One rifle or two - That is the question!

image.jpg
He did get back on but it took a few misses to get the kinks out!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anti-Gravity gun? :whistle:

.375 HH Magnum for buffalo. Use a soft point for the first shot . But solids for the rest . I've had good results with Kynoch 300 grain round nosed fmj solids on Australian Water buffalo , not so good results with Hornady DGS in my Model 70. l also have some monolithic solids and meplat fmj solids , but l can't comment on their performance , as l never used them on game yet. Best expanding ammunition l ever used on a .375 HH Magnum was some vintage Winchester Silvertips . I would KILL to get a box of those again for Africa.

Attachments

• Screenshot (715).png
    Screenshot (715).png
    485.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
.375 HH Magnum for buffalo. Use a soft point for the first shot . But solids for the rest . I've had good results with Kynoch 300 grain round nosed fmj solids on Australian Water buffalo , not so good results with Hornady DGS in my Model 70. l also have some monolithic solids and meplat fmj solids , but l can't comment on their performance , as l never used them on game yet. Best expanding ammunition l ever used on a .375 HH Magnum was some vintage Winchester Silvertips . I would KILL to get a box of those again for Africa.

You are better off with just premium grade expanding bullets for Cape buffalo, especially in a .375...

Meplat mono metal solids or hydro's are best kept for elephant, rhino(the hardest of the lot) and maybe hippo on land, the rest premium expander's.

You are better off with just premium grade expanding bullets for Cape buffalo, especially in a .375...

Meplat mono metal solids or hydro's are best kept for elephant, rhino(the hardest of the lot) and maybe hippo on land, the rest premium expander's.
Thanks for teaching me that . I will use soft points Even for the Follow up shots on buffalo then , IvW ?

Take the 375 H&H, and a spare scope. (y)

How far are you planning to shoot? On four most recent hunts I took four buffalo and a lot (a real lot) of PG ranging from Suni to Cape and Livingstone eland with either the 30o gr TSX or A-Frame. Closest was 50 feet and longest nearly 300 yards. Never had to think about which bullet is in the chamber. I do use solids on the really little guys, but 30o gr Hydro’s shoot into the same group as A-Frames.

Simple is good. Really good. ;)
Not sure on the plains game, but buffalo and lion will be short range. I plan to use the 270gr for the most part, as they should be on target out to 200 yards or so and will require very little holdover at 300 yards . Basically the same trajectory as a 30/06. If I'm specifically hunting buffalo, then I'll use the 300gr.
My PH told me to use the lighter 270gr at higher velocity for the Lion, so it imparts more shock on the animal. I'm pushing those at 2750 fps.

Toby, the two of you should be on the ground as I write this, hopefully your luggage and firearms arrived without difficulty. Have a sundowner for me, get a good night's rest. Tomorrow it is boots on and lions to hunt.

That was conventional wisdom, but the new premium SPs drive so lethally deep that I never have or will use solids on cape buffalo. And more and more PH's are on board with that solution. Load a magazine of 300 grain A-Frames or TSX's in an accurate scoped .375 and go hunt anything in Africa but an elephant. For a pachyderm or a dik dik, a solid is a good choice - and in my experience, the Hydro is hard to beat.

I would not use a non-bonded cup & core on anything with a trophy fee attached to it.

That was conventional wisdom, but the new premium SPs drive so lethally deep that I never have or will use solids on cape buffalo. And more and more PH's are on board with that solution. Load a magazine of 300 grain A-Frames or TSX's in an accurate scoped .375 and go hunt anything in Africa but an elephant. For a pachyderm or a dik dik, a solid is a good choice - and in my experience, the Hydro is hard to beat.

I would not use a non-bonded cup & core on anything with a trophy fee attached to it.

You spoke my mind about the 300 grain Swift A frame . That's EXACTLY what l used on my last Aussie water Buff . The results are perfection. About Winchester Silvertips , l suppose this is a psychological flaw of mine. When l don't have something anymore , l tend to start thinking of it as better than it actually was , Red Leg. I still badly want Winchester Silvertips though :( for deer.
In regards to Solids , l have heard good things about Hydros but haven't tried them as of now. Monolithic solids are my latest craze :D . Are hydros better than Monolithic projectiles ?
Thanks as always .

You spoke my mind about the 300 grain Swift A frame . That's EXACTLY what l used on my last Aussie water Buff . The results are perfection. About Winchester Silvertips , l suppose this is a psychological flaw of mine. When l don't have something anymore , l tend to start thinking of it as better than it actually was , Red Leg. I still badly want Winchester Silvertips though :( for deer.
In regards to Solids , l have heard good things about Hydros but haven't tried them as of now. Monolithic solids are my latest craze :D . Are hydros better than Monolithic projectiles ?
Thanks as always .
I think they are a remarkable design. They drive as deeply as a normal solid, but produce a wound channel that seems to be twice the width with obvious additional damage to the target. They do not kill as quickly as a typical quality SP, but were decisive on everything I have hit with them; a group of animals that includes a couple of bear at one end and Suni at the other. I left a bit over a box with my PH and to date they have cleanly sorted out half a dozen elephant.

All that said, I concluded even they were not ideal for buffalo. A-Frames and the TSX family just do so much more damage to a beast that we are trying to get on the ground as quickly and finally as possible.

Am confirming above posts on the TSX. Used a 400 gr TSX in a .404 J last summer. One shot kill on a buff at 90 yards. Have never used A-Frames, but there reputation goes far and wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois