Opinions on flight path to Zimbabwe

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
We are just about to book our plane tickets for next July. I have spoke with my hunt booking agent and she recommended Qatar Airlines. We had been hoping to do business class but the recent hike in gas prices has sent the plane tickets through the roof.
My main question is about departure airport here in the states. I live in KY and I plan to drive to the airport that we will be leaving the country from in order to avoid delayed flights/lost baggage and all that stuff as much as possible. Looks like my options are Chicago which is 5hr drive, Atlanta, 7 hr, Dallas 9hr.
Chicago would seem the obvious choice but I wasn't sure about dealing with transporting and checking guns in Illinois. They are weird about that stuff. Is there any airports here in the states that you guys prefer for arriving and departing with a weapon? Or any other input you may have about flying from the states to Harare?

I can't help much but I would stay as far away from Chicago as I could.

On the lost luggage with the trackers that you can use anymore you can pretty much see just where your luggage is as it moves through the system. But I used Qutar's tracking system last month and I had no idea of where my bags were until we were already in the air.

I personally have zero problems with connecting flights as long as you can check your baggage through all the way. I did this from Denver on American Airlines who then transferred my rifle case and checked bag to Qutar in Dallas. But Qutar in Dallas was a mess with having to submit the firearm surrender paperwork.

No matter what airline that I travel on for hunting I just figure that if my rifle and ammo doesn't show up I'll just use one of the outfitters rifles.

I'd go with whichever airport has the safest long term parking. No need to worry about guns in IL as Federal transportation laws apply.

On the parking I thi k we will overnight at a hotel the night before and leave the vehicle there. Unless we fly out of Nashville, I have some family down there we can leave the car with

You'll be fine in Chicago. Keep them cased and locked and you're good to go. That's coming from a couple of PD's in the area as well. I took them into the hotel with me the night before which I checked with about firearms prior to booking, and had a conversation about Africa with my shuttle driver in the morning. I was his second gun toting Africa bound shuttle passenger that week. United was easy peasy as well. They just ran the case through a scanner and I was onto my gate. I left my vehicle at the hotel.

Also I noticed the return flight stops in Joberg. That will be a problem if you have to pick up luggage there. We should not though. It looks like it is just a 2 or 3 hour layover then on to Kuwait. The trip over shows straight from Chicago to Doha then Harare.

After a little further digging, it is basically the same distance to Atlanta as it is Chicago from where I'm at. Probably go with Atlanta

I’m from Ohio and if / when I go back, I’d either drive or fly to Atlanta and overnight there. Then hit the airport four hours early.

Which airport in Zim do you need to be?

Yep, I think that is going to be the plan. Do you recommend leaving your car at the hotel and taking the shuttle or parking in the economy parking at the airport?

There is a neat little tool where you can search online for best flights etc. I will PM you. That said if you fligh from Chicago with Ethiopian airlines you will have a stop in Addis Ababa. I heard Ethiopian is quite good.

I will be booking flights for 2023 Zim as well soon. I am hoping to go from jfk to Dubai the Harare.

I would not have been able to drive any distance when I got back from RSA last summer (JNB-Doha-DFW-ABQ). Jetlag after 34 or so hours of travel, along with failure to sleep well was a killer. Just sayin'...

Reactions: CJW
Arriving and departing Chicago is not a problem. Transferring in Chicago from Domestic to International is a problem, and that's without guns. I would recommend that you look at google flights and see which city is the cheapest to depart from. I regularly drive to Austin, Houston and Dallas if the international flight is cheaper from my home city. I don't like to make domestic transfers, but sometimes you just can't get around the price difference.

Reactions: RTG
I would not have been able to drive any distance when I got back from RSA last summer (JNB-Doha-DFW-ABQ). Jetlag after 34 or so hours of travel, along with failure to sleep well was a killer. Just sayin'...

I was the same way. 4.5 hour daytime drive was almost too much. Next time I'll book a night at the hotel for the return.

I just did Atlanta to Joburg to Bulawayo. Going had to overnight at the airport hotel in Joburg, which was fine. Would take that route again.

Arriving and departing Chicago is not a problem. Transferring in Chicago from Domestic to International is a problem, and that's without guns. I would recommend that you look at google flights and see which city is the cheapest to depart from. I regularly drive to Austin, Houston and Dallas if the international flight is cheaper from my home city. I don't like to make domestic transfers, but sometimes you just can't get around the price difference.
Agreed. Chicago airport is awful. Avoid at all costs.

Emirates and Qatar are both great airlines. Each has their own additional paperwork for transporting guns. Since you’re using a travel agent you should have no trouble at all with your guns. The agent will walk you through the steps and process the airline paperwork for you. I personally have avoided O’Hare because of Illinois gun phobia. Since you’d need to drive across the Peoples Republic of Illinois I’d really be hesitant. Actually, you’d have no worries until you cross into Cook County and then you might as well be toting guns through Manhattan! I think you made a good choice with Atlanta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you