Ok IT guys

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by RogerHeintzman, Aug 18, 2017.

1. RogerHeintzman

RogerHeintzman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI (Sioux Falls, SD) RMEF, NWTF, NRA, NTA, BCSC, SDTA, NDTA, P&Y,
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia
    Why is it EVERY time I visit AH forum, no other sites do it, , my computer either goes dark, pop-up with Internet Explore has stopped working, screen flashes, cursor moves but no letters show up, this just started with this message.
    Does this site have a virus? Is it my computer?

Thanks for your help.

Roger

2. huntermn15

huntermn15 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, AK SCI
    Hunted:
    U.S.A. NJ, TX, AZ, AK. Limpopo and the Kalihari in South Africa. Eastern Cape RSA 2017.
    I have never had a problem and I've been on for at least 3 years now.

3. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Try using chrome instead of internet explorer

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    No viruses

I expect your software may need an update.

5. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    No issues on my end

6. RogerHeintzman

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia
    Thanks Dr. Ray,
    OK, all set up with Google Chrome, seems to run faster. Will see how it goes.

Dr Ray likes this.

7. brushmore

brushmore AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    South Africa
    You didn't say which version of Windows or Internet Explorer or Windows you are using. If it's old stop using it now. But there are two things you can do to improve Internet Explorer. As someone mentioned make sure you have all the latest updates. Second, go to the settings and delete the cache/history clean. Often sites leave a lot of crap behind that will slow things down.

8. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA Life Member, 2nd Ammendm't Fdn Life Member, LA Shooting Assoc'n Life Member, Gun Owners of America Member, & SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club Member.
    Win 10, latest version & all updates. MS Edge, IE-11 & Chrome, all working. Have moved Edge to the top of my default browsers list.

I religiously run CCLeaner, Malwarebytes, and ADWCleaner behind Windows Defender and MS Firewall. If you haven't done so already, maybe give these a try to see if performance improves. About once a month I do have CCLeaner dump the DNS Cache just for good measure.

Good luck ...

9. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    + 1

10. edward

edward GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    everything working here.

11. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    I use Firefox, no problems whatsoever.

12. Brent in Az

Brent in Az AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    Google Corporation is the Liberal devil.
    I use Firefox on my laptop, and am converting my android over to it. Never had problems with Firefox.

13. Philip Glass

Philip Glass LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Zimbabwe, Texas
    I'm all Mac now so no viruses at least. But good comments here.

Rob404 likes this.

14. Mike B

Mike B AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD)
    FYI Apple recommends anti-virus now. There are more and more viruses coming out for Mac. I own an IT company and while Apple stuff does seem to have less issue we see more viruses out there for it recently.

As for the original post - someone already said it. Sounds like you need to run updates, etc and I would recommend chrome or Firefox anyway. I haven't had any issues with AH in any browser.

Philip Glass likes this.

15. RogerHeintzman

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thanks all,
    Changing to chrome seems to taken care of my problems. I'll clean out my history again. Updates I'll try and figure it out.
    I am not a computer person by any means so it is a pain to understand somethings and figure it out.
    Hell, I could not find a dumb phone when wanting to get ride of my flip phone and ended up with a smart phone. I know enough to use it for what I need, sending invoices, pictures etc. Ha Ha!

16. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Apple has always been *relatively* malware free because it was such a fringe part of the market that malicious actors didn't pay much attention to it. In my trade, we call that "security via obscurity." It isn't really secure.

FWIW, Apple is STILL about 7-8 years behind Microsoft on the native security built into the OS. Any malicious actor that knows Linux and Unix operating systems can completely take apart Mac's OSX, since it's built on top of an OS called FreeBSD. FreeBSD is an offshoot of Unix.

AfricaHunting.com and bilmcc like this.

17. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Or try using Opera or Vivaldi. They both run on the chromium engine, but without all of the bloatware and spying that comes with Chrome itself.

AfricaHunting.com likes this.

18. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    I would recommend uninstalling CCleaner and ADWCleaner - they contain Trojans and other spyware.

Dumping your DNS cache actually slows down browsing and doesn't give any security advantages. If you've got malware jacking with DNS, it'll be in the form of establishing a permanent proxy that routes all of your internet traffic through a malicious server before it forwards your DNS requests on to their final destination. This is what's called a man-in-the-middle attack, and allows them to intercept and decrypt secure traffic (to steal your credentials) to places like your bank or your credit card companies.

Pheroze and AfricaHunting.com like this.

19. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    I'm the endpoint security engineer for my company - I manage all of the tools that keep bad guys out of computers. I don't have a single tool in my tool kit that will stop bad guys from exploiting the incredibly stupid things Apple keeps doing. FWIW, Apple's native security is about as good as Windows XP.

Read here for their latest screw-up in a laundry list of amazingly stupid screw-ups: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/28/macos-high-sierra-bug-admin-access/

I-phones seem to be fine, security-wise, but the guys running the shop for the laptop/desktop operating system... I'd say that their practices are sloppy, but this latest blunder doesn't even approach being as good as "sloppy." This is an organizational problem that has lasted years, and goes back to when Jobs was still alive and kicking and running the show.

I will give Apple credit where it's due - they have an amazingly good marketing department.

20. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Get rid of CCleaner and ADWCleaner. They're notorious for being infested with malware, particularly Trojan horses. If you want to keep using MWB, get the paid version. If the version of MWB you're using didn't quarantine both CCleaner and ADWCleaner, then MWB has slipped a bit over the years. BitDefender is a good AV program, and isn't terribly expensive, especially if you buy the family plan where you can protect up to 5 PCs and several smart phones - I think it's about $125/year for all of that.

VirusTotal is a web site that keeps track of identified malware from about 60 or 70 of the top AV vendors. In general, more than about 3 or 4 red entries for a given file means you're very likely looking at malware. This particular CCleaner file has 36 red entries out of about 60. https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/bea487b2b0370189677850a9d3f41ba308d0dbd2504ced1e8957308c43ae4913

The very best thing you can do to protect your computer is to install the patches that MS releases as soon as they are released. If you have Adobe Flash Player, uninstall it. If you have any other Adobe products, including Adobe reader, get rid of them, too. Use Foxit or Nitro for viewing PDF files. If a website requires you to use Adobe Flash Player to view their videos, don't trust them - youtube has been using a different technology for a couple years now - HTML 5. Any more, MS Edge and Google Chrome have Flash Player embedded as part of the browser itself. Just ensure that you're patching both Edge and Chrome as often as patches become available.

If you have Java installed, and you absolutely have to have it, make sure that it is set to auto-update itself. The current version is 8u151. If you have any version older than about 8u131, you have some potential problems.

Along with endpoint protection, I run the network scanning tool across our entire corporate environment. Week in and week out, the two products that always show up with the most vulnerabilities that can be exploited by malware are Java and Adobe Flash Player. They are always #1 and #2, respectively. 3rd place usually rotates between 4 or 5 things. There are, literally, thousands of published exploits that take advantage of weaknesses in Java and Adobe Flash Player. By "published," I mean that there are places in the regular internet where you can download viruses, or read how to create custom code, or use exploit kits that are bundled in security/hacking tools. Thousands upon thousands for just those two products alone.

Good AV software is secondary to patching/updating. A distant second.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017