BourbonTrail

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA), RSA
I came across this on Optics Planet, and I wondered if it’s just a gimmick or a reasonable way to increase the flexibility of a low power scope:

1639681116286.png

Anyone ever used one of these or something similar?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.36.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.36.45 PM.png
    967.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.36.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.36.46 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.36.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.36.48 PM.png
    962 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.36.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.36.50 PM.png
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 120
What is regarded as a low power scope?

Never heard of it. I could actually see this being a problem with a 1-4 or 1-6 since most of them are 20mm or 24mm --- imagine the field of view at 12x

At 8 ounces, that seems heavy. If i was going to mount a scope in excess of 1 pound, I'd rather have a 2-10x44

Doesn’t Swaro have something like this for their bino’s?

Optically, it would likely turn a quality to scope into a $250 scope.

I've used similar pieces on cameras. We had them in reconnaissance kits. Assuming the glass is good quality, the biggest issue you'll probably run into is light transmission. That was my experience anyway.

IMO...gimmick. Save your money and put it into a quality optic, not an add on to try to make your optic into something it's not.

The day I put something like this on a Swaro, Leica, Zeiss or even a Leupold...you will also find me in the driveway putting hubcaps on a Mercedes-Benz.

IMO...gimmick. Save your money and put it into a quality optic, not an add on to try to make your optic into something it's not.

The day I put something like this on a Swaro, Leica, Zeiss or even a Leupold...you will also find me in the driveway putting hubcaps on a Mercedes-Benz.

And likely putting one of those steering wheel knobs (like tractors often have) on your Ferrari :D

(I have an uncle who actually did that on his Mercedes M-class suv…)

Well no worries about putting this on a Leica/Swaro/Zeiss scope from me…I’ll probably never own one.
Unfortunately my dreams of having a Swarovski are on hold. I do believe the quality glass does show the difference.

I think RedLeg summed it up.

My opinion, save the purchase price and wait till you find the right scope.

1-4 or 1-6…DG type scopes. I’m wondering if something like this would replace the need to have 2 different scopes for one rifle.
But you see that you need two scopes is the fallacy that is constantly spouted here. I have a 2-12X and 1.3-13X on DG rifles and have never understood the need for the little 1-6.
PG

But you see that you need two scopes is the fallacy that is constantly spouted here. I have a 2-12X and 1.3-13X on DG rifles and have never understood the need for the little 1-6.
PG
Who makes a 1.3-13x?

PG
Yes, I see what you mean but it's a $250 accessory or another scope costing probably 10x that and some comparison.
I picked it from your comment you have high end scopes.
I don't blame you, I would like some.
I wanted a Z5 in 2.4-12x50, I thought it might be quite versatile and it's still on the lighter side.

My concern with the 2-?x scopes is that target acquisition at close range is too slow for DG hunting. Maybe that’s where the QD scope comes into play?

I ask all of this because I am shopping around for optics for my 416 RM Model 70. Leupold VX3 is currently about the most expensive glass I am considering (maybe VX5). I feel like bolting swaro glass on to that rifle is like putting a McLaren F1 motor in a Chevy Vega.

My concern with the 2-?x scopes is that target acquisition at close range is too slow for DG hunting. Maybe that’s where the QD scope comes into play?

I ask all of this because I am shopping around for optics for my 416 RM Model 70. Leupold VX3 is currently about the most expensive glass I am considering (maybe VX5). I feel like bolting swaro glass on to that rifle is like putting a McLaren F1 motor in a Chevy Vega.
I shot my first buffalo with a 3x9 Trijicon. The subsequent three were shot using 1.5x10 Leica's (from two other rifles). All three rifles were .375's. All three scopes were set on 4x at the shot. They all rode in quick detachable mounts should a follow-up be required in thick stuff. None was. I have never shot a game animal anywhere in my life with a scope set higher than 6x. Like @Philip Glass, I just don't get worrying about a second scope or some sort of magnifying attachment.

I have never shot a game animal with a scope set higher than 6x.

This.

Honestly, a 1-6x scope for a safari rifle is about the ultimate in functionality. 6x was enough for me to take every animal on the past 8 safaris. That included one desperation shot (the only shot that could be found on a prepaid quota) of a bushbuck at 345 yards. Even in areas with sparse cover, the two longest shots I can recall were a hyena at about 260 yards and an impala at around 225-230.

When this discussion comes up, the exceptional case always gets warped into the normative case. I'm sure someone will explain that 700 yard shot on the kalahari or the 1300 yard shot across mountains for a Wapiti in Montana, but 99.99% of shots that occur, 6x is beyond overkill.

It almost is a completely moot point now because Swaro, Leica, Kahles, and Schmidt & Bender all have upgraded their 1-6x rifle scopes to now be 1-8x.

Average shot distance in the Boddington survey of professionals in Africa revealed the average distance was 38 yards. That was average, folding in a few of those exceptional situations with the 300-400 yard shots in with the all too frequent 12-yard shots.

Trybe is Opticsplanet private brand, so figure they are making 60 points on this. That still makes it a $100 landed optic for something that's essentially 1/3 of a scope, and less than 1/2 the glass. Not exactly cheap if they are in fact using decent glass and a reputable factory with quality components.

Nothing new though, Swaro has one for binos as well as Vortex. The military as well as civilians have been using thermal and NV 1x clip on devices for years. If you use it for a realistic application and test it, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Realistic also assuming you factor in its glass quality vs. Your scopes.

OP allows you to return any optics if not mounted. If you really like it, buy it and test it hand held. Judge the glass quality vs the scope you're considering using it on. If you can, carefully install it without leaving marks. Worst case, should it absolutely fail when tested, return it as defective.

We all like to say what we use, and some even chastise others choices, but hunting equipment is 100% personal preference as long as it meets local legal requirements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois