Opinions wanted

Carson

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
We are finishing our basement and this picture below is a sketch of my idea for a wall that will separate the main family area from my office. The bookcases on each side of the fireplace will be stained wood Murphy doors and the fireplace will be a gas double sided one. Here are my questions...

1. We are planning on painting the fireplace shiplap black. Will that look funny with the cape buffalo since they are both black? I plan on putting some track lighting above too.

2. How far out from the wall horizontally will the average cape buffalo be? (I don't have the buffalo yet).

3. The other side will be my office and I'm planning on putting a shoulder mount kudu over there. The ceilings are 9 feet. Will a kudu shoulder mount be too tall for that space (since it would be above the mantle)?

Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

IMG_20211125_143550000.jpg

If it were me, I'd want something for contrast - either a different color for the fireplace or possibly something between the buff and fireplace, perhaps a tasteful panel or (my preference) a well done wall habitat that accentuates the buff. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but a buff on a black surface, as you have shared... I think it's going to take away from the buff unnecessarily. My two cents.

Depending on your buffalo mount plan on it being about 4' x 4'x 4'.

Agree on the size. I would not go black on black. Reinforce the wall where the buff will hang.

Definitely not black. I'll admit I am a bit over shiplap as well (with apologies to Chip and Joanna). Why not nice hardwood paneling that matches the stain on the bookcases? Everything would tie together, and it would give that wall a classic look. The buffalo would look great on it.

@Carson . I have seen Red Leg's design and taste in his trophy room. It is impeccable. Take his advice if possible.

Thanks for the advice. I think you are all correct about the black on black not working. I like the idea about the wood paneling on the fireplace, but not sure i'll be able to match the book case stain perfectly. I'm leaning towards a green like this maybe for the fireplace:
Screenshot_20211125-181601~2.png

I may still do the nice wood wall paneling in my office on an adjacent wall.

I just had another thought... I was just reading about the size of cape buffalo shoulder mounts. Am I going to be able to get the thing into my basement? Stairwell width is 39 inches and one doorway is 31 inches wide.

Thanks for the advice. I think you are all correct about the black on black not working. I like the idea about the wood paneling on the fireplace, but not sure i'll be able to match the book case stain perfectly. I'm leaning towards a green like this maybe for the fireplace:View attachment 438467

I may still do the nice wood wall paneling in my office on an adjacent wall.
I like that. Simply do the shelves in the same color. That said, on that color, a huge kudu or red stag Euro would look awesome.

@Carson , you also asked about measurements: I don't have a cape buffalo, yet, so can't give you actual measurements. However, a 9 ft ceiling isn't all that tall (but better than an 8 ft ceiling). Looking at your drawing, I'd say your scale on a few details is a bit off.

You are depicting the cape buffalo shoulder mount to be slightly over 2 ft (top to bottom) in your sketch. I'd say it's probably more like 3 to 4 ft. It will also stick out from the wall a similar amount.

The top of the fireplace is at 2.5 ft and the mantel is at 4 ft. Seems sort of low. A mantel at 5 ft would look better and still give you 4 ft of space above to hang your buff.

I can measure my kudu on the wall and give you some actual measurements, but with a 9 ft ceiling, I would guess with the horns right up against the ceiling, the lower part of the mount will be at about 5 ft.

1637893150242.png

@375 Ruger Fan you make a good point about the dimensions. I think I way under estimated the size of the cape buffalo. I think the cape buffalo may need to stay on the ground floor. We have 20 foot ceilings there. My wife is coming around to the idea of that area being covered with taxidermy.

Point of clarification: I am laughing at that last sentence. You sir are either a fisherman (exaggerating/fibbing) or an exceptional salesman.

@Tundra Tiger , , the part about my wife coming around to it? When I told her I didn't think we could get the buffalo down the stairs she relented that we could put it on the ground floor. I really do want it down there by my office though if I can since I will be spending lots of time down there.

I'm thinking about doing no mantles on the fireplace, that gives me more vertical room to mount the buffalo and kudu. Also wondering if a taxidermist can make the horns removable on a buffalo mount for getting it through doors.

I measured my buf shoulder mount. His horns are 36" wide, he's 38" tall and comes out from the wall 47". My kudu shoulder mount is 57" tall overall. His horns are 25" straight up from the top of his head and he comes out 41" from the wall. These are not exceptionally large animals but will give you rough dimensions. 9' ceilings are going to put a good sized kudu pretty close to eye level ( 5-7'). I have 10' ceilings and my kudu's nose is about 8' from the floor. Have you considered a pedestal mount?
You are going to have fun getting a buf through a 31" door if he'll fit at all. Better have some strong friends, those things are heavy. Better yet, have the taxidermist crew handle him.
Hope this helps.

I measured my buf shoulder mount. His horns are 36" wide, he's 38" tall and comes out from the wall 47". My kudu shoulder mount is 57" tall overall. His horns are 25" straight up from the top of his head and he comes out 41" from the wall. These are not exceptionally large animals but will give you rough dimensions. 9' ceilings are going to put a good sized kudu pretty close to eye level ( 5-7'). I have 10' ceilings and my kudu's nose is about 8' from the floor. Have you considered a pedestal mount?
You are going to have fun getting a buf through a 31" door if he'll fit at all. Better have some strong friends, those things are heavy. Better yet, have the taxidermist crew handle him.
Hope this helps.
Horns can come off and the taxidermist can reinstall.

20' ceilings on the ground floor. Fill the walls with taxidermy, why hide it away in the basement.
I have 12" ceiling s in an older style home.

I like your general idea for the look of the mount over your fireplace. You need to consider what a heat source will do to your mount over time, especially a buffalo mount with the putty replacing the boss. It will shrink and crack. Read the manual from your fireplace - they will have a formula about how close something can be in relation to how far from the wall it sticks out. A mantle gives some protection to the things above it. Good luck!

Just a suggestion, go to a taxidermist studio and take the measurements of a shoulder mount if they have one. Forms are pretty much standard and if you know the width of your buffalo, it should give you a pretty good idea of the room that you will need. Thats what I did.

I wanted to mount my buffalo over the fireplace. I have a 9’ ceiling and it is exactly 3’ from the top of the mantle to the ceiling. Unfortunately the buff mount was exactly 3’ high and could not lift the mount to hook over a lag bolt.
From the back to tip of the nose is 48”.
Color of wall: Not black. A lighter natural color will make the mount stand out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,