On The Quest Of The Black Leopard In Central African Republic C.A.R.

LEFOL SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2021
AH enthusiast
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Alain Lefol Safaris
Hunted
C.A.R., Tanzania, Zimbabwe & Chad
Central Africa and Ethiopia have some history with black Leopard in Africa their generally not so dark compare to the one you can find Asia the coloration is more dark brown than dark black and you still see little bite the spots.

Couple season ago during the early dry season we were burning a port of the area Alain Lefol so a big black cat crawling down from the told to get to bako. He told to the team he might sow a black leopard we try to go check the track but with the wind, the ash fly everywhere and the dry grown we couldn't find it.

Then came the brake for the Dallas Safaris Club and the SCI but the idea of the black leopard didn't quite our mind when we went back to CAR it was clearly an objective to find it. We put some Baboons around the location where Alain sow it and the time to the clients arrived 3 together a dad his son and a friend.
The son was very excited about it but he was also targeting a giant eland and the next couple day they was checking the baits but nothing came so we decide to go on eland.

The 6 days before the end of the safari the dad and his PH decide to check some leak and on the way back at around 10:00 they decided to check the baits and one first the trackers hit the top of the cabin to indicate a leopard was on the bait and the team was surprise a big black leopard!!!
The Dad want to keep it for his son...
Back to the camp the team decided to go back and start to built the blind and also add more meat to the bait. The son was his PH and tracking eland and only came back during the night.

The son when heard his dad sow the black leopard he only wanted to target it for the next 5 days the hunter and the Alain spent in the blind but the black leopard didn't show up...

The next hunt was 2 clients and one was not really interested but the second one much more and in the middle of the hunt a big leopard hit the bait again Alain decided to try with the client this afternoon. The team drop the hunter and the PH at 4:00pm and a the last light the leopard came Alain sow it was the black leopard the hunter was very excited and got on position to shoot and to be sure he took another look then took the shot. Alain was very surprise the leopard need move for about a second and then jump from the tree and the hunter was sure the leopard is dead.

After 15 minutes the team arrived and Alain, the trackers were checking but no blood and after asking to the client get in the position when he shot they found the bullet about 9ft (2,75 m) under the bait and 6 1/2 ft (2 m) right...

When the hunter has the leopard in the scope he took the other look over the scope he moved the rifle and he saw a black spot he pull the trigger...
That was a little bush at the bottom of the tree...

Everybody was disappointed of course a blind at 18 yards the client can't believe he has done such a mistake...

Alain decided to spend the night but only a female went on the bait but another leopard was making noise under the blind...

Nothing for the rest of the safari and only the female went back on the bait... We have tried again and put other bait and trail came but this black leopard never shows up again...

We saw one time a black female and one night on the road a young black leopard.
He hopes one of these days to have the chance to all least see one again.

Unfortunately, we didn't have any pictures of him.

Pictures of leopards at the leak

02010181JPG.jpg
02110106JPG.jpg
02220360JPG.jpg
03060049JPG.jpg
STC_0216JPG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking cat

Wow incredible story. I would have slept in the blind the entire time for that chance. I missed my first leopard almost the same way lol.

Wow incredible story. I would have slept in the blind the entire time for that chance. I missed my first leopard almost the same way lol.
We know with the emotion is difficult to keep focus all Ph use some tricks to try to decrease the chance of miss or wounded leopard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!