OK it's not a 405 but it's pretty darn close!

Beautiful piece of old American Style Craftsmanship . A buddy of mine in Bear Country uses a .444 Marlin on anything up to Black Bears and it has accounted for a lot of black Bears over the years.
Also , bullet availability is much easier than the .405 Winchester. If my memory serves me correctly, no one makes Solids for the .405 Winchester anymore ?

"If my memory serves me correctly, no one makes Solids for the .405 Winchester anymore ?"

Hoss, if you mean loaded cartridges, you are probably correct.
However if you mean solid bullets, you are not correct.
Hornady, Barnes, Woodleigh, and others make .410, 411, .412 bullets in 300 and 400 grains and they are readily available. In fact, the 300 grain Northfork came in cup point and flat point solids. The latter shoot through ele heads on a frontal brain shot.
There are also the 210 grain bullets for the .41 mag pistol; they come in several shapes and weights and some are fine for taking deer sized game.

"If my memory serves me correctly, no one makes Solids for the .405 Winchester anymore ?"

Hoss, if you mean loaded cartridges, you are probably correct.
However if you mean solid bullets, you are not correct.
Hornady, Barnes, Woodleigh, and others make .410, 411, .412 bullets in 300 and 400 grains and they are readily available. In fact, the 300 grain Northfork came in cup point and flat point solids. The latter shoot through ele heads on a frontal brain shot.
There are also the 210 grain bullets for the .41 mag pistol; they come in several shapes and weights and some are fine for taking deer sized game.
Yes , l meant loaded Cartridges At that time . But now , l have a stock of North fork Monolithic meplat brass Solids :D and someone who handloads for me. The guy who loads them for me will meet me on Saturday :)

You guys might remember that a few weeks ago I was thinking about buying a 405 Win. That was until someone reminded me that a 444 Marlin is very close to it balistically and that I already have a 444. That gun has been sitting in the safe for so long I had almost forgotten about it. Well I decided to get her out, dress her up and get her ready for bear hunting next fall. Here she is, so what do you think? I know it's not a 405 Win. in a Stainless, Laminated, Ruger #1 Tropical like I was going to buy, but then again it didn't cost me $1000 either.

View attachment 260500 View attachment 260501 View attachment 260502
@jduckhunter
Always had a soft spot for the 444 marlin. I don't like levers they bite the trigger finger so I built one on an SMLE No4 action. Stronger than the marlin and just as quick to cycle. Would safely launch a 280grain Woodleigh RNSP at 2,400 fps. Great on big pigs and sambar deer.
Bob
20200612_140018.jpg

My 444 Marlin
20200409_114800.jpg

Sambar deer 270kg on the good with the 444 and 280 grain woodleigh.

I got in some range time with my .444 this weekend. It really seems to like the Speer 270 gr. Deep Curl bullets and IMR4895 powder. It took me 3 shots to get her shooting to the center of the target at 100 yards and after that she just stayed in the center. View attachment 284836
@jduckhunter
The 444 is underrated in the accuracy department.
20191105_120646.jpg

3 shots out of my SMLE conversion.
Yes the load is higher than normal. DO NOT TRY THAT LOAD IN A MARLIN OR ANY OTHER RIFLE.
The beauty if the FTX load in the SMLE is I don't have to trim the cases to get them to feed
Bob

@jduckhunter
Always had a soft spot for the 444 marlin. I don't like levers they bite the trigger finger so I built one on an SMLE No4 action. Stronger than the marlin and just as quick to cycle. Would safely launch a 280grain Woodleigh RNSP at 2,400 fps. Great on big pigs and sambar deer.
Bob
View attachment 363735
My 444 Marlin
View attachment 363736
a somewhat younger bob i suspect.
bruce.

That is funny, when you forget what guns that you have in the safe. Here in Zim we have to relicense every 3 years, so we do not have your problem, did I say problem?

@jduckhunter
Bob
View attachment 363735
My 444 Marlin
View attachment 363736
Update I posted the wrong photo of my rifle the one pictured is my old 303. This is my 444 MARLIN, 22 inch barrel one in 20 twist and Huber concept trigger.
20191105_120003.jpg

Mag modified to take 5 in single stack and ejector screw changed. Feeds and ejects as quick as you can operate the bolt. I can also be loaded to higher pressure than the marlin and has the advantage of not needing to trim the cases to load the flex tips.
Bob

Update I posted the wrong photo of my rifle the one pictured is my old 303. This is my 444 MARLIN, 22 inch barrel one in 20 twist and Huber concept trigger.View attachment 367534
Mag modified to take 5 in single stack and ejector screw changed. Feeds and ejects as quick as you can operate the bolt. I can also be loaded to higher pressure than the marlin and has the advantage of not needing to trim the cases to load the flex tips.
Bob

that’s interesting! Heck of a brush / swamp deer and pig rifle

that’s interesting! Heck of a brush / swamp deer and pig rifle
@Scrumbag
With hornaday 265 Fox's @ 2,450 fps it makes a fine and dandy sambar/elk rifle out to 250 yards. Unfortunately I never got the chance to try the 300gn Barnes Buster. I think that would put some serious hurt on a water buffalo.
Bob

Does Hornady make a Flex Tip for the 45-70? It did wonders for my 35 Remington in a Marlin 336.

Yes.

I have some for use in my 44 mag pistols. However, IMPO, the Hornady 265 grain interlocks are better out of my 4 inch, 44 mag at 1200+/- fps.

I must admit I struggle with the point of the FTX bullet in 44 mag rifles.

Yes you get a pointy bullet which loses speed slower but you are supposed to trim the case right back to keep the OAL in spec and you get less powder so the bullet leaves slower...

Seems daft to me

I must admit I struggle with the point of the FTX bullet in 44 mag rifles.

Yes you get a pointy bullet which loses speed slower but you are supposed to trim the case right back to keep the OAL in spec and you get less powder so the bullet leaves slower...

Seems daft to me
@Scrumbag.
That's why I built my 444 on a bolt action. No trimming equals more powder and velocity as well as recoil.
It was fun.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross