AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
After reading @tarbe and @Bullthrower338 review on their buffalo hunt with John Sharp, I began thinking on what my dream hunt would be. It’s sure sounds like Cody might have had his dream hunt and it would be hard to top that.

For me, I would want to experience Africa like Ruark or Hemingway experienced it “not reality” or at least as close as possible. Hunting Elephant and Lion probably will never happen for me and I can face that and that’s ok. I want to hunt buffalo more than anything but while hunting I’d love to see elephant, lion, and plains game all together. I know that the Caprivi, Moz and Tanzania can offer this...

So if you were going on your dream hunt and desired to experience Africa as close as it once was, what would it be and what country would you choose?

Andrew,
You are correct, it was a dream hunt for me, something I never thought I would ever be able to do. The hunt was made that much better by the stalwart gentleman I had the privilege of hunting with. I have been fortunate to have several “dream hunts”, one of which was taking my father on a float hunt in Alaska, I didn’t get my intended game but I spent 15 days in the Alaska bush with my Dad, fulfilling his dreams. As well as taking him to OZ to hunt buffalo, another piece of the “bucket list” for him. Unfortunately he passed away earlier this year and I will never get the privilege of spending another moment on this earth with the best man I’ve ever known. So at the end of the day a dream hunt may be one that seems “average” or sometimes unsuccessful at the time it is happening but as time passes you realize you would trade anything to relive it once more. I hope you find yours!
Cheers,
Cody

I am fortunate to lived many dreams so far!

The first was getting to south Africa 10 years ago for a pg hunt. The bug bit and I have been back many more times.

The second dream was a hunt in the Luangwa valley, simply amazing place.

I am planning on another dream hunt and pinching myself doing it. A hunt to the Selous and Massailand in 2021! This will include buff and the various pg that are only available in the area.

Andrew,
You are correct, it was a dream hunt for me, something I never thought I would ever be able to do. The hunt was made that much better by the stalwart gentleman I had the privilege of hunting with. I have been fortunate to have several “dream hunts”, one of which was taking my father on a float hunt in Alaska, I didn’t get my intended game but I spent 15 days in the Alaska bush with my Dad, fulfilling his dreams. As well as taking him to OZ to hunt buffalo, another piece of the “bucket list” for him. Unfortunately he passed away earlier this year and I will never get the privilege of spending another moment on this earth with the best man I’ve ever known. So at the end of the day a dream hunt may be one that seems “average” or sometimes unsuccessful at the time it is happening but as time passes you realize you would trade anything to relive it once more. I hope you find yours!
Cheers,
Cody

There is a lot of wisdom in your post. First, Im sorry for your loss Cody. You obviously were close to your father and shared some great times.

My father and I are very close and he’s the reason I’m the man I am today. He taught me how to be a woodsman and hunter. He’s accompanying me to RSA next year for our first hunt. I want to take him on a backcountry elk hunt which is his dream.

Three places I’ve hunted that were absolutely wild with lion, leopard, elephant and buff:
Ngamiland in Botswana

Zambezi Valley in Zimbabwe

Upper Luangwa valley in Zambia.

You couldn’t go wrong with any of them. As critical as the area is a proper bush camp with great staff, first rate PH who you ‘click’ with, and trackers with a sixth sense.

I am fortunate to lived many dreams so far!

The first was getting to south Africa 10 years ago for a pg hunt. The bug bit and I have been back many more times.

The second dream was a hunt in the Luangwa valley, simply amazing place.

I am planning on another dream hunt and pinching myself doing it. A hunt to the Selous and Massailand in 2021! This will include buff and the various pg that are only available in the area.

Many dreams for sure! That sounds like the trip I want to take!

How was your hunt in Luangwa?

Three places I’ve hunted that were absolutely wild with lion, leopard, elephant and buff:
Ngamiland in Botswana

Zambezi Valley in Zimbabwe

Upper Luangwa valley in Zambia.

You couldn’t go wrong with any of them. As critical as the area is a proper bush camp with great staff, first rate PH who you ‘click’ with, and trackers with a sixth sense.

@WAB How was your hunt in Luangwa? Zambezi?

@WAB How was your hunt in Luangwa? Zambezi?

It was fantastic. We were in the furthest upstream hunting block on the Luangwa. Almost in Malawi. It was a traditional bush camp in a remote area with lots of game. I would love to go again, but Botswana and Zim have really grabbed my attention in recent years.

Many dreams for sure! That sounds like the trip I want to take!

How was your hunt in Luangwa?

It was amazing! Remote, wild, awesome! Saw elephant every day, saw lions, heard leopards, tons of hippo and croc. Camp right on the luangwa river.

It was fantastic. We were in the furthest upstream hunting block on the Luangwa. Almost in Malawi. It was a traditional bush camp in a remote area with lots of game. I would love to go again, but Botswana and Zim have really grabbed my attention in recent years.

Thats awesome! So you prefer Botswana and Zim over Zambia/Tanzania?
The Okovango Delta would be a great hunt...

I’ve seen countless hunts in the Zambezi valley and I really want to hunt there.

It was amazing! Remote, wild, awesome! Saw elephant every day, saw lions, heard leopards, tons of hippo and croc. Camp right on the luangwa river.

That is amazing! Exactly what I’m after! Who did you hunt with?

Buffalo or lion would definitely be my dream hunt but also doing an old school month long safari for 20 or so species would be wild too lol
Have to wait till I win the lotto lol

Buffalo or lion would definitely be my dream hunt but also doing an old school month long safari for 20 or so species would be wild too lol
Have to wait till I win the lotto lol

Buffalo and Lion would be exciting!!!

I’ve saved enough for the last 2 years to take my first trip for PG. Be two more years before i can hunt buffalo.
Im with you on the lotto!

That's awesome Andrew!!! I'm going on my first plains game hunt in sa in 2022. Been saving a while already lol

Awesome! I hope it’s everything you want it to be!

You might as well start planning
I’m planning our seventh this time doing 20 days in Namibia in hind sight I could have done two month long Safaries for what this African addiction will have cost me over the last 20 yrs but absolutely no regrets at all. They have all been dream hunts last two my wife came and loved it as well

You might as well start planning
I’m planning my seventh this time I’m doing 20 days in Namibia in hind sight I could have done two month long Safaries for what this African addiction will have cost me over the last 20 yrs but absolutely no regrets at all they have all been dream hunts

7 times! I’m sure you’ve seen some great country. I’m glad it’s all been dram hunts, can’t beat that!

Are saying i should be planning for my Buffalo hunt now?

You bet never to early to start planning it’s amazing how the planning process leads you to the trip all prepared and savings in place as part of that plan

Thats awesome! So you prefer Botswana and Zim over Zambia/Tanzania?
The Okovango Delta would be a great hunt...

I’ve seen countless hunts in the Zambezi valley and I really want to hunt there.

I’ve not been privileged to hunt Tanzania, but would love to. I’ve just never been able to justify the price tag.

I would not say that I prefer Zim and Bots over Zambia. It’s more that I have very good friends operating in Zim and Bots. All three are absolutely amazing and provide opportunities for truly wild hunts and proper bush camps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg