One step closer to my first Safari! Plane tickets are booked!

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This safari has been no less than five years in the making. Through difficulties in scheduling vacation with my previous job as well as trying to save up the cash and a myriad of difficulties. Including once I finally did book the trip in Oct. 2020 the PH I had booked with was killed in an unfortunate accident in December of 2020. I then had to get my deposit back and start all over, then of course we were mid corona virus and we all know the level of uncertainty that brought for trying to book any kind of travel, much less international.
We pulled the trigger on the plane tickets last night. Qatar Airlines. DFW to Doha-Doha to Harare. We are in KY so it is a 10HR drive to Dallas, but that is the plan to avoid any snags with unnecessary flights. Driving to Dallas the day before then flying at 22:45 the following evening and spending 12 days with Dalton & York in Zim. We have roughly 10 months to go. I had decided to hunt a Bull elephant but after a good bit of discussion with my booking agent I believe I am going with our original plan. My funding for the trip would accommodate the trophy fee for 1 Bull or a buffalo, a tuskless, and probably a Hippo on land, and maybe a couple of PG if i really stick to the ramen noodles and natural light;) I think I will save the bull until I aquire a double someday. It being my first trip she highly recommended i leave my options open so that over the course of the 12 days I would have the freedom to hunt a few different animals and not fly halfway around the world to pull the trigger one time, which made a good bit of sense with it being my first trip.

Congrats on finally “pulling the trigger”.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like a great trip in the making!

I did the same thing a few weeks ago going to New Zealand. Drove to Houston to get on a direct flight. There are too many cancelations to take a chance on cancelations. I had a friend who missed a flight due to domestic flight getting canceled. He had to sleep in the airport and wait 24 hours.

Great hunting and smooth flights!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, no place closer to catch a Qatar flight then DFW?

Wow, no place closer to catch a Qatar flight then DFW?
Atlanta is a couple hours closer but the flight tickets were $1000 higher and the layover was way longer. Chicago was the same distance as ATL but honestly I don't care to go to Chicago or Illinois for that matter, if I can avoid it.

I remember my "first plane tickets".
I went to airline office, old fashion, and bought them. And went out happy as never before.
Then I was eagerly waiting next few months to board that plane!

Just enjoy the whole experience! Take in the smells, sights and the sounds. You'll know it's a different world, and you are a part of it.

This safari has been no less than five years in the making. Through difficulties in scheduling vacation with my previous job as well as trying to save up the cash and a myriad of difficulties. Including once I finally did book the trip in Oct. 2020 the PH I had booked with was killed in an unfortunate accident in December of 2020. I then had to get my deposit back and start all over, then of course we were mid corona virus and we all know the level of uncertainty that brought for trying to book any kind of travel, much less international.
We pulled the trigger on the plane tickets last night. Qatar Airlines. DFW to Doha-Doha to Harare. We are in KY so it is a 10HR drive to Dallas, but that is the plan to avoid any snags with unnecessary flights. Driving to Dallas the day before then flying at 22:45 the following evening and spending 12 days with Dalton & York in Zim. We have roughly 10 months to go. I had decided to hunt a Bull elephant but after a good bit of discussion with my booking agent I believe I am going with our original plan. My funding for the trip would accommodate the trophy fee for 1 Bull or a buffalo, a tuskless, and probably a Hippo on land, and maybe a couple of PG if i really stick to the ramen noodles and natural light;) I think I will save the bull until I aquire a double someday. It being my first trip she highly recommended i leave my options open so that over the course of the 12 days I would have the freedom to hunt a few different animals and not fly halfway around the world to pull the trigger one time, which made a good bit of sense with it being my first trip.
You will have an epic first safari! I fly the same route next month and will report when I get back.

That will be great. I will take all the Intel I can get. I am just hoping everything holds together with the travel situation and it all goes smoothly. You never know these days.
You will have an epic first safari! I fly the same route next month and will report when I get back.

That will be great. I will take all the Intel I can get. I am just hoping everything holds together with the travel situation and it all goes smoothly. You never know these days.
Dont sweat the small stuff and just go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg