Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I got this old school o3 springfield rifle in 3006, it was built by a gunsmith who knew what he was doing. it has normal carry-hunting marks, but has a ex bore and should be a ex shooter.

DSCN0838 (2).JPG
DSCN0839 (2).JPG
DSCN0840 (2).JPG
DSCN0841 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
SWEET! How does she shoot?

I love those old guns and agree that the gunsmith who sporterized it knew what he was doing. If you don't mind telling, what did you have to cough up for this aged beauty.

Very nice ‘03!

Very Cool! I like those old sporterized 03’. When I was nineteen I bought one in 30-06 AI and had lots of fun with that gun. Good solid old shooters...

I have not shot it yet, but it should as the bore is in ex condition. it cost me 320.00 USD, I thought it was a good buy. I have several sporterized other springfields and 98 mausers and after finding the right loads they all have become decent shooters. I don,t load hot.

DSCN0575 (2).JPG

Love the fleur de lis checkering on the stock.
Beautiful rifle.

I have not shot it yet, but it should as the bore is in ex condition. it cost me 320.00 USD, I thought it was a good buy. I have several sporterized other springfields and 98 mausers and after finding the right loads they all have become decent shooters. I don,t load hot.

View attachment 248555

That is a fine rifle, were you wearing a mask when you got it?:D That was a steal on that rifle! I have one, not as nice as yours, in which the barrel has some very fine pits in it and it still shoots good even with my old eyes. I shoot a lot of cast bullets in mine and it groups them into 1.5 MOA when the front sight is sharp and my wibbles compensate for my wobbles.;)

I too have several WW1 rifles that were turned into sporters. None of them have checkering as nice as yours. Those old rascals shoot well. Much better than most of the newer rifles in similar price brackets.

Very nicely done and kept old warrior. Once again it shows that these old rifles will never not be right up to date in both style and ability.

1AF050C8-DF1B-409F-8BDA-23371BE7D14D.jpeg

I have one not nearly as nice-looking, but it is my most accurate rifle. Love the old-school peep sight on it too.

Nice rifle at a good price.!!! There have been many sporterized M1903 Springfield over the years. This one is in good shape and nice work, but does not look like done by old time pro shops like Griffin and Howe and others. The work by G&H were more extensive in workmanship/ detail, i.e. in barrel/receiver blueing, bolt work/checkering, safety modificaions to accomodate low scope mounts, front ramp sight/ hood,hinged floor plate, checkered front receiver bridge, etc. Notice the Buehler Safety behind the checkered bolt in the first pic.

I have a old G&H custom M1903 30.06 Springfield that was done back in the post war era that u could pick up from war surplus thru membership in the NRA for around $50 and have custom Gunsmiths like G&H and others, work over the piece making it into a truly customized sporting rifle for $150-200. (back then) They can still be customized today for much much higher price.

Here is one built back in the 50's buy G&H

BoltKnobCheckering2.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG

Archerman, I too have several '03(s) and ('03 -A3 (s). Some sporterized, some not. One thing for sure is that they all shoot very well. I do have a correction to make on the price at which they were offered by the DCM. Back in 1958 it was $14.95 and $5.00 shipping and handling via REA. At that extravagant price you got a rifle where all of the serial numbers matched. The understanding at that time was that the gun shot 1 MOA. In later years you could purchase them for $39.95 but most of those had mismatched serial numbers because they were assembled from parts. But those my friend were the "good old days" which will never be seen again. BTW I really like your rifle.

Archerman, I too have several '03(s) and ('03 -A3 (s). Some sporterized, some not. One thing for sure is that they all shoot very well. I do have a correction to make on the price at which they were offered by the DCM. Back in 1958 it was $14.95 and $5.00 shipping and handling via REA. At that extravagant price you got a rifle where all of the serial numbers matched. The understanding at that time was that the gun shot 1 MOA. In later years you could purchase them for $39.95 but most of those had mismatched serial numbers because they were assembled from parts. But those my friend were the "good old days" which will never be seen again. BTW I really like your rifle.
@Shootist43
Art the M17's and P14s make up into some really nice rifles too but it takes a lot more work but I do like the dog leg bolt.
Bob

Nice Buy Congratulations

Bob, I have several M-17(s) as well. One in original guise and one that I bought fully sporterized by (and from) my life long hunting buddy before his passing. Those "old" Mill. Surps. make wonderful deer rifles whether they remain in 30-06 or a caliber built off that platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg