Opening steps on first trip

IronRanger

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Wheels hitting tar in 5, arriving in RSA mid day the 18th, at our outfitter, Latagens, on the 19th.

Gotta thank everyone for the wealth of info that helped start this adventure.

20220717_062339.jpg

Drink in Africa. Shoot straight. Good Luck and have fun. Hunt reports always welcome.

Enjoy your time in South Africa, take it all in!!

Have fun!! I'm going for my maiden voyage next month, can't wait to read about your trip!! Good luck!!

Well you started well with Groomes! Good luck, and soak it up.

Good luck and shoot straight. Will watch for report

Safe travels! Soak in all that Africa is.

Congratulations on the safari!!

Day One.

1) Springbuck seen just after sunrise, good stock taken at 110yds. Great start.

2&3) Black Wildebeest stocked several times before getting a shot, first one taken 164yds, herd ran in circles, second one finished at 220yds going away. Double with one rifle.

1315.jpg
1353.jpg
1363.jpg
1378.jpg

Day Two

Figured out the pattern, up and breakfast before the sun, out the gate as the sky turns red, lunch at noon, fire after dark, dinner after the fire, lots of story's as you go; and trips to the skinning shed if your lucky.

4) A fun Impala stock early in the morning, sub 90yds shot after stopping the ram with a grunt.

5) Springbuck just before noon, had to bob and weave through a Batchlor group to pick him out. Sub 100yd shot dropped him.

6) Blesbuck taken at 193yds, was hard to pick out of the herd, tried to hide after dropping on second hit, took us a few minutes to find him, at my feet but under water. Wild training ending.

7) Blesbuck taken as the day ended, picked him out as they feed to us, dropped at 92yd shot.

1416.jpg
1444.jpg
1457.jpg
1461.jpg
1485.jpg

Day Three

Shifted to a new location, we called it the sheep farm, a hilly area with little cover to us as we hunted.

8) Managed to get close to this Blue Wildebeest by peak and sneak over hill creasts, 169yds shot, took extras to bring him down.

1515.jpg

Day Four

Shifted hunting to what we called 'The MT'

9) Spotted this Waterbuck at mid morning, took hours to sneak into range, shooting through a tight window in the brush, through a hole in the leaves at 163yds. Took a long time, felt good (he was bedded) took the shot. He got up and ran, blood on his back, first running shot hit his nose (can see the cut in the photo, verified on video), second was total miss. It was after noon, trackers took hours looking for a sign, we caught him sneaking back to the same area we flushed him out with a few cows. He stopped, giving us a full broadside shot up hill, took it. Had him in the truck as the sun set.

1554.jpg

Day Five

The 'top' trophy is our target today. My brother and I wanted to share hunting Sable together.

10&11) Started hunting well after the sun was up, but the area was more rolling grasslands then anything. Spotted a herd of about 30 Sable by late morning, made several stocks and finally got into range of one Bull, dropped at 150ish, herd ran off but we kept an eye on them. A long walk later, we found them bedded with a bull at the back. Hunted withing 180yds and had to stop, no cover, waiting game time, I was on the sticks nearly 15min before the bull stood up and shifted, good hit, down less then 40yds from his bed.

1609.jpg
1616.jpg
1639.jpg
1641.jpg

Day Six

12) We had been looking for Nyala in heavy low cover on mornings and evenings since day 2. Spotted this one early in the day. Almost ran to get into position, sun at our back, wind in our face, sticks go up, Nyala go's down at about 90yds.

1694.jpg

Day Seven

Basically rained out... who knew it rains hard most of the day in July, in RSA!

Looks like a great hunt! thanks for sharing!

Day Eight

13) Worked new ground, heavy with rock ridges overlooking the Orange River, spotted nice Mountain Reedbuck, ewe's ran he stayed to see what we were. Hardest shot of the trip, 193yds almost straight on. Down were he stood.

14) Eland is a huge animal, hard for them to hide.

1754.jpg
1808.jpg

Day Nine

Glassed for Kudu, walked behind Hartebeest most of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg