Only 4 weeks to go before Namibia

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Lrntolive, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Lrntolive

Lrntolive AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
    Hey all,

Been a while since I last posted, but since I'm so close to my trip, I need some advice from some of you seasoned Africa hunters.

I thought I had the exact animals I wanted to take planned out, but my wife has thrown me a curve ball, and I'm not sure the best animals for her personal "project." I'm hoping you guys can assist. Maybe even post some pictures?

I plan to take a Gemsbok and Impala, those are 1 and 2 on my list. The rest of my list is open to whatever presents itself that I like and is within my budget. My wife has asked for some skins so she can make some interesting pillows/cushions/quilt with them. I'm really not sure which animal hides would be best for this purpose.

Any of you guys or ladies have any suggestions and images of interesting things you've done with your hides?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. akeate

akeate AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA (Wyoming, Utah, Texas, Idaho), South Africa
    Gemsbok hair isn't as much hair as it straw. Impala is amazing and Springbok is classic along with zebra. Shoot straight.

3. Hearties

Hearties AH Member

Member of:
    SAHGCA, SA WIngshooters, CPS, FBSSC
    Hunted:
    RSA, Botswana
    Blue Wildebeest has a definite stripe in it - very attractive for a rug or an ottoman.

4. bdavis1960

bdavis1960 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa
    IMG_3499.JPG

My first trip was to Namibia. I kept back skins from 2 gemsbok, kudu, mountain zebra, and blue wildebeest and had these gun cases made. I do agree with comment above regarding how coarse gemsbok hair is, but if used only as decorations, I don't think your wife will be disappointed. Good hunting!

5. David Johnston

David Johnston AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    UK (Engalnd & Scotland) Namibia, South Africa
    Zebra make great rugs and I also have impala and waterbuck. I've seen cushions made with waterbuck where the "white ring" completes a near circle on one side of the cushion.

Lrntolive likes this.

6. ScottG

ScottG AH Fanatic

Have fun on your adventure.

7. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    If your outfitter offers cull animals that would be a less expensive option for getting quality hides. Often times the females and younger animals have better fur and fewer scars. This may also allow you to take more animals. Good luck and I look forward to hearing of your success.

8. reedy0312

reedy0312 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Have fun, good luck! Springbok, impala, blue wildebeest, zebra hides certainly all worth bringing back.

9. Lrntolive

Lrntolive AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
    Yes, my PH does offer cull animals. That's why my wife had taken an interest in getting extra hides. Thanks.

10. Lrntolive

Lrntolive AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
    Had anyone had cowboy boots made from any hides?

11. CAustin

CAustin BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Yep back skins from almost all plains game will make pillows. I have some from Kudu and red hartebeest

12. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Elite

Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International, Illinois Falconers Organization
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
    Yes. I've had Courtney shoes and boots made as I'm not a cowboy guy. Impala for tongue and cuff that is super soft and comfy. Ostrich, elephant, hippo and Cape buffalo for main leather.

As far as hides go, Kudu hair on is rather iffy and prone to shed. Impala and springbok are pathetically cheap to buy, a tenth of the cost of bring back stuff.

The only hide on your trip that will be serviceable and a "deal" for your wife's purposes are zebra. Bring back scores of them tanned as you'll never buy them secondary market for less.

Sika98k likes this.

13. Ragman

Ragman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, USA(Texas)
    The day we were leaving Namibia, our hostess took us to a tannery in Windhoek before she took us to the airport. There was all kinds of tanned hair-on full skins. All kinds of species. I bought a springbok hide and it was cheap. I regret not getting a zebra. They also had all kinds of leather products like belts, purses and boots. Lots of horn products too. I just forget the name of the place.

Lrntolive likes this.

14. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Elite

Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International, Illinois Falconers Organization
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
    In the USA springbok and impala hides are $15-$60 and are better tanned than what we bring back. Zebra hides in the USA are $1200-$1800 yet you can get those hunting trophies tanned in Africa for much less. Money isn't the only driving factor but I'm trying to paint the financial picture here.

Lrntolive likes this.

15. MarkCZ

MarkCZ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Scotland , England, Namibia
    Definatly Springbok and Red Hartebeast. Baboons are a must to hunt any were in Africa they are very challenging .
    Markcz

16. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Elite

Member of:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
    Let me give one counterpoint to killing baboons. They are really, really smart. You pray you find baboons that have never been harassed by people and never shot at. If you find calm baboons please don't shoot them or instill any distrust.

Here's why: duiker and really nice trophy bushbuck and nyala follow troops of baboons. The baboons provide easy meals as they are sloppy eaters. They provide alarm detection for protection against predators. If you really want nice trophy bushbuck the last thing you want is to have the baboons ratting you out.

If everyone leaves the baboons alone they agree to not ruin your stalks!

johnnyblues likes this.

17. James Cook

James Cook AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, NRA Life, B.A.S.S., Ducks Unlimted
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Mexico, Argentina, U.S. - LA, TX, OK, AR, AL, SC, GA
    our ph had springbok rugs throughout lodge and bedrooms - very soft and supple rungs

18. Philip Glass

Philip Glass BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Mountain zebra back skin is the best. Shoot a couple of them, one for flat skin and one for pillows etc.
    Philip

19. MarkCZ

MarkCZ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Scotland , England, Namibia
    I take your point but I never had any complaints from anyone in Africa about shooting baboons, nor have I had any stalking ruined because of folks shooting baboons. Everyone hates them they are treated as vermin and they are the only animal that is not afforded any respect after the death. All the P.H,s I have hunted with have never said not to shoot them for the reasons you state. I still maintain they are the most difficult and challenging to shoot of any species. I regard them as we do Foxes in the U.K. vermin, the farmers in S.A. and Namibia hate them. My 15 inch Bushbuck was not within 2miles of any baboon.#
    Markcz

bdavis1960 likes this.

20. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Elite

Member of:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Canada, USA

Understood. I have no care or concern for baboons.

It's just my desire for them to be dead is much less than my desire to kill a trophy bushbuck!

johnnyblues, MarkCZ and bdavis1960 like this.