Old Gibbs 6.5X54 & Old Fallow Buck

Sarg

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Took my Old 1903 Gibbs for a walk this morning on some rutting Fallow Bucks & shot a old guy in the bush, using 160gr Hornady reloads .

Old Fallow Buck & Old Gibbs.JPG

What a lovely deer and even more rare and lovely rifle. That load will have simply awesome SD.

Weidmanns Heil!!!

HWL

Waidmannsdank , yes cool old rifle, where I hunt these the Deer live & rut in our Sub Tropical Rainforest so you can sometimes sneak in very close to rutting Bucks but I have trouble seeing the open sights & need to put some reading glasses on which in turn get fogged up lol

So I just aquired a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 that has a scope fitted, should be much easier to see in the dark.

Last year I shot a nice Buck with my other even Older Gibbs 1893 in 6.5X53R (exact same load) but that did have a Diopter/Peep sight .

Buck & 6.5X53R- Dark.jpg

Waidmannsdank , yes cool old rifle, where I hunt these the Deer live & rut in our Sub Tropical Rainforest so you can sometimes sneak in very close to rutting Bucks but I have trouble seeing the open sights & need to put some reading glasses on which in turn get fogged up lol

So I just aquired a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 that has a scope fitted, should be much easier to see in the dark.

Last year I shot a nice Buck with my other even Older Gibbs 1893 in 6.5X53R (exact same load) but that did have a Diopter/Peep sight .

View attachment 398512
@Sarge
That barrel looks looong. You would need the game to stand a fair way away so you don't like him in the eye with th a barrel.
Bob

Again...….congrats on a beautiful rifle and trophy. Nothing better to me than hunting with old original and or classic style guns.

Haha they are only 25in @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, I have a Lee Speed in 8mm that is long at 26in but have an even longer one coming, must be 28in crazy really that one .

Just so hard to see the bloody open sights now !

To be fair the fore ends on both those Gibbs are very short, some thing of a Gibbs trade mark really !

Haha they are only 25in @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, I have a Lee Speed in 8mm that is long at 26in but have an even longer one coming, must be 28in crazy really that one .

Just so hard to see the bloody open sights now !

To be fair the fore ends on both those Gibbs are very short, some thing of a Gibbs trade mark really !
@Sarge
Must be just the short forend.
My gunsmith has a 7x57 military Mauser with a 29inch barrel that he uses for competition. With that long sight radius he shoots itty bitty group out to 600 yards.
I can even make out the open sights on that rifle but have a hard t one on my 20" barreled 92.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you