Otjiwa Rhino Conservancy Plains Game Hunt for 2!! Discounted for 2012 only!!

SafariSean

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
many
This hunt was purchased by an SCI member in Milwaukee during the annual fund raiser in late winter and a $1500 deposit was paid at that time for he and his son to hunt with us in September. We have received notice that he will not be able to come and that he is forfeiting his deposit so his loss is your gain! Details as follows;

This Hunt is offered by TheSafariConnection.com and Namib Sun Safaris/Otjiwa Conservancy

The Ph for this hunt will be Jannie Lottering-resident PH at Otjiwa

The hunt will include all daily rates for 2 hunters and 2 Gemsbok, 2 Hartebeest, 2 Impala or Springbok (hunters choice) and 2 Warthogs.

Otjiwa is one of the finest hunting ranches in Namibia and was originally owned and operated by Windhoek Breweries as their private hunting ranch and conservatory for White Rhino, Angolan Giant Sable and Roan all of which are still present on the ranch. In 2008 Namib Sun purchased Otjiwa from the brewery and added over 2 million US$ in upgraded lodges , individual chalets and conference facilities which no other hunting ranch in Namibia can match or even come close to! We are the largest breeder of Sable in Namibia and have one of the largest private herds of Rhino in the country. Check out the pics which include our fantastic lodge, a huge 46 inch Sable that was the cover photo of African Sporting Gazette and a Kudu that was taken from one of our cattle farms near Etosha that measured over 70 inches (no BS here a real 70 incher)!

The cost for this safari will be $7000 all in from Windhoek and I will guarantee there are no add ons period!!!

Sean Scott
070.jpgDSCN0495.jpgDSCN0494.jpgCopy of Rhino 2007 103.jpgCopy of P1010698.JPGCopy of Kudu - 57.2.jpgCopy of jaap eland.jpgCopy of Holger Babak 020.jpgCopy of Gemsbok Kallahari - 46 inch.jpgCopy of Craig Larimer C.JPGCopy of Chalet Interior OSL.jpgAfrican Sporting Gazette Pictures 002.jpg119.jpg107.jpgmapLarge.jpg

Sean, thats a nice offer. Nice lodge and amazing pics.
I love the sable, allthough i dont think or hope its an angolan giant sable (as far as i know, theres only a handfull left in the world).
Further i cant understand that the kudu are 70",maybe 55-60"? Pretty looking hunter though...
Anyway a nice offer!

If I remember correct, there is one herd of angolan giant left. Whereabout of that herd I dont know.
This is a quote from Peter Flacks article about the royal sable:

And then, just when I and almost
everyone else interested in royal sable
were about to give up the ghost,
fantastic news arrived from Angola
courtesy of Jeremy Anderson. A
Botswana game capture pilot,
accompanied by a South African trained
vet, had not only spotted the seven royal
sable cows near Cangandala but had
darted and collared two royal sable bulls
in Luando National Park. In time, the
news became better still. The cows and
at least one bull were caught and
transferred to a 400 hectare, fenced
enclosure in Cangandala. At last there
was some certainty that these majestic
animals, the icon of all African game
icons, could begin their slow but certain
retreat from extinction.

edit: I didnt notice the singel kuduhorn. That one are amazing and could very well be 70"
:)

The Sable were placed there about 35 years ago by the original owners Windhoek Breweries. They claimed all original stock to be wild captures from northern Namibia and southern Angola or what was then Southwest Africa. Since then outside genetics have been introduced and we are allowed to export the current herd on the ranch. We charge other ranches about $20,000-25,000 US$ for a breeding pair. Take a look at the posted pics and if you are hunting Namibia we would be more than happy to show you 3 year olds that are 44-45 inches in our breeding paddock area, that also goes to any other hunter visiting Namibia, just call and let us know and we will be glad to give anyone a tour which also would include a visit to one of the last remaining Condor rookeries in the country! It is plainly obvious that upon seeing our herd of 200 animals that we have superior genetics that could only be accounted for by the original herd. SEAN

There is nothing wrong with the genetics, if one should judge by the pic. thats for sure!:D

Another thing, if they are descended from giant sable, they could be extremely valuable in the efforts to save the subspecie. They should be tested.

There is nothing wrong with the genetics, if one should judge by the pic. thats for sure!:D

yes thats for sure, but it would be interesting to see their genetic make up. as they have been cross bred and the genetics arent pure, then it doesnt help the pure angolan sable that they have in the captive breeding programme.

Actually there could be pretty pure bred ones still. If its only 35 years since wild capture. If theres only 10-12 left in Angola, they could prove valuable.

It was not the current owners decision to introduce other Sable genetics, that decision was made by the previous managers and sadly is not one that can be reversed. We are virtually certain the introduction was made in order to be able to export the trophies and given the number of guests that hunted the area over the years for Sable it is almost a certainty.
Concerning the Kudu I am 6'1" and the horn came to mid chest which is roughly 50 inches in a straight line not as the Kudu's horn curls so to speak!! You add in the extraordinarily deep depth of curl and you can easily see it is huge. I will see if they have the measurement in centimeters and post that as well for our doubting African friends.

No testing has been done to my knowledge and I think there were at least 4 outside bulls that were brought in according to local gossip but Namibia was largely unregulated for decades so who knows what was really done. We had horrible attrition due to the Cheetahs prior to placing all the remaining stock in the paddock and the herd has grown enormously since then. I would say the the original number was somewhere about 40-50 but like I said before come look at what we ended up with they are amazing animals!

I would also offer to extend our invitation to any Namibian PH or game farmer wanting to buy some very good Sable, call or email anytime to arrange a visit. SS

The hunt will include all daily rates for 2 hunters and 2 Gemsbok, 2 Hartebeest, 2 Impala or Springbok (hunters choice) and 2 Warthogs.

How many days? Perhaps I missed it!

a Kudu that was taken from one of our cattle farms near Etosha that measured over 70 inches (no BS here a real 70 incher)!

Nice Kudu horn.

No totally my bad I left out that it was 9 days including airport pickup days which would give you 7 full days plus depending on air arrival times. We are only 2 hours north of Windhoek so if we do a morning pickup you can hunt at least half a day.

No testing has been done to my knowledge and I think there were at least 4 outside bulls that were brought in according to local gossip but Namibia was largely unregulated for decades so who knows what was really done. We had horrible attrition due to the Cheetahs prior to placing all the remaining stock in the paddock and the herd has grown enormously since then. I would say the the original number was somewhere about 40-50 but like I said before come look at what we ended up with they are amazing animals!

thanks for giving some background on them. if they were giant sable its a shame they crossed them, as i hate to think what they would be worth now. :daydreaming:

They might be worth something to the non hunting groups but they would be worthless to us unfortunately. It would be interesting to have them tested but I would not know where to start.The outcome might be bad for us in the long run who knows but on the good side wow look at the Sable we are growing!!!

thanks for giving some background on them. if they were giant sable its a shame they crossed them, as i hate to think what they would be worth now. :daydreaming:

Pure Angola Giant sable? The term priceless would cover it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg