Opinions on 30-06

I promised myself I would not get
Sucked into conversations about covid, bullet choice and Dennis Harris. . . That said, I find myself asking WHY switch? Tsx seems to have worked without err, so why the swap and why that specific bullet to switch to? Not going to offer any advise just wondering why if it isn’t broken you are trying to fix it-except that playing with bullets is tons of fun-

A truly great caliber.

I don't think that you can go wrong with it for plains game.

Good points OP. I generally care about range when hunting everywhere other than Africa. I haven’t yet hunted parts of Africa where long shots are likely. I like the energy transfer of round nose bullets. That said I‘ll check out the TGK bullets....as soon as I can find any for sale!

I promised myself I would not get
Sucked into conversations about covid, bullet choice and Dennis Harris. . . That said, I find myself asking WHY switch? Tsx seems to have worked without err, so why the swap and why that specific bullet to switch to? Not going to offer any advise just wondering why if it isn’t broken you are trying to fix it-except that playing with bullets is tons of fun-
Good question. The most truthful answer is that I am a tinkerer. Always looking for the optimal solution. The TSXs performed well enough. But I wonder if they expanded enough at the lower velocity of the ‘06. Plus, the Sierra round nose shoot really well In my rifle. I’m proud that my post sucked you into a bullet discussion. :Shamefullyembarrased:

I killed my first buck (blesbok) with a 30 06, that said i also hunted with the 6.5 Creedmoor, the much loved 303 (at least its much loved here in South Africa) and the 308.

In all honesty, aside from the 6.5 Creedmoor, i haven't truly noticed much difference in the recoil. I have however noticed the louder bang of the 30 06 over the over. Even with a suppressor its loud.

I hunt for meat, so meat damage is definitely a factor. In this regard the 30 06 has more meat damage then the both the 303 and 308. I won't mention the 6.5 as i believe that (at least in my generation and younger, 31 years old) men should stop complaining about the recoil of a 30 cal vs the 6.5 and man up. If you want to go hunting then there is no room for being "sensitive".

All this being said what are your opinions of the 30 06 over the 308 for hunting with regards to meat? Preferably leaving out the fanboy mentality as both calibers are amazing!!

I killed my first buck (blesbok) with a 30 06, that said i also hunted with the 6.5 Creedmoor, the much loved 303 (at least its much loved here in South Africa) and the 308.

In all honesty, aside from the 6.5 Creedmoor, i haven't truly noticed much difference in the recoil. I have however noticed the louder bang of the 30 06 over the over. Even with a suppressor its loud.

I hunt for meat, so meat damage is definitely a factor. In this regard the 30 06 has more meat damage then the both the 303 and 308. I won't mention the 6.5 as i believe that (at least in my generation and younger, 31 years old) men should stop complaining about the recoil of a 30 cal vs the 6.5 and man up. If you want to go hunting then there is no room for being "sensitive".

All this being said what are your opinions of the 30 06 over the 308 for hunting with regards to meat? Preferably leaving out the fanboy mentality as both calibers are amazing!!
For the same bullet, weight and speed there isn’t any difference.
I have both and use both regularly, but the main use of each is different.
The 308W is used in a lighter rifle with lighter bullets of a more soft construction for medium and smaller animals.
The .30-06 is used with heavier bonded bullets for medium and larger animals.
Both are great cartridges.

I won’t enter the debate whether the 308W is a classic.

Edit: This is for the Eastern Cape where I do most of my hunting.

Outstanding picture !

I think, back in the day, the 7mm Remington Magnum advertising did take a nibble or two from the 30-06. The 7mm Rem in my opinion is a good round, as is the 30-06.

I went almost 40 years with one 30-06 in the house. Except at the range it has been unused for 30+ years. A few years ago, I bought another purely because that particular rifle was chambered in it. Then another for the same reason. These 3 are mostly range rifles to me. Basically they are reminders of older production rifles with a bit more workmanship than most of today’s production.

Then I thought, hell why not a short barrel 30-06 in stainless for possible use. And then, I thought again, an expensive pastime that thinking, why not a 30-06 in stainless with a 24” barrel.

The 30-06 was never my favorite round. But, no denying that it is a great round. And for most of us 300 yard and under shooters, an extremely effective cartridge.

For years I only had an ‘06 in a M1 Garand, I referred to the 30-06 as the Azzhole of rifle cartridges because everyone has one. Grew up listening to everyone talk as if the ‘06 had some mystic ability to take game. I was a member of the 7mm RM cult and couldn’t stand the mention of the ‘06! Fast forward 35 years and I own 5 or 6 of them somehow and even took one to Africa. I can’t argue it is a grand old cartridge that can do anything it is meant to do. Find yourself a nice Pre-64 to enjoy a side of nostalgia along with the main course.
Cheers,
Cody

View attachment 410741

I owned one .30-06, a tikka. It was accurate but I never became a fan of the rifle or the cartridge. I shoot a 7x57 for most things. When I need to step it up I typically grab a 9.3 or .375. I never found the ‘06 added much to this equation.

A Tikka 30-06 (T3X Hunter) is what I took to Africa last month on a first time PG hunt. No misses and 7 of 9 animals were one shot kills. Therefore it's the greatest of them all. ;)

In all seriousness - it, along with 180 grain A-Frame reloads, performed about as good as I could have hoped for.

