Open sights on new rifles

Ravensview

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
SCI,DSC, DU
This question may be me having a brain fart, when did manufacturers get away from installing sights on hunting rifles? I remember most hunting rifles when I was younger always had iron sights or peep sights on them, currently most rifles do not (I know some models do), more or less asking for my own curiosity

I’m going to piggy back in this thread, and ask a question.

If you were building a small or medium bore, would you pay the additional expense of having irons installed? I feel a rifle looks naked without them, but the odds of them being used are slim to none

If you were building a small or medium bore, would you pay the additional expense of having irons installed? I feel a rifle looks naked without them, but the odds of them being used are slim to none

YES!!!!!.... :E Big Grin:

Yes. One of my project guns is likely to cost more (by MSRP prices) in irons that the gun itself.

To the OP, most new bolt action guns that come through the shop do not have irons, but the older used guns that come through do indeed have them more often than not. I couldn't tell you exactly when, but it seems like the emphasis on longer range shooting (not just hunting) has made irons less than an afterthought. Even on the AR platform, which has a carryover fud mentality of BUIS being fundamental, is moving away from them. Partially this is due to the ease and durability of modern mounts and optics. Just my opinion, don't even have a wikipedia link to back any of this up.

Absolutely

Fro a more traditional look, yes I'd go to the expense of adding the sights.

However for a more functional I would go with a red dot or similar sight. For us older hunters who can't focus on three things at one time open sights are a huge no go. But put a red dot onto that rifle and we can use it quite easily.

It seems like rifles built in the 60's and most of the 70's still had open sights.
Then in the 80's the sightless trend started to take hold?

For my scoped rifles, I like the look of a clean barrel without any iron sights. In over 50 years of big game hunting I have never had a scope fail, so in my thinking, iron sights on a scoped rifle are just excess baggage.

On all of my guided hunts around the world, except for my Dagestan Tur hunt in Azerbaijan, my Outfitter or Guide had a rifle that I could use if something would happen to mine.

Prior to my Cape Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe in 2005 I had a Remington 700 Classic in .375 H&H that I had bought in the hopes of using it in Africa someday. But being someone that likes to tinker with my rifles, I looked at what I would have to change on that rifle to fit my liking: Re-stock it with a longer LOP and a roll-over cheek pad, take off the iron sights and plug their screw holes, and have it re-chambered to .375 Ackley.

So I took it to a gun show and traded it for a Rem 541 T .22 LR that I had wanted for many years, and then bought a new Rem SS 700 BDL chambered in .375 RUM for my Cape Buffalo hunt. I also did put my .375 RUM in a new laminated stock that better fit me and I checkered it in my favorite pattern.

It seems like rifles built in the 60's and most of the 70's still had open sights.
Then in the 80's the sightless trend started to take hold?
I’d guess it’s primarily due to the advances/improvements in optics tech and the proliferation of their use. That and maybe a change in hunting over the years like the majority of hunters aren’t still hunting/stalking?

I’d guess it’s primarily due to the advances/improvements in optics tech and the proliferation of their use. That and maybe a change in hunting over the years like the majority of hunters aren’t still hunting/stalking?
That and the nearly wholesale march away from anything traditional by the youngest generations compounded by the rise of interest in long range target shooting and long range “hunting” by the same groups

I will not own a rifle that doesn't have iron sights, however all of my rifles have scopes in QD mounts. If there is a problem with the scope, I can at least verify the iron sight and continue to hunt. Yes, range will be shortened, but better that than scrapping an entire hunt.

Most manufacturers don't feel the same way when it comes to irons. I recommend you vote your conscious with your wallet and get whichever you want. That would be the only way to change the trend of no iron sights.

I think Josh P has it right. I have quite a few rifles with irons. I love the look. They also add weight. Not much but light weight rifles are also a thing and have been for some time. Even before the long range craze...which I have no problem with. That said, I have never bothered to check my irons to make sure that they are on and a bet very few people have either whether they will admit to it or not.

I think Josh P has it right. I have quite a few rifles with irons. I love the look. They also add weight. Not much but light weight rifles are also a thing and have been for some time. Even before the long range craze...which I have no problem with. That said, I have never bothered to check my irons to make sure that they are on and a bet very few people have either whether they will admit to it or not.
Two is one and one is none. Ask me how I know...

Not sighting in your irons puts you firmly in the latter category. You hunt and your choice because you will be the one living with the consequences should something go awry.

Up until several years ago, I used mostly iron sighted rifles or peep sights, evening and early morning and aging eyes changed that to scopes, I was thinking the open sights started disappearing in the mid to late eighties. All of my rifles still have irons on them though except for a new tikka t1x .22 that I picked up recently.

This question may be me having a brain fart, when did manufacturers get away from installing sights on hunting rifles? I remember most hunting rifles when I was younger always had iron sights or peep sights on them, currently most rifles do not (I know some models do), more or less asking for my own curiosity
I think it depends on the cartridge and the purpose of the rifle. On rifles that will only be used with scopes (varmints, open country deer, mountain hunting, etc.) Iron sights are in the way, and frankly look ridiculous on say a flat shooting 6.5, 7, or .300 mag. About 40 years ago I bought a 7mm RM with cheap and distracting open sights. The front sight was visible in the scope and I removed them.

Muzzle loaders require iron sights. My .458 has open sighs and a scope in quick detachable mounts, and I suppose a lever action short range rifle would need irons. So it depends.

I think it depends on the cartridge and the purpose of the rifle. On rifles that will only be used with scopes (varmints, open country deer, mountain hunting, etc.) Iron sights are in the way, and frankly look ridiculous on say a flat shooting 6.5, 7, or .300 mag. About 40 years ago I bought a 7mm RM with cheap and distracting open sights. The front sight was visible in the scope and I removed them.

Muzzle loaders require iron sights. My .458 has open sighs and a scope in quick detachable mounts, and I suppose a lever action short range rifle would need irons. So it depends.

My 300 win mag has irons and scope in claw mounts....used the irons on driven boar and other things.....

With suppressors becoming more common, front sights are in the way if you want to thread the barrel for a suppressor. If building a rifle do you mount the front sight farther back?

With suppressors becoming more common, front sights are in the way if you want to thread the barrel for a suppressor. If building a rifle do you mount the front sight farther back?
Suppressors screw up just about everything associated with a traditional rifle - besides turning most into something with the dynamics of a surf rod. I "run" one on my DDM4, but not on a rifle I use for hunting. Virtually all of the rifles I use for that (and any that I might take to Africa) have quickly dismountable scopes and quality/regulated open sights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross