Ordered a Rigby Big Game DSB in 450

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
As most of you would already know, Rigby has only ever offered the 450 Rigby chambering in the SSB configuration in their Big Game model. They are now offering the 450 Rigby chambering in a DSB in the Big Game model range, don't think it's "officially" released yet and also not on their website much like the new boxlock Shikari double but they are already available for order so no big secret to be kept.

A London best is a bit out of reach for me so I have ordered a Big Game DSB in 450 with some upgrades and extra requests. Rigby has been absolutely fantastic to deal with on this build, very responsive, happy to work with me to make sure I am getting exactly what I want and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I won't talk about costs, I'll keep that between myself and Rigby, obviously a rifle like this does not come with a small price tag but Rigby have been great to deal with and have come up with the rifle I want in a package and final cost that all parties involved are happy with.

Its a Big Game DSB in 450 Rigby
Recknagel 1" scope mounts
Grade 7 wood upgrade
22" heavy stepped barrel instead of the 24" lighter weight barrel usually fitted with the DSB configuration
And a Pachmyar large 1" Decelerator pad in either orange or black fitted at the Rigby factory in place of the usual silvers rubber recoil pad.
All other Big Game model features remain unchanged on this bespoke order.
Because of the upgrades the build time is an estimated 12 months, I'm quite happy with 12 months especially after seeing what other manufacturers current build times are.

I'll keep this thread updated as the build progresses with stock blank choices etc.

It's going to be a long 12 months!

@Aussie_Hunter, you have been bitten by Rigby bug HARD!!!! A new HS and now a Big Game within just a few months!! Way to go. Congrats!!!
I am selling my current 450 SSB to help fund this one though
I tried justifying keeping both 450's but even I couldn't convince myself of that haha

Stock options for this new Rigby build.
I requested X3 Grade 7 options and a grade 9 option to choose from, Rigby have been great and did say if none of these suit they are more than happy to provide more options.

The grade 9 option may actually be not only one of the best stocks I've seen come out of Rigby but one of the best stocks I have ever seen period, it is just so unique and the colour is amazing, still has some thick strong straight grains through the grip which is good for the heavy calibre, I couldn't let it go, I had to go with this grade 9 stock, I absolutely love it, have received a confirmation email back that the stock is now mine for this rifle and I couldn't be happier.

Which would you choose and why?

Grade 7's
1686726075581.png

1686726100964.png

1686726125825.png

1686726169346.png

Grade 9 option
1686726210658.png

1686726268938.png

1686726314580.png

1686726366588.png

The Gr7 stock in the middle seems to have the straightest grain through the pistol grip. That would be my choice. They are all beautiful pieces of wood, but that would be the most practical in terms of handling the recoil of the .450

The Gr7 stock in the middle seems to have the straightest grain through the pistol grip. That would be my choice. They are all beautiful pieces of wood, but that would be the most practical in terms of handling the recoil of the .450
Yeah it's a bloody nice piece of timber thats for sure, that was my second choice, I spent most of the day trying to decide between it and the grade 9 option

I requested X3 Grade 7 options and a grade 9 option to choose from, Rigby have been great and did say if none of these suit they are more than happy to provide more options.

The grade 9 option may actually be not only one of the best stocks I've seen come out of Rigby but one of the best stocks I have ever seen period, it is just so unique and the colour is amazing, still has some thick strong straight grains through the grip which is good for the heavy calibre, I couldn't let it go, I had to go with this grade 9 stock, I absolutely love it, have received a confirmation email back that the stock is now mine for this rifle and I couldn't be happier.

I would also have a hard time resisting that grade 9 wood but if it was to expensive I would have gone with the grade 7 to the right.

Congratulations on this order, looking forward to seeing more pictures of it propped up against a buffalo!

The grade 9 is beautiful, but I find it a bit much. The middle grade 7, with the straighter grain through the grip would be my choice

Congratulations on this order, looking forward to seeing more pictures of it propped up against a buffalo!

The grade 9 is beautiful, but I find it a bit much. The middle grade 7, with the straighter grain through the grip would be my choice
It was tough choice between the 2, could have gone with the middle grade 7 and been just as happy with it, amazing piece of wood

Grade 9 all day and a beautiful piece of wood!

HH
Yeah as I said as soon as I saw it I just could not pass it up, so unique so much character, a 450 DSB on this stock will be more than I could ever ask for. I rang the Rigby distributor straight away and said holy F*&$, he said yeah I know I said the same thing!

Well done. I like your choice on the barrel. Good call on the timber.

Of the Gr 7s, I like the look of the left hand stock in the second picture.

Well done. I like your choice on the barrel. Good call on the timber.

Of the Gr 7s, I like the look of the left hand stock in the second picture.
I doubt whoever ends up with it would be disappointed, I think all the grade 7 options are great. The one on the left reminds me of a lot of stocks I've seen on Verney doubles.

Grade 7's
View attachment 539964
View attachment 539965
View attachment 539966
View attachment 539967

Grade 9 option
View attachment 539968
View attachment 539969
View attachment 539970
View attachment 539971
Grade 9 just due to the incredible lines through the wood offering some of the best contrast I have ever seen…I fully understand why you said one of the most beautiful stocks you have seen. Truly magnificent! Excited for you!!!

Grade 9 without a doubt!! Incredible!! None of the 7’s would be a bad choice as well, though I’m partial to the one on the left.
If you don’t mind - % price diff?

Yeah it's a bloody nice piece of timber thats for sure, that was my second choice, I spent most of the day trying to decide between it and the grade 9 option
Congrats Aussie Hunter!! Those two would have been my top choices as well. Both seem to have nice straight grain though the wrist. Also they are quite symmetrical when comparing each sides, left and right of the stock.

I know you have made your choice already but IF you were still deciding between the two you could consider a couple more views. Not sure whether these pictures were taken indoors or outdoors. If they are indoor pictures then you could ask for pictures under natural sun light. Also you could ask for a birdseye view of the wrists (or the grip area) to see how the grain flows from that view as well.

Not sure what the price difference is but if the difference is significant then I would be happy with grade 7 middle option. Otherwise grade 9 would be my 1st choice as well.

Grade 9 without a doubt!! Incredible!! None of the 7’s would be a bad choice as well, though I’m partial to the one on the left.
If you don’t mind - % price diff?
Significant price difference between 7 and 9.

These aren't exact numbers and I won't say exactly how much I paid for this grade 9 stock but in Australia a Grade 6 upgrade is around $3000, grade 7 is around $3500, grade 8 is around $4800 and grade 9 is around $6000, this is all AUD. I questioned the only slight difference in price between grade 6 and grade 7 and they weren't sure why it's such a small jump in cost but as you can see from these costs grade 7 is the best value for money by far. Having said all this obviously at times there are variations between grades, I have recently seen a Big Game PH model which is only meant to have grade 2 wood and the stock was amazing I would have said it was grade 5, and same goes for the higher grades as well, I have seen a grade 9 wood upgrade on a Highland Stalker that yeah was nice but I wouldn't consider it grade 9 it looked more grade 7 to me.

This grade 9 stock I have gone with all though more than I wanted to spend, I actually consider it to be at the exhibition grade level, I think it's past grade 9, as mentioned in a previous comment as soon as I saw it I just could not pass it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieSchref

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,