Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
The new moose tag system has me applying for areas I didn't consider before. 16B is on my list now but I know very little about it. It's very remote so I won't get to scout it in advance. It seems to have very limited road access. Has anyone had experience with this WMU?

I hunted there in 2013 or so. Very remote like you said. Don’t depend on any help from anyone else, so plan accordingly. There are some camps that you can get reasonable lodging at.

savant lake has a restaurant, grocery store, and hotel. There are good moose there, but you’ll have to work a little.

I hunted there in 2013 or so. Very remote like you said. Don’t depend on any help from anyone else, so plan accordingly. There are some camps that you can get reasonable lodging at.

savant lake has a restaurant, grocery store, and hotel. There are good moose there, but you’ll have to work a little.
Thanks. Pretty much what I thought. It looks like there are some newish cuts south off of 516. Maybe camp back there.

I'm looking for a moose hunt, probably Ontario, in 2023, party of 5 or 6. Let me know what you find out.

@Boyd Brooks says it can be tough going to try to draw a bull tag.

But Ontario also seems to have more hunts in my budget - paying for me and my son as a graduation present.

So far, the outfitters i've talked to are sort of in a holding pattern, trying to figure out what to do with all the covid delays for their clients over the last couple years.

I'd like to get a bull for my son, but the rest of us are meat hunters. TBH, my son is a meat hunter, too, but he'd love to take a nice bull.

I'm looking for a moose hunt, probably Ontario, in 2023, party of 5 or 6. Let me know what you find out.

But Ontario also seems to have more hunts in my budget - paying for me and my son as a graduation present.

So far, the outfitters i've talked to are sort of in a holding pattern, trying to figure out what to do with all the covid delays for their clients over the last couple years.

I'd like to get a bull for my son, but the rest of us are meat hunters. TBH, my son is a meat hunter, too, but he'd love to take a nice bull.
I have not used an outfitter for a moose hunt yet, so I cannot recommend any. But I will certainly pass along anything I find out. There seem to be some well established ones from what I have seen. I suggest also that you consider Newfoundland too.

i have used several outfitters along with DIY hunts, done fly ins and drive in spots, so know some of the good bad and ugly about it all.
Ive never used a guide, and some of the fly in hunts are fun and out of the way. I would also suggest looking at Quebec, i had the chance last fall but couldn't rustle up 2-3 more people on a short notice hunt.
Have also hunted Newfoundland which was an experience to be sure

Have you looked into a drop hunt in Alaska? Guides are not required for moose.

Have you looked into a drop hunt in Alaska? Guides are not required for moose.
Not in a while, but as I recall, they're still a bit north of my budget. If it were just me and my friend and my B-i-L, would be do-able. Paying for 2...not so much.

Reactions: WAB
Not in a while, but as I recall, they're still a bit north of my budget. If it were just me and my friend and my B-i-L, would be do-able. Paying for 2...not so much.

Call Doug Brewer at Alaska West Air and see what he’s charging for a drop hunt. He is an excellent operator.

Call Doug Brewer at Alaska West Air and see what he’s charging for a drop hunt. He is an excellent operator.
email sent.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg