Older Legs ... A Cape Buff Hunt With Lower Physical Requirements?

Good on you! If you get a reputable Outfitter and a sensible expierienced PH they should be able to give you the hunt you expect and deserve that is a great experience, exciting, challenging and yet doable with your limitations.

Best of luck and congratulations on "going for it!".

Thanks for the support, going for it is what it is all about!

PHs in Zim said they had to keep their shins "hardened" by constant walking in the high grass, etc.
Concerning the OP questions may I give a bit of advice--first, don't concede to neuropathy--push the issue to get in shape both for any upcoming hunt and for your healthy future. Incrementally walk farther, no matter what. Second, consider that there are other hazards in just getting to Africa. On my first flight to Joburg, an elderly woman (you do not qualify as elderly in my book) almost died ON THE FLIGHT! If someone had not had an oxygen bottle, the type of which mountain climbers carry with them, I feel pretty sure she would not have made it. And when the crisis came the plane was 800+ miles equidistant from any land and hence landing site. I heard the captain tell her "Ma'am, you have to make it." You have to also be healthy enough to reach Africa, after all. Not trying to be unfeeling, just a little tough love maybe for your own good. Hope you overcome all obstacles and have a GREAT hunt.
It's a pity that we so often can only afford to go when we are older, but then, the safari industry is well accustomed to accommodating that. Good luck and God bless.

That is good advice. With the neuropathy I have tried all sorts of medications, creams, etc. The best results I have is to increase my movement. Even when there is pain, you have to push through that pain and keep walking & moving. I have also found that a lot of stretching helps.

A lot of it is to adapt and overcome the pain through a strong mental approach.

That is good advice. With the neuropathy I have tried all sorts of medications, creams, etc. The best results I have is to increase my movement. Even when there is pain, you have to push through that pain and keep walking & moving. I have also found that a lot of stretching helps.

A lot of it is to adapt and overcome the pain through a strong mental approach.
My Physical Therapist used to always say “Motion is Lotion”

I am in rough shape when I wake up but the more I move during the day the better I feel

I take Gabapentin before bed

+1 on physical therapy.

I've used PT through my health provider twice. Most recently over a three month period following heart by-pass surgery. They are miracle workers!

Had my chest cracked and new plumbing installed in February. Finished three months of PT in June. And just booked a Cape Buff hunt for 2023. (With one of the Outfitters that responded to this thread, btw - so thanks for that.)

Hey everyone, I am starting to plan my 1st Cape Buffalo hunt. I am in my early 60's and have a health issue that has lead to leg issues. Essentially I have neuropathy which has impacted my level of stamina. I can walk and work outside during the day, I just need to take breaks. To some extent, the more I move the better they feel, but will need recovery time.

As much as I really want a true cape buffalo hunt in the open wilds chasing down a Dagga boy over many miles of stalking, I have to be realistic that I am not going to be running up & down hills all day as I no longer have 30-40 year old legs.

I am looking at the South Africa, Namibia, area (open to other thoughts on the southern 1/3 of Africa) for target hunting areas. Would like to find an Outfitter/PH who could handle this type of request. Looking for a good dagga boy buff hunt experience along with options for other plains game. Primary is the buff and flexible on PG.

Any of you other OG's out there that can share training & prep and what to expect would also be appreciated.

Would appreciate any recommendations you guys could make.
Hi Nomadx2. I saw your Post and wanted to say heck yes you can go! I got back from a Cape Buffalo hunt in the Eastern Cape of South Africa the 23rd of July. I was there for 30 days and hunted quite a mixed bag of animals. Cape Buffalo was my main thrust. I went with Meyrick Bowker of Bowker Safaris. and he was very accommodating to my 72 year old legs and body (I will be 73 next week). Had a great time and took a nice Dugga Boy along with a number of plains game. You might want to check Bowker Safaris out. I flew Qatar Business Class from Seattle Washington to Johannesburg ZA, and Airlink from JoBurg to Port Elizabeth where I was picked up. Larry Mikelsen

20220707_144319.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you
At 43 C I can see why
Even at 43 degrees C, I’d chose to wear pants in that terrain. I wore pants on my sept/Oct Zimbabwe hunt last year. It’s easier to take a break than recover from some of the cuts on a 2 week trip, especially if an infection starts.

Even at 43 degrees C, I’d chose to wear pants in that terrain. I wore pants on my sept/Oct Zimbabwe hunt last year. It’s easier to take a break than recover from some of the cuts on a 2 week trip, especially if an infection starts.
That makes sense

My Physical Therapist used to always say “Motion is Lotion”

I am in rough shape when I wake up but the more I move during the day the better I feel

I take Gabapentin before bed

"Motion is Lotion" ... Exactly!

I get the morning challenge, I don't leap outta bed anymore.

The pain puts up a wall every day that you just have to climb over. Walking, body weight exercises, stretching, etc are all simple but effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross