Other than horns, Cape Buffalo ears must have a story.

Neil Molendyk

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,CCFR
Hunted
Alberta Canada,Saskatchewan Canada, Namibia, Limpopo RSA, Eastern Cape RSA
So when hunting I believe its all about the hunt, the memories you get from it, the friends you make and the trophies the you collect. Having been to Africa a few times each trip is an adventure and if you take the time to listen, the PHs, the trackers, skinners all have an intimate knowledge that they all want to share with you. One thing that I had heard over again was that elephants are either left hand or right hand dominant, and if you observe the wear on they tusks , the side which is worn down more is the dominant side. This is particularly evident in Namibia's arid area, the desert adapted elephants and the elephants residing in Etosha National Park. So I started wondering if the Cape Buffalo has the same characteristics, either left or right hand dominant. The ears on the one and only buffalo I shot are are tattered and torn, the left one much more so than the right. Does this mean he was left handed? This old fellow was taken in Makuya, behind the red fence and adjoining Kruger National Park and all it's predators. I suspect that this is also evident on buffalo from other places where their natural predators are resident.

This is the left ear
1605409572995.png

And this is the right
1605410624376.png

Please feel free to share pictures of your buffalo ears if you can. In my opinion they sure add character. I hope the taxidermist can replicate them on the mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wondered about that as well.
Seeing old worn down bulls with tattered ears.
Suppose predators grab whatever they can.
Possibly damaged from fighting other Buffalo as well.
Getting pinched between their horns.

Fascinating idea! I never would have thought of that But it certainly makes sense! I’ll have to check my photos.

Only “ear” shot. Looks like he’s either left sided, or lived a mellow life.

BB116AA6-B477-4AFF-A55C-8FFB568EC1C9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wondered about that as well.
Seeing old worn down bulls with tattered ears.
Suppose predators grab whatever they can.
Possibly damaged from fighting other Buffalo as well.
Getting pinched between their horns.
I'm thinking for the Makuya bull it was lions. His back and sides were full of scars. His scrotum even had a cut in it, probably 2 inches long and 1/8 inch deep. Now that's too close for comfort. It pays to have thick skin

I'm thinking for the Makuya bull it was lions. His back and sides were full of scars. His scrotum even had a cut in it, probably 2 inches long and 1/8 inch deep. Now that's too close for comfort. It pays to have thick skin
I notice you left that picture out. ;)

Sorry, didn't take a pic of the scrotal cut.

I guess I did, notice on the top testicle, bottom of scrotum, might have to zoom in.

1605501431794.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.