Old Gibbs 6.5X54 & Old Fallow Buck

Sarg

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Took my Old 1903 Gibbs for a walk this morning on some rutting Fallow Bucks & shot a old guy in the bush, using 160gr Hornady reloads .

Old Fallow Buck & Old Gibbs.JPG

What a lovely deer and even more rare and lovely rifle. That load will have simply awesome SD.

Weidmanns Heil!!!

HWL

Waidmannsdank , yes cool old rifle, where I hunt these the Deer live & rut in our Sub Tropical Rainforest so you can sometimes sneak in very close to rutting Bucks but I have trouble seeing the open sights & need to put some reading glasses on which in turn get fogged up lol

So I just aquired a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 that has a scope fitted, should be much easier to see in the dark.

Last year I shot a nice Buck with my other even Older Gibbs 1893 in 6.5X53R (exact same load) but that did have a Diopter/Peep sight .

Buck & 6.5X53R- Dark.jpg

Waidmannsdank , yes cool old rifle, where I hunt these the Deer live & rut in our Sub Tropical Rainforest so you can sometimes sneak in very close to rutting Bucks but I have trouble seeing the open sights & need to put some reading glasses on which in turn get fogged up lol

So I just aquired a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 that has a scope fitted, should be much easier to see in the dark.

Last year I shot a nice Buck with my other even Older Gibbs 1893 in 6.5X53R (exact same load) but that did have a Diopter/Peep sight .

View attachment 398512
@Sarge
That barrel looks looong. You would need the game to stand a fair way away so you don't like him in the eye with th a barrel.
Bob

Again...….congrats on a beautiful rifle and trophy. Nothing better to me than hunting with old original and or classic style guns.

Haha they are only 25in @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, I have a Lee Speed in 8mm that is long at 26in but have an even longer one coming, must be 28in crazy really that one .

Just so hard to see the bloody open sights now !

To be fair the fore ends on both those Gibbs are very short, some thing of a Gibbs trade mark really !

Haha they are only 25in @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, I have a Lee Speed in 8mm that is long at 26in but have an even longer one coming, must be 28in crazy really that one .

Just so hard to see the bloody open sights now !

To be fair the fore ends on both those Gibbs are very short, some thing of a Gibbs trade mark really !
@Sarge
Must be just the short forend.
My gunsmith has a 7x57 military Mauser with a 29inch barrel that he uses for competition. With that long sight radius he shoots itty bitty group out to 600 yards.
I can even make out the open sights on that rifle but have a hard t one on my 20" barreled 92.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg