Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hey guys, I would like opinions on my up coming taxidermy specifically on my buffalo. There’s a current thread entitled unusual buffalo mount here. I am definitely positioning my buff like the one pictured in the thread on the left side. “ hard left turn” on an open pedestal. I’ve asked @gizmo his opinion as he is my taxidermist on the project, he of course will do anything I want and his opinion was closed mouth. Spoke with Marius of KMG who I hunted the buff with and asked his opinion. He felt when a buffalo looks at you and is trying to determine what you are the mouth is slightly open. I know it’s a matter of taste and to be honest I like the slightly open mouth , but what I’m trying to determine is it correct?, in the field. I’d love to hear from other PH’s on this. Thanks.

Im a slightly open fan... I think it give some emotion to a really large mount

FYI, when mine was looking at us, his head was up, mouth slightly open and nostrils flaring as he was trying to scent us. Then he turned to check out his buddies who were leaving. I pulled the trigger. This was maybe 30-35 yards in the sunshine and clear as it could be.

I vote for slightly open

DSCN9298_zpsewrvbeda.jpg

DSCN9301%201_zpswdjhlyyz.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN9301%201_zpswdjhlyyz.jpg
    DSCN9301%201_zpswdjhlyyz.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCN9298_zpsewrvbeda.jpg
    DSCN9298_zpsewrvbeda.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 332
Last edited by a moderator:
The bull on the right has his mouth slightly open.

full-1.jpg

Flehmen
full.jpg

Slightly open gives him a meaner look.

I’m really starting to lean towards mouth open slightly.

I know this is strictly a matter of taste on this mount. Erick as mentioned will do any to make me happy ( man don't know what he got him self into! LOL). We talked for nearly half an hour last night about this. His fear is I won't like it once I see it...I have to make a decision in the next several days...

Hi John,
If your still on the fence about open or closed, play it safe and do closed.
Unless you really want some attitude and show the teeth, slight open may be to subtel to even matter.

I know this is strictly a matter of taste on this mount. Erick as mentioned will do any to make me happy ( man don't know what he got him self into! LOL). We talked for nearly half an hour last night about this. His fear is I won't like it once I see it...I have to make a decision in the next several days...
GAts
Hi John,
If your still on the fence about open or closed, play it safe and do closed.
Unless you really want some attitude and show the teeth, slight open may be to subtel to even matter.
. That’s my point Roger , I want the attitude. Do you feel that can’t be accomplished by open mouth?

I’m digging this thread..... but man, not the teeth. I want one... bad. Don’t know if I can deal with the teeth. Sorry (ocd moment). @gizmo @johnnyblues what day you?

I’m digging this thread..... but man, not the teeth. I want one... bad. Don’t know if I can deal with the teeth. Sorry (ocd moment). @gizmo @johnnyblues what day you?
Imma do what Johnny wants. It’s his buff and his vision I’m merely the vessel.

The teeth!!!! Reminds me of feeding Rosebud, one of our cows, loaves of white bread as a child. Always her teeth..... sorry.... the teeth. OCD moment. Can’t do the teeth.

The teeth!!!! Reminds me of feeding Rosebud, one of our cows, loaves of white bread as a child. Always her teeth..... sorry.... the teeth. OCD moment. Can’t do the teeth.
Lol. I know this is a tough choice. Spoke with Roger Heintzman who is also a taxidermist an actually was in camp with me during my hunt felt if you open the mouth slightly at the jaw line and bring the upper eye lids down a bit that “gritty “ look can come thru. Gritty is the perfect word. Now comparing my buffalo to Rosebud the cow really give me some thought. Aghhhh. Besides I wouldn't recommend feeding bread to a cape buffalo! You may get a different reaction! LOL

Last edited:
One more thing I'd like to add. Erick has been absolutely great to deal with so far. His passion and desire to make the client happy is something I haven't seen from a taxidermist in a very long time...Maybe never like this to be honest. In the end Iam sure the finished products will show just who he is.

Ok open mouth is my choice. And don't anyone call my buff Rosebud!

Ok open mouth is my choice. And don't anyone call my buff Rosebud!
Johnny your going to get the absolute best teeth baring buff in the history of the world but...... The Rosebud thing has kinda stuck. Sorry:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Johnny your going to get the absolute best teeth baring buff in the history of the world but...... The Rosebud thing has kinda stuck. Sorry:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I used to like you! :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber