Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I got this old school o3 springfield rifle in 3006, it was built by a gunsmith who knew what he was doing. it has normal carry-hunting marks, but has a ex bore and should be a ex shooter.

DSCN0838 (2).JPG
DSCN0839 (2).JPG
DSCN0840 (2).JPG
DSCN0841 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
SWEET! How does she shoot?

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I love those old guns and agree that the gunsmith who sporterized it knew what he was doing. If you don't mind telling, what did you have to cough up for this aged beauty.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Very nice ‘03!

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Very Cool! I like those old sporterized 03’. When I was nineteen I bought one in 30-06 AI and had lots of fun with that gun. Good solid old shooters...

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I have not shot it yet, but it should as the bore is in ex condition. it cost me 320.00 USD, I thought it was a good buy. I have several sporterized other springfields and 98 mausers and after finding the right loads they all have become decent shooters. I don,t load hot.

DSCN0575 (2).JPG

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Love the fleur de lis checkering on the stock.
Beautiful rifle.

7x57Joe

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have not shot it yet, but it should as the bore is in ex condition. it cost me 320.00 USD, I thought it was a good buy. I have several sporterized other springfields and 98 mausers and after finding the right loads they all have become decent shooters. I don,t load hot.

View attachment 248555

That is a fine rifle, were you wearing a mask when you got it?:D That was a steal on that rifle! I have one, not as nice as yours, in which the barrel has some very fine pits in it and it still shoots good even with my old eyes. I shoot a lot of cast bullets in mine and it groups them into 1.5 MOA when the front sight is sharp and my wibbles compensate for my wobbles.;)

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
I too have several WW1 rifles that were turned into sporters. None of them have checkering as nice as yours. Those old rascals shoot well. Much better than most of the newer rifles in similar price brackets.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Very nicely done and kept old warrior. Once again it shows that these old rifles will never not be right up to date in both style and ability.

Trail Rated

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
1AF050C8-DF1B-409F-8BDA-23371BE7D14D.jpeg

I have one not nearly as nice-looking, but it is my most accurate rifle. Love the old-school peep sight on it too.

archerman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.africasafarihunts.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Safari Club Int'l, Maya Archery Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, South Africa
Nice rifle at a good price.!!! There have been many sporterized M1903 Springfield over the years. This one is in good shape and nice work, but does not look like done by old time pro shops like Griffin and Howe and others. The work by G&H were more extensive in workmanship/ detail, i.e. in barrel/receiver blueing, bolt work/checkering, safety modificaions to accomodate low scope mounts, front ramp sight/ hood,hinged floor plate, checkered front receiver bridge, etc. Notice the Buehler Safety behind the checkered bolt in the first pic.

I have a old G&H custom M1903 30.06 Springfield that was done back in the post war era that u could pick up from war surplus thru membership in the NRA for around $50 and have custom Gunsmiths like G&H and others, work over the piece making it into a truly customized sporting rifle for $150-200. (back then) They can still be customized today for much much higher price.

Here is one built back in the 50's buy G&H

BoltKnobCheckering2.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Archerman, I too have several '03(s) and ('03 -A3 (s). Some sporterized, some not. One thing for sure is that they all shoot very well. I do have a correction to make on the price at which they were offered by the DCM. Back in 1958 it was $14.95 and $5.00 shipping and handling via REA. At that extravagant price you got a rifle where all of the serial numbers matched. The understanding at that time was that the gun shot 1 MOA. In later years you could purchase them for $39.95 but most of those had mismatched serial numbers because they were assembled from parts. But those my friend were the "good old days" which will never be seen again. BTW I really like your rifle.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Archerman, I too have several '03(s) and ('03 -A3 (s). Some sporterized, some not. One thing for sure is that they all shoot very well. I do have a correction to make on the price at which they were offered by the DCM. Back in 1958 it was $14.95 and $5.00 shipping and handling via REA. At that extravagant price you got a rifle where all of the serial numbers matched. The understanding at that time was that the gun shot 1 MOA. In later years you could purchase them for $39.95 but most of those had mismatched serial numbers because they were assembled from parts. But those my friend were the "good old days" which will never be seen again. BTW I really like your rifle.
@Shootist43
Art the M17's and P14s make up into some really nice rifles too but it takes a lot more work but I do like the dog leg bolt.
Bob

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Nice Buy Congratulations

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Bob, I have several M-17(s) as well. One in original guise and one that I bought fully sporterized by (and from) my life long hunting buddy before his passing. Those "old" Mill. Surps. make wonderful deer rifles whether they remain in 30-06 or a caliber built off that platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsoormier

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J