’t get them removed when they are small and simple. Do you have to let a marble size lump on your shoulder become a basketball before you qualify to be on her show and getting fixed?! Their Christmas episode was especially silly.

I like watching Dr Popper just to see how stupid some of these people are.

Then there are the ones that do have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. But those growths that look like basket balls are something else

I believe that the Kilcher family are multi-millionaires. The show is nothing but fully scripted nonsense that has nothing to do with their actual lifestyles. Up to you whether you enjoy it or loathe it. Just remember its a work of fiction.

The beat reality TV is sports. Actually it’s probably the only reality TV.

The mother of one of the Kilchers brides lives in my town. She’s been on the show with her daughter a few times. Woman is crazy as a pet coon. I can’t stand any of those programs.

I live in Homer and see them regularly in the restaurants and bars. Totally scripted. They were in the boat harbor doing multiple takes. They definitely aren’t “substance” if they have to charter boats for fishing and fly to kodiak or Adak or montague island.
as for the bison, i don’t know of any native tribes that own the bison. Land that the bison wonder onto like the Copper basin herd or the farewell herd, but gotta get a draw tag and pay trespass fees...or find one on public land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg