Opinions wanted

Carson

Reaction score
We are finishing our basement and this picture below is a sketch of my idea for a wall that will separate the main family area from my office. The bookcases on each side of the fireplace will be stained wood Murphy doors and the fireplace will be a gas double sided one. Here are my questions...

1. We are planning on painting the fireplace shiplap black. Will that look funny with the cape buffalo since they are both black? I plan on putting some track lighting above too.

2. How far out from the wall horizontally will the average cape buffalo be? (I don't have the buffalo yet).

3. The other side will be my office and I'm planning on putting a shoulder mount kudu over there. The ceilings are 9 feet. Will a kudu shoulder mount be too tall for that space (since it would be above the mantle)?

Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

IMG_20211125_143550000.jpg

Tundra Tiger

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
If it were me, I'd want something for contrast - either a different color for the fireplace or possibly something between the buff and fireplace, perhaps a tasteful panel or (my preference) a well done wall habitat that accentuates the buff. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but a buff on a black surface, as you have shared... I think it's going to take away from the buff unnecessarily. My two cents.

cls

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Depending on your buffalo mount plan on it being about 4' x 4'x 4'.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Agree on the size. I would not go black on black. Reinforce the wall where the buff will hang.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Definitely not black. I'll admit I am a bit over shiplap as well (with apologies to Chip and Joanna). Why not nice hardwood paneling that matches the stain on the bookcases? Everything would tie together, and it would give that wall a classic look. The buffalo would look great on it.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
@Carson . I have seen Red Leg's design and taste in his trophy room. It is impeccable. Take his advice if possible.

Carson

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think you are all correct about the black on black not working. I like the idea about the wood paneling on the fireplace, but not sure i'll be able to match the book case stain perfectly. I'm leaning towards a green like this maybe for the fireplace:
Screenshot_20211125-181601~2.png

I may still do the nice wood wall paneling in my office on an adjacent wall.

Carson

Reaction score
I just had another thought... I was just reading about the size of cape buffalo shoulder mounts. Am I going to be able to get the thing into my basement? Stairwell width is 39 inches and one doorway is 31 inches wide.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Thanks for the advice. I think you are all correct about the black on black not working. I like the idea about the wood paneling on the fireplace, but not sure i'll be able to match the book case stain perfectly. I'm leaning towards a green like this maybe for the fireplace:View attachment 438467

I may still do the nice wood wall paneling in my office on an adjacent wall.
I like that. Simply do the shelves in the same color. That said, on that color, a huge kudu or red stag Euro would look awesome.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
@Carson , you also asked about measurements: I don't have a cape buffalo, yet, so can't give you actual measurements. However, a 9 ft ceiling isn't all that tall (but better than an 8 ft ceiling). Looking at your drawing, I'd say your scale on a few details is a bit off.

You are depicting the cape buffalo shoulder mount to be slightly over 2 ft (top to bottom) in your sketch. I'd say it's probably more like 3 to 4 ft. It will also stick out from the wall a similar amount.

The top of the fireplace is at 2.5 ft and the mantel is at 4 ft. Seems sort of low. A mantel at 5 ft would look better and still give you 4 ft of space above to hang your buff.

I can measure my kudu on the wall and give you some actual measurements, but with a 9 ft ceiling, I would guess with the horns right up against the ceiling, the lower part of the mount will be at about 5 ft.

1637893150242.png

Tundra Tiger

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
Point of clarification: I am laughing at that last sentence. You sir are either a fisherman (exaggerating/fibbing) or an exceptional salesman.

Carson

Reaction score
@Tundra Tiger , , the part about my wife coming around to it? When I told her I didn't think we could get the buffalo down the stairs she relented that we could put it on the ground floor. I really do want it down there by my office though if I can since I will be spending lots of time down there.

I'm thinking about doing no mantles on the fireplace, that gives me more vertical room to mount the buffalo and kudu. Also wondering if a taxidermist can make the horns removable on a buffalo mount for getting it through doors.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I measured my buf shoulder mount. His horns are 36" wide, he's 38" tall and comes out from the wall 47". My kudu shoulder mount is 57" tall overall. His horns are 25" straight up from the top of his head and he comes out 41" from the wall. These are not exceptionally large animals but will give you rough dimensions. 9' ceilings are going to put a good sized kudu pretty close to eye level ( 5-7'). I have 10' ceilings and my kudu's nose is about 8' from the floor. Have you considered a pedestal mount?
You are going to have fun getting a buf through a 31" door if he'll fit at all. Better have some strong friends, those things are heavy. Better yet, have the taxidermist crew handle him.
Hope this helps.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I measured my buf shoulder mount. His horns are 36" wide, he's 38" tall and comes out from the wall 47". My kudu shoulder mount is 57" tall overall. His horns are 25" straight up from the top of his head and he comes out 41" from the wall. These are not exceptionally large animals but will give you rough dimensions. 9' ceilings are going to put a good sized kudu pretty close to eye level ( 5-7'). I have 10' ceilings and my kudu's nose is about 8' from the floor. Have you considered a pedestal mount?
You are going to have fun getting a buf through a 31" door if he'll fit at all. Better have some strong friends, those things are heavy. Better yet, have the taxidermist crew handle him.
Hope this helps.
Horns can come off and the taxidermist can reinstall.

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
20' ceilings on the ground floor. Fill the walls with taxidermy, why hide it away in the basement.
I have 12" ceiling s in an older style home.

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Cameroon, Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
I like your general idea for the look of the mount over your fireplace. You need to consider what a heat source will do to your mount over time, especially a buffalo mount with the putty replacing the boss. It will shrink and crack. Read the manual from your fireplace - they will have a formula about how close something can be in relation to how far from the wall it sticks out. A mantle gives some protection to the things above it. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tesstlaese

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

trstallone wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
I've Hunted So.Africa, love to try Romania
Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?