Ok I am booked— thanks for all the help

friendswoodmatt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well— I finally got it all sorted. Next July the Wife and I will be in Africa. Thanks to all who responded to my threads asking questions. We are going on our first safari!
Itinerary is as follows:
Fly from Houston on Qatar to Doha, short layover and from Doha to Johannesburg, (Thanks Lori at travel express for the great deal) We opted for the Q-suites business class as I am not a great flyer and the idea of a lay flat bed— where hopefully I can sleep -was super appealing- and to be honest a neccessity— the wife and I will be able to lay our chairs flat and it makes into one big (well reasonably) for both of us on the Houston to Doha leg. It should be cool. The Doha to Johannesburg leg is a normal seat as they don’t have the same aircraft.
We get in super early in the morning and then fly to Port Elizabeth and arrive noonish. We will be met by the first PH there — Wolma Kemp of Africa Anyway Safaris— we will spend the next 14 days with Kemp and his family — towards the last of our trip our friends who live next to us here in Texas will join our camp— they have hunted with Kempy and his family numerous times and made the introduction. I met many of the board sponsors at the DSC show in 2020, but ultimately my wife (who is shooting a Sable) said that she felt most comfortable with Kemp as her PH, so we booked with him.
We have a decent list of stuff to take with Kemp, and if time permits, we are going to the Elephant park as well as a winery or two.
After this 14 days is up— we are flying from Port Elizabeth to Polokwane to hunt and sightsee with another friend at Thaba-Tala in All Days, Limpopo. Johan came to my place in the Texas hill country to hunt free range axis deer and was a delight to hunt with, and invited us to his house to return the favor.
So we have 14 days at his concession and his family ranch. the first 6 days we will be hunting Kudu and other stuff, then we are driving to Victoria falls with he and his partner, we are going to stay at the Victoria falls hotel for 3 days and do the falls sightseeing, then we go to Chobe river lodge to sightsee and tiger fish for a couple days, then back in the truck and we go to kruger — we are touring kruger and driving south for the next 3 days to see the park the goal here is to see the big five as well and checking a few of the other boxes for the park like Gods window etc. . We will be staying at different tent camps on the way south so that we may work our way back to the airport, we then get back onto Qatar and fly home.
Should be 17-19 days hunting and then 9-11 days sightseeing. Countries will be South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique I think.
I am hoping I havent forgotten anything and I tried to be reasonable about what I could cram into our first safari— I hope I havent missed any “gotta see its” but if I did and this trip lives up to the hype— Ill go back and can check those boxes then.
I am excited, hopefully time will pass quickly before now and then.

Congrats on the booking! Sounds like a big time!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like an incredible adventure. Looking forward to the reports.

dont mess around for a "first" safari

enjoy

That's one hell of a first safari! Good luck and shoot straight!

Wow! First one will be a great one! Congratulations, good luck, and I will definitely be waiting to read that report!
Have fun!

Wow that’s a massive trip. Best of luck!
Philip

Damn that’s a real life dream for a first timer. Very best of luck— enjoy

Congrats!!!! I’m excited for you, there is nothing like your first trip to Africa. If you need assistance with the taxidermy please give me a shout. We would live to bring your special memories back to life for you.

You Texans do things in a BIG way. All joking aside this should be a fantastic trip. Remember "pictures" or it didn't happen.

You Texans do things in a BIG way. All joking aside this should be a fantastic trip. Remember "pictures" or it didn't happen.
To be honest— I could go on a much shorter safari and then plan on going back a number of times, I chose not to because of a couple of factors —
1. I dont like to fly- I am not scared, I get claustrophobic after about 9 or 10 hours in that tin can— so I wanted to make the most of the torture I have to endure to get there— I wanted to stay long enough so that I am not worried about the return trips soon as I land and to make those flights as tolerable as possible.
2. I was told by a number of people the jet lag was gonna play hell with me for the first 2-3 days and as such I wanted enough time to recover and be “myself” on this trip as it were
3. A number of factors in my personal life have come up over the last year to cause me to start believing that now is the time to do this— I dont want to be regretting it later or have something happen that precludes me from doing it later. So its get it while you can if that makes sense.
Josey Wales said it best “Get busy living or get busy dieing”

Sounds like an awesome adventure, congrats on planning it, enjoy, and be sure to share a report with lots of pictures!

Well— I finally got it all sorted. Next July the Wife and I will be in Africa. Thanks to all who responded to my threads asking questions. We are going on our first safari!
Itinerary is as follows:
Fly from Houston on Qatar to Doha, short layover and from Doha to Johannesburg, (Thanks Lori at travel express for the great deal) We opted for the Q-suites business class as I am not a great flyer and the idea of a lay flat bed— where hopefully I can sleep -was super appealing- and to be honest a neccessity— the wife and I will be able to lay our chairs flat and it makes into one big (well reasonably) for both of us on the Houston to Doha leg. It should be cool. The Doha to Johannesburg leg is a normal seat as they don’t have the same aircraft.
We get in super early in the morning and then fly to Port Elizabeth and arrive noonish. We will be met by the first PH there — Wolma Kemp of Africa Anyway Safaris— we will spend the next 14 days with Kemp and his family — towards the last of our trip our friends who live next to us here in Texas will join our camp— they have hunted with Kempy and his family numerous times and made the introduction. I met many of the board sponsors at the DSC show in 2020, but ultimately my wife (who is shooting a Sable) said that she felt most comfortable with Kemp as her PH, so we booked with him.
We have a decent list of stuff to take with Kemp, and if time permits, we are going to the Elephant park as well as a winery or two.
After this 14 days is up— we are flying from Port Elizabeth to Polokwane to hunt and sightsee with another friend at Thaba-Tala in All Days, Limpopo. Johan came to my place in the Texas hill country to hunt free range axis deer and was a delight to hunt with, and invited us to his house to return the favor.
So we have 14 days at his concession and his family ranch. the first 6 days we will be hunting Kudu and other stuff, then we are driving to Victoria falls with he and his partner, we are going to stay at the Victoria falls hotel for 3 days and do the falls sightseeing, then we go to Chobe river lodge to sightsee and tiger fish for a couple days, then back in the truck and we go to kruger — we are touring kruger and driving south for the next 3 days to see the park the goal here is to see the big five as well and checking a few of the other boxes for the park like Gods window etc. . We will be staying at different tent camps on the way south so that we may work our way back to the airport, we then get back onto Qatar and fly home.
Should be 17-19 days hunting and then 9-11 days sightseeing. Countries will be South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique I think.
I am hoping I havent forgotten anything and I tried to be reasonable about what I could cram into our first safari— I hope I havent missed any “gotta see its” but if I did and this trip lives up to the hype— Ill go back and can check those boxes then.
I am excited, hopefully time will pass quickly before now and then.
Awesome trip!!! Extremely well done! Please report back to us on hunt

Awesome! It sounds like an absolutely grand adventure!
Please share it with us!

Looks like you have a great trip planned. Took me 3 trips to get all that done. Make sure you take journal so you can give us a detailed report on your return. Will be watching for your report.

Wow...looking forward to that report!

Thanks— I would have loved to have been on your deal, but this first one—the wife wants it to just be us. And thanks for all your advice—
Have fun and we will hunt together one day!

You are doing ALLLLL that....
And you really think you are done asking for help?
You are just getting warmed up my friend.
That's alright, AH is here for you.

Congratulations to you and your wife on the booking.
Looking forward to the hunt/sightseeing report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you