Opinions On SxS Shotgun Brands

Agreed. I've owned many model 21s and a few fox and parkers. Not even close.

America was a backwater town and the goal was to make a durable tool knowing no gunsmith could be found for a 1000 miles. So the guns are heavy and crude, no better example than John Olin's 21.

Meanwhile the Brits were making guns that adhered to Greener's rule of 96 where you'd find 20 gauges at 5.5lbs.

So yeah, 5.5lb 20 bore beats 7lb machine made model 21 in same gauge every day.

I've had them all. There's a reason why British guns are the most expensive scatterguns in the world...they are priced correctly!

All kidding aside, a used and no longer collector British boxlock is the best value in bird guns. Balance, quality, finish. Sublime.

I bought a W.W Greener SXS Empire grade shot gun to use as an action to build a .450 nr 2 Eley ...but since I shot it I have never missed a clay at competitions..now I will keep it and look for a CZ side x side as a donor action for my double rifle build...(y)

Hi Gert. I only know a little about the Greener guns, but it is nearly all good. You are probably making the best decision by keeping it as a shotgun!

Agreed. I've owned many model 21s and a few fox and parkers. Not even close.

America was a backwater town and the goal was to make a durable tool knowing no gunsmith could be found for a 1000 miles. So the guns are heavy and crude, no better example than John Olin's 21.

Meanwhile the Brits were making guns that adhered to Greener's rule of 96 where you'd find 20 gauges at 5.5lbs.

So yeah, 5.5lb 20 bore beats 7lb machine made model 21 in same gauge every day.

I've had them all. There's a reason why British guns are the most expensive scatterguns in the world...they are priced correctly!

All kidding aside, a used and no longer collector British boxlock is the best value in bird guns. Balance, quality, finish. Sublime.
Bought my first two days ago. Now will start my learning curve around January or so!

Sierraone, it definitely is the best decision I have made..the W.W Greener Empire model/grade is the strongest action available to build a double rifle on...fortunately , the CZ sxs 12 ga has all the safety features a W.W Greener have...(y)

You can still buy a Greener shotgun...but they are crazy expensive. I don't know if they still make Double Rifles on Greener actions or not...

I have gone back and forth on the idea of commissioning a shotgun and what it would be...as well as who would build it. Not a Boss...but possibly a WR droplock.

I'm going to have to decide before I get much older, whether I want a proper double rifle or a proper shotgun as I likely won't be buying both. I am thinking my Beretta shotgun is good enough and a WR double rifle would be great...but then how much do you really shoot a DR vs a shotgun.

Gentlemen, thank you.
I have been debating buying a good SXS shotgun for quite sometime, even considering the "steel-shot-proofed" line; that, I suspect, is stupid.
The knowledge and experience you have imparted in these posts is enlightening. I just wish I could make (one of) the upcoming Shows, so that I could bring a bottle of Limeburners Infinity Solera cask single malt whisky with me, so that we could sit and commune on great shotguns... (The Limeburners is Aussie made; 2017 International whisky of the year). Retails over here for about US$100.00. I have a spare in the cupboard....

I have shot alot of SXS's at Vintager events. Hard to go wrong with either AYA or Merkel. If the fit is slightly off a GOOD gunsmith can bend the stock or lengthen or shorten it. We just started selling Merkel in the past 2 years and love the guns...

I did not see a vote for the Parker or Parker reproductions, so I recommend them.
I grew up shooting a circa 1900 Parker 20 on a 28n gauge frame which I still have and shoot annually for old time sake. It was and still is the fastest handling shotgun ever for me.

I did try other guns, but when my wife gave me a Parker Repro Steel Shot Special 12 ga for an anniversary present, I went back to doubles only and have never regretted it. A few years later, I added a repro 20 ga and those are the only shotguns that I have used for skeet, sporting clays, and bird hunting for over 30 years.

Though it may sound like I am stuck in a rut, I see no reason to change something that works so well for me.

Good luck with your shopping.

I personally only shoot sxs double trigger English grip shotguns as they are my preference. I currently own an aya no2 in 20 gauge and it has been great to me, although I mostly use it in the early season as it's choked 0.005 and 0.007. I also own 4 merkels as well, two of them being 20 gauges, one a 12 gauge and one a double rifle. They are very strong actions and the only problem ever encountered with them was the 12 gauge would not retract a firing pin after shooting, otherwise good guns but the fit is definately different from the aya and does take a bit of adjusting when switching between them. I can also attest to Digorry Hadoke's books, I have read all 3 of his books and they are very well written and a great source of knowledge for double gunners, they also explain things in simple terms for newbies like myself to fully grasp. I have also become very interested in owning a fine English gun in the last few years but I think it may have to wait for another few as it's alot easier to sell a safari to the wife where she can come along than another gun in the safe.

I recommend that you read Gough Thomas Garwoods books before finalizing a decision. IMO the greatest authority on English game guns to ever pick up a pen. I would also invest in a lesson and a fitting (in that order). Technique impacts fit. A trip across the pond would be well worth the expense. The availability of sound game guns at reasonable cost in the UK is surprising. Bob Battaglia at Park Street Guns in St Albans would be a great place to start. The H&H LONDON shooting grounds would make quick work of the lesson and fitting.

IMO this is and has been one of the best threads on this forum for three years now. Always learning something new about classic European and English double guns. Just a fun, entertaining thread!

The Garbi is a good choice. One of the lesser known Spanish makers, but good quality.

Congratulations.

...The availability of sound game guns at reasonable cost in the UK is surprising.

True. I have bought a couple of SxS shotguns from UK dealers sight unseen. A "between the wars" Henry Atkin SLE 12 ga. self opener and a Jos, Harkom BLE 16 ga. There were no disappointments.

The lower prices for SxS guns in the UK reflects both a 'Brexit' discount in FX and waning demand in quality SxS guns IN THE UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross