Opinions on 460 wby loads

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
You have all seen several different posts from me on my quest to find a rifle and load that suits me for my upcoming hunt. I believe we have arrived at the rifle, which is the weatherby 460. I just made a trade on a second one since my first didn't have Iron sights, which I am gonna have installed but I wanted a second rifle for spare parts and just because it has a synthetic stock, and in this particular deal I picked up a newer model mark v with iron sights and a bunch of factory ammo. I now have FL and neck sizing dies, 120pc of brass and approx 120 factory rounds. Two complete rifles and a spare stock. One rifle with Pendleton dekicker and one rifle with removeable accubrake.
Anyway on to the point here. The reason I like the 460 so much is its versatility. I have hand loads that will run a 300gr barnes at 3150fps and absolutely stack them at 100yds, factory ammo with 450gr barnes at 2600fps, handloads with 500gr woodleigh and swift A frames at 2450. I bought some woodleigh hydro solids for the elephant, haven't worked on them yet.
The 300gr will make a sweet plains game load although if a 300gr 375 will kill a buffalo at 2550fps wouldn't a 300gr 458 do it at 3150fps? I see no need to drive a 500gr bullet at 2600fps and I probably won't run the factory ammo on the hunt, unless it's really accurate. What combination of bullet and speed would you recommend to be the most versatile for a do it all .458 diameter load? The 500gr at 2450 is quite manageable and I think would be a good choice but I'm curious about a lighter bullet with more hydrostatic shock. A 300 or 350 gr Barnes at +/-3000fps has got to produce some serious damage and with it being a solid copper should hold together. A 450gr in the 2550-2600fps? Or load it all the way down and shoot the traditional Lott/win mag 2200-2250 fps with a 500gr.
In my opinion that is one of the real beauties of this cartridge. Along with the single stack feeding and the 60° bolt throw which is fast and so far has produced no malfunctions. We shall see because its gonna get plenty more range time. I plan to run some drills tomorrow as a matter of fact.

I would say that unlike many/most owners of a .460 Weatherby, you have thoroughly investigated the potential vast array of potential handloads available for different hunting scenarios. The 60 degree bolt throw is very nice as I enjoy the same with my Browning A Bolt. Don't let the naysayers sway you. Shoot on and be happy!

I would say that unlike many/most owners of a .460 Weatherby, you have thoroughly investigated the potential vast array of potential handloads available for different hunting scenarios. The 60 degree bolt throw is very nice as I enjoy the same with my Browning A Bolt. Don't let the naysayers sway you. Shoot on and be happy!
Indeed. I believe a lot of the bad press the 460 has gotten in the past is from guys purchasing one of these because it was the "most powerful sporting cartridge" and then just showing to hunt. Make no mistake this rifle requires a lot of practice and especially with full house loads. It is not be taken lightly. The functionality issues and stuck cases I have read about have not manifested themselves yet and I believe may have been due to some overly aggressive factory loads trying to get that 2700fps and possibly issues with temp sensitive powders of that era.

Indeed. I believe a lot of the bad press the 460 has gotten in the past is from guys purchasing one of these because it was the "most powerful sporting cartridge" and then just showing to hunt. Make no mistake this rifle requires a lot of practice and especially with full house loads. It is not be taken lightly. The functionality issues and stuck cases I have read about have not manifested themselves yet and I believe may have been due to some overly aggressive factory loads trying to get that 2700fps and possibly issues with temp sensitive powders of that era.
Let's face the reality of .375 and up, or at least .416 and up cartridges. .30-06 owners buy them because they're different/cool and are told that's what they need for ALL African game and after shooting a box or two or maybe less, the rifle is up for sale. They don't want to take the time to learn to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle and are on to the next best thing, which recently are the long range 6.5 somethings. They think they can bang away at a Kudu or an elk at 600 yards without ever leaving the trail they're on. It's all about an EASY hunting experience without getting their overpriced hunting clothes dirty.

A second.rifle for spare parts.....on a DG rifle.......man I like that plan.....
I will stick to my 500 Jeff on a BRNO ZKK602 action....only one.....

A second.rifle for spare parts.....on a DG rifle.......man I like that plan.....
I will stick to my 500 Jeff on a BRNO ZKK602 action....only one.....
Shit happens and I would rather have a back up on hand in case something happens. I mostly bought the other one because the first one I bought doesn't have any iron sights so instead of sending it off and then hoping I get it back in time I bought another one that does have Iron sights since that is primarily what I plan to hunt with. Now I can send the other rifle off to have sights installed and still have one at home to practice with. Also having an extra stock on hand in case one cracks is pretty handy.

I love the .460 Weatherby. Mine is getting a complete make over at the moment.
As to loading her up, I stuck with just one load which is the 500 grain Barnes TSX some AR2209 (H4350) for around 2550 fps. I have shot one cape buff, Nyala, and even a few baboons with it. Then here in Australia I have taken a water buffalo, several scrub bulls, pigs and feral goats. It worked wonderfully on all the animals. Even the small thin skinned critters.
Those Barnes TSX's have stood up to the speeds the .460 sends them out at. Most exited the opposite shoulder but I did find a few that lodged in the skin as well.

460 Weatherby is a versatile cartridge IF you can get custom loaded ammunition or handload your own. Factory Weatherby ammo is very limited in versatility they only load certain bullets and only at or near top velocity. It can be loaded down to 458 Win Mag or Lott velocities or loaded significantly faster than either of them if you so desire, or handle the extra heavy bullets 550 to 600 grain or the heavy monometal bullets while still achieving good velocities at less than max working pressures. I had a very nice 460 in a cz 550 action which to me was the perfect rifle for it, large strong crf action with a heavy strait comb stock design and held more rounds in the mag than the Weatherby MARK V(also a great action)
It does have its downsides as well. I'm not claiming its better than the win mag or lott just stating some of its positives. IMO a lot of folks dislike for the cartridge is actually for the weatherby factory ammo and rifles not the cartridge itself.

416 rigby is typically held in high regard(as it should be it's a great cartridge) and the rigby and weatherby cartridges are of similar design a lot of the difference is just due to how they're loaded.

I may look into having a custom build on a CZ action. That would be a nice set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieSchref

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,