I owned one .30-06, a tikka. It was accurate but I never became a fan of the rifle or the cartridge. I shoot a 7x57 for most things. When I need to step it up I typically grab a 9.3 or .375. I never found the ‘06 added much to this equation.
I couldn’t agree more with this, so many rifles in the safe are much easier to grab, like any 338 or a 300 H&H. Not until @Clayton gifted me the Pre-64 would I have ever used one as a first choice. When he gave me that rifle, I told him I would use it and I did just a few months later to kill a 370 bull in Montana, fittingly where the rifle was originally purchased from a dealer near where I grew up. He told me the rifle needed to go back home and it did. I sent him a picture as soon as I got service and he replied “you don’t know how happy this makes an old man”. Tugs at my heart just thinking about it! I will hunt with it in the future and think of my dear friend Clayton Gilley and the great time I got blessed to spend with him.
Cheers, Cody

The 30/06 is great rifle cartridge, the Ruger Hawkeye is a classic style rifle, or may be look
at a
walnut stocked Weatherby Vanguard, or look for an older Parker Hale M98 or FN they both should have open sights i have an older Remington 700 in a Bell & Carlson stock its been an excellent rifle

I couldn’t agree more with this, so many rifles in the safe are much easier to grab, like any 338 or a 300 H&H. Not until @Clayton gifted me the Pre-64 would I have ever used one as a first choice. When he gave me that rifle, I told him I would use it and I did just a few months later to kill a 370 bull in Montana, fittingly where the rifle was originally purchased from a dealer near where I grew up. He told me the rifle needed to go back home and it did. I sent him a picture as soon as I got service and he replied “you don’t know how happy this makes an old man”. Tugs at my heart just thinking about it! I will hunt with it in the future and think of my dear friend Clayton Gilley and the great time I got blessed to spend with him.
Cheers, Cody
Bullthrower338....I'm with you on the 338 vs 30-06.....if plains game includes Eland....it's a better choice than the '06. If Eland isn't on the menu, then I believe the '06 is more than adequate for everything else. With modern bullets and powders, it is equal to a 300 H&H for all practical purposes.

That said, I have my favorites, like everyone else. I won't likely own a .338 because I have a couple of .375 H&H's that I love and don't see much difference between the two. The cool factor of a 300 H&H makes it one that I'll probably buy one day.

Congrats on the 370 bull by the way!

In CRF confirguration (as winchester m70):
Zastava m70
Second hand ZKK 600, or CZ 550.

In other configurations:
Sako 85
Sauer 100 or 101.
Tikka t3

You have not given other specifics, but in modular rifle, or linear action following to be considered:
blaser r8
Merkel helix
Modular, turnbolt - sauer 202, or 404

If you want to stay in budget 1500 to 1800 usd, then zastava, second hand, zkk or cz 550, sako 85, sauer 100, 101, tikka t3. Best bet would be sako 85. You should be able to find sako 85 on upper limit of your budget.
You can add Ruger 30-06 express. It has CRF. My favorite is Remington model 7400 20" barrel.

Last edited:
I shot some Barnes TTSX 150s out of my 22" barrel the other day. They averaged 3001 fps. The recoil is easier than 180s.

Seems like it would be harmful to any animal around.

I shot some Barnes TTSX 150s out of my 22" barrel the other day. They averaged 3001 fps. The recoil is easier than 180s.

Seems like it would be harmful to any animal around.
150's in robust bullets don't get the credit they deserve. I'd imagine the elk, caribou, gemsbuck, zebra or even moose won't know the difference in 150 vs. 180 TTSX.

150's in robust bullets don't get the credit they deserve. I'd imagine the elk, caribou, gemsbuck, zebra or even moose won't know the difference in 150 vs. 180 TTSX.
The monolithic bullets in moderately lighter weights definitely seem to perform well. Even mono’s in what I would consider varmint weight bullets seem to do surprisingly well.

I am still more middle of the road. I am not sure if I will ever hunt with a 30-06. But, I am going with the 165 grain TSX and TTSX. The TSX, are in the mix because I already have a few boxes from pre-TTSX days.
If, I did not have a couple of 1-12 twist 30-06’s and 308 Winchesters, I would have probably chosen the 168 grain TTSX.

I plan on the 175 LRX & 180 TTSX for the various 300 magnums. Mostly for the little higher B.C. I would not hesitate to use the 165’s in them either.
I mention the Barnes, but any of the monolithic or solid shank bullets should work with little difference in performance.

Guys, I agree with the premise that the Pre-64 M70 is a great rifle and the current production M70 CRF as well.

However the M70 Pushfeed is the most undervalued rifle on the planet. I've recently seen later model Pushfeeds (after they added the internal guide rail and fixed the homely stocks) for $300.00 on the used rack. That's a lot of rifle for less than the price of the Remington 783.

You can but a M70 Pushfeed for less than a Savage 110 and much less than a decent older M700. A rifle with a forged flat bottom receiver with an integral recoil lug and what may have been the best hunting trigger ever designed. It only fails to measure up if you insist in comparing it to rifles from the previous era.

Last edited:
Guys, I agree with the premise that the Pre-64 M70 is a great rifle and the current production M70 CRF as well.

However the M70 Pushfeed is the most undervalued rifle on the planet. I've recently seen later model Pushfeeds (after they added the internal guide rail and fixed the homely stocks) for $300.00 on the used rack. That's a lot of rifle for less than the price of the Remington 783.

You can but a M70 Pushfeed for less than a Savage 110 and much less than a decent older M700. A rifle with a forged flat bottom receiver with an integral recoil lug and what may have been the best hunting trigger ever designed. It only fails to measure up if you insist in comparing it to rifles from the previous era.
I agree. The M70 push feeds are good rifles and a great value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg