Opinions on the Bergara B-14 HMR "6.5 Creedmoor"

Tanner Lee

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
South Africa (North West, Orange Free State, Northern Cape), USA (Utah, Wyoming)
I have been looking for a good hunting rifle to go with my German Precision Optics Passion 3x 4-12x 42 scope. I know that I am doing this backwards getting the scope before the gun but long story short. I got the scope for getting my antelope hunt into Eastman's Hunting magazine a few years back.

Anyways....

I have finally found a rifle I am interesting in and that is the Bergara B-14. It has a 24" free floating barrel, it weights 9.25 ibs. It seems like a good rifle to pair with the 6.5 Creedmoor round, since it is a long range round and the rifle is set up for that.

I just wanted to ask the opinions of anyone who has owned one or has had the opportunity to shoot or look at one. I have seen very good reviews on the rifle all over and very minor complaints but nothing major.

I guess I will leave it there, looking forward to hearing from you all.

All that matters at the end of the day is if you are happy with it or not. While the 6.5 is by far not my favorite caliber, that is personal preference and it is definitely capable of taking an antelope. I have shot a few Bergara rifles and the ones I have shot have been very accurate. One thing I look at with the rifles are practicality for my situation and without knowing how you hunt I cannot comment on that. I do a lot of walking through hills and traveling while hunting so the lighter the better when it comes to weight. The 6.5 is a very light recoiling rifle and one coming in over 9lbs would be our of the question for me but if you don’t do a lot of walking and weight doesn’t matter as much to you then I think it will treat you well. I have shot and seen them present very good groups at 600 plus yards. In the end you will have to decide if the rifle fits what you are looking for in a hunting rifle...for me hunting in the hills I would opt for a much lighter option but that is just personal opinion

@Tanner Lee

My club owns b-14, HMR in 308 win, since recently.
I tested as much as was conveniently possible for me, with various HPBT factory ammo 168 grain, as well as bulk FMJ 180 grain.
All in all, about 4 different types of ammo. Had maybe 200 shots through it.

My impressions:
LOP in factory HMR rifle is too short for me, especially from prone ,I am 6'4'' tall. But it can be adjusted with spacers as necessary
Accuracy is between 1/2 (maybe lucky group) to 1 moa with all available ammo that I have tried. But in all reality I would expect averaging 3/4 moa accuracy with quality factory HPBT ammo. 1 moa, or a bit over with bulk fmj.

It was fitted with vortex viper 24x scope.
For scope mounting, it is drilled and tapped as per Remington 700 specs, you will easily find scope mounts, rails etc

All in all, I have no objections.
Thats technical part

2nd opinion:
Opposite opinion is from my gunsmith - he said, I qoute "its a junk dont buy that" - but in all reality he never explained why it is supposed to be junk. He might be somewhat emotional guy, after he bought something else for himself..

My perosnal view on usage of this rifle:

1. HMR For hunting
- this rifle is not for me and for my hunting, because I dont do long range hunting, and for classic hunt at "boring and dull" ranges less then <200 mtrs, I prefer classic ergonomic and traditional stock configuration.

2. HMR For target shooting. Generally OK, for recreational target shooting - but in similar price range HMR can be compared with Tikka T3x (tac, varmint, ctr), and maybe Sabatti Rover longe range series of rifles with thick barrels and MRR rifling... well in that light, my choice would go towards Sabatti in some of configurations. (Sabatti rover tactical 308 win, I tested as well, and tikka t3 tac, I own... so thus the comparison)

3. HMR as dual purpose rifle, as the name implies: HMR - hunting match rifle.
It might just fit the bill, if this was original intention of yours.

Last edited:
My shooting buddy has a HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and I have one in 7REM MAG. They are very accurate straight out of the box. They are a bit heavier than say a traditional wood stocked rifles it is a hybrid of match and hunting. It has all the adjust ability you would need make it fit you correctly.

It doesn't have the clean lines of a traditional hunting rifle. If you have no problem with the looks it will make a fine hunting rifle.

I see no problem with having good glass and them finding a rifle to sit under it.

I know nothing about the rifle, but the caliber will absolutely do exactly what the 6.5x54, 6.5x55, and 6.5x57 have been doing for a century. ;)

I have two Bergara rifles, one from there standard line and one from there premier line. Both shoot fantastic and are quality rifles, although I would probably choose a Tikka over the standard B-14, I still think you will be happy.

As for the 6.5 CM, it is a fantastic round, I shoot 1000s of arounds a year of it and love it. Don't listen to the get off my lawn crowd, it is wildly popular for a reason.

I know nothing about the rifle, but the caliber will absolutely do exactly what the 6.5x54, 6.5x55, and 6.5x57 have been doing for a century. ;)

Agreed, nothing wrong with the Creedmore but it has brought nothing new to the shooting world other than high quality factory ammo. To me a 9.25# rifle in 6.5 is much more of a target rifle than a hunting rifle. But then, I have no interest in extreme range shooting of game animals.

Bergara makes an exceptionally accurate rifle. If I were you I’d go with a lighter model in 6.5 or a heavier caliber in the 9.25# rifle, perhaps .300 WM?

I have one. Think Bergaras are a great value gun. Began as a barrel company which, to me, is a great foundation for supporting their own guns. Their 6.5s are sub MOA and, in my experience, love ELD-X ammo. Good luck.

p.s. - if you can stretch on price a bit, the Christensen MPR is also a fantastic tool, considerably lighter if you intend to pack it around and also makes a very nice and configurable bench gun.

Used a Bergara HMR Pro in 6.5CM in long range (1000 yard) shooting class, used 147 gr Match ammo by Hornady and was very happy with the results. Have several other Bergara rifles and have been pleased with all.

I don’t own one but my friend does. He doesn’t hunt but just shoots 200 yd targets with it. It shoots so well, I plan on acquiring one to use in the same manner.
It wouldn’t be my first choice for a hunting rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I own a HMR in 308, haven’t been able to shoot more than a few rounds through it, as I got it only just before COVID lockdowns. Bought it for 900€ or thereabouts.

So I can’t say much on the precision, but I can say the following: for hunting I would only use it if I’ll be sitting the entire day in a blind. It is just too heavy for stalking and long hikes.

The 308 also has a much shorter barrel than the 6.5, so more easily to move it in confined spaces like in a blind.

Build quality and attention to detail is much higher than for other rifles in its price range (to my limited research)

Action is silky smooth, accepts AICS magazines (not proprietary).

Overall im quite happy, but it is more of a target gun on the range or perhaps for some boar and roe deer from a ‘kansel’ (=blind) later this year. Wouldn’t take it on a stalk.

I have an HMR Pro in 6.5 and it’s an absolute tack driver:

Image1612021717.075052.jpg

This is the norm with that rifle/Ammo. I’ll never sell it.

I have shot close to 50 different Bergara standard/Pro rifles and I have zero doubt they are some of the best for the buck. Get one, you’ll be glad you did!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